Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Why not just name it the Imperial Union, or the Imperial Federation or something, it doesn't include Britain at all in the name since it is way more then just Britain

Why not just name it the Imperial Union, or the Imperial Federation or something, it doesn't include Britain at all in the name since it is way more then just Britain
But it would primarily contain people whose view of themselves is "I am a British citizen", no matter if where they live and grew-up on is strictly the island of Great Britain or not.

Worth pointing out that the pro-Independence faction in Malta boycotted the referendum in significant numbers, which was also a factor in disregarding it.

I think it was still probably a slight pro-integration majority, but more like 55% than 75%

Worth pointing out that the pro-Independence faction in Malta boycotted the referendum in significant numbers, which was also a factor in disregarding it.

I think it was still probably a slight pro-integration majority, but more like 55% than 75%
I've never understood why mass movements boycott referendums and votes. I cannot think of a single actually good reason it would be done, unless you're recognising that your movement doesn't have popular support so you want to get everyone to doubt the vote's legitimacy, which is basically admitting that you're wrong.

Now that we are on this topic:
india-png.240232

How it should have been partitioned Gang. Uk keeps the islands. Britannia still rules the waves. Balkanised and balkanised.
Boo Flipping Yaa!

Not quite a proposal, just a map that was made during a time when quite a bunch of borders hadn't been settled yet (found at reddit).

View attachment 576603
Interesting that they labeled Bosnia, Montenegro, and Serbia, but not any of the Croatian kingdoms. I suppose they didn’t think of it as important or that it would be too much text. Can anyone see if the eastern half of Istria is brown here or if it is the Yugoslavian pink? Doesn’t look like they settled on a border for Turkey with Syria yet, plus they used to have a different border for Tunisia. Such fun things, these old maps. I don’t remember even readying about a Terek Republic, and yet here it is with the Cossack states. Ahhh, and that border point the Hungarians share with three other states. And such a blob around Kola.
india-png.240232

How it should have been partitioned Gang. Uk keeps the islands. Britannia still rules the waves. Balkanised and balkanised.
Boo Flipping Yaa!
I read proposals of the UK keeping the Nicobar and Andaman Islands and settling them with displaced Anglo-Indians. The few Indian islands not shown here. Then again, I also once read Someone propose attaching Iraq to the Ram and settling it with Indian workers. Which, given the current state of the various Gulf States, made them ahead of their time.
Makes perfect sense, as I think they claim to have the mountain that Noah ‘s Ark landed on within their country. Though it might be in the formerly Armenian populated areas of Turkey now.

What’s that and how does it applies here
Something about the British being the only country to govern colonies properly, partially due to something bout states being peaceful after independence. Well, not committing genocide and invading neighbors. Uganda was Catholic, so they weren’t considered counting. Can’t say I understand which post it is aimed at though.

Last edited:
I've never understood why mass movements boycott referendums and votes. I cannot think of a single actually good reason it would be done, unless you're recognising that your movement doesn't have popular support so you want to get everyone to doubt the vote's legitimacy, which is basically admitting that you're wrong.

It's often a 'we don't believe this vote is going to be fair' case.

Bangladesh has it happening on regular occasions, usually whenever the opposition believes the government is rigging the election and doesn't want to give it the legitimacy of looking like its actually won the election.

It's often a 'we don't believe this vote is going to be fair' case.

Bangladesh has it happening on regular occasions, usually whenever the opposition believes the government is rigging the election and doesn't want to give it the legitimacy of looking like its actually won the election.
I mean, in the Malta example they definitely weren't rigging it.

No, but I believe that many of the Princely states actually wanted to remain independent
That is certainly true in the case of Hyderabad, Travancore, and Sikkim, and likely true in the case of Jammu and Kashmir, and many others.

It is more that I was confused by some of the other aspects - Balochistan that includes part of Sindh, Kashmir that includes part of the North-West Frontier Province, and in particular the independent Madras.

india-png.240232

Boo Flipping Yaa!
Hoo boy don't get me started on this one.... hard to make it more Balkanized than pre-1947, with, what, about 16 provinces and 565 princely states? That's enough to keep even the most ardent cartographer busy for a while! :D

Interesting that they labeled Bosnia, Montenegro, and Serbia, but not any of the Croatian kingdoms. I suppose they didn’t think of it as important or that it would be too much text. Can anyone see if the eastern half of Istria is brown here or if it is the Yugoslavian pink? Doesn’t look like they settled on a border for Turkey with Syria yet, plus they used to have a different border for Tunisia. Such fun things, these old maps. I don’t remember even readying about a Terek Republic, and yet here it is with the Cossack states. Ahhh, and that border point the Hungarians share with three other states. And such a blob around Kola.

I read proposals of the UK keeping the Nicobar and Andaman Islands and settling them with displaced Anglo-Indians. The few Indian islands not shown here. Then again, I also once read Someone propose attaching Iraq to the Ram and settling it with Indian workers. Which, given the current state of the various Gulf States, made them ahead of their time.

Makes perfect sense, as I think they claim to have the mountain that Noah ‘s Ark landed on within their country. Though it might be in the formerly Armenian populated areas of Turkey now.
Yeah, in the Caucasus there were two Cossack "states" at one time, the Terek Republic and the Kuban Republic...