Prince Henry lives

Kadyet

Banned
Working on a timeline right now where one of the PODs is that Prince Henry, son of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon, lives (he lived for about 52 days or so, born 1511). Bit stimied though: Who's an eligible Hapsburg princess (Austrian or Spanish branch) that he might marry, say around the mid-1530's?

And were there any Stuart princes that Mary might have been married off to?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Kadyet said:
Working on a timeline right now where one of the PODs is that Prince Henry, son of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon, lives (he lived for about 52 days or so, born 1511). Bit stimied though: Who's an eligible Hapsburg princess (Austrian or Spanish branch) that he might marry, say around the mid-1530's?

He's a new one to me. Interesting, I had assumed this thread was about Henry Fitzroy.

So, an adult male heir to Henry VIII ?

I believe there were plans to marry Mary to James V (first cousin) before all the problems over her legitimacy after the OTL divorce. Margaret may well then push ahead with these plans.

Grey Wolf

Thande

Donor
Good grief, I never knew Catherine gave Henry an heir, even one who died so quickly. I thought she was sterile.

Well, the obvious knock-on effect is no Protestant England, and maybe an alliance between England and Spain against France and Scotland.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Thande said:
Good grief, I never knew Catherine gave Henry an heir, even one who died so quickly. I thought she was sterile.

Well, she obviously wasn't sterile as she was the mother of Mary II

I was going to say something really interesting about politics, royal marriages etc, but have forgotten what !

When was the Cloth of Gold in relation to all this ? And Brandon being made a duke ? So much happens in Henry's reign you get confused about where it all fits together

Grey Wolf

Kadyet said:

As the division between Spanish and Austrian branch didn't occur before 1556 when Emperor Charles V abdicated, the only possible Hapsburg princesses would be his sisters:

1. Eleonor, b. 1498, married King Manoel of Portugal, then King Francis I. of France,
2. Isabella, b. 1501, married King Christian of Denmark II, died 1526
3. Mary, b. 1505, married King Louis I. of Hungary. She was widowed by 1526...
4. Catherine, b. 1507, married King John III of Portugal.

Charles didn't have Children until 1527 (the future Philip II of Spain), his Brother Ferdinand until the same year (the future emperor Maximilian II).

The House of Valois could offer Princesses Madeleine (1520-1537) and Marguerite (1523-1574)

Grey Wolf

Donor
Martin said:
As the division between Spanish and Austrian branch didn't occur before 1556 when Emperor Charles V abdicated, the only possible Hapsburg princesses would be his sisters:

1. Eleonor, b. 1498, married King Manoel of Portugal, then King Francis I. of France,
2. Isabella, b. 1501, married King Christian of Denmark II, died 1526
3. Mary, b. 1505, married King Louis I. of Hungary. She was widowed by 1526...
4. Catherine, b. 1507, married King John III of Portugal.

Charles didn't have Children until 1527 (the future Philip II of Spain), his Brother Ferdinand until the same year (the future emperor Maximilian II).

The House of Valois could offer Princesses Madeleine (1520-1537) and Marguerite (1523-1574)

You have to count in the Burgundian branch IIRC, and did he not have any cousins etc ? I admit I'm a bit dim on all of this...

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
http://www.historyonthenet.com/Tudors/catherine_aragon_timeline.htm

This is fascinating - I had always assumed that Henry jumped to marry her after Arthur's death but there is delay and deceit aplenty here. We all thought "a couple of months" here....but SEVEN years ???

31 Jan 1510
Stillborn daughter

1 Jan 1511
Birth of Prince Henry, created Prince of Wales

22 Feb 1511
Death of Prince Henry

Nov 1513
Birth and death of a son, created Duke of Cornwall

8 Jan 1515
Stillborn son

18 Feb 1516
Birth of Princess Mary

Nov 1518
Birth and death of a daughter

Henry begins to have doubts about his marriage !

I think one can see why there was shock he wanted to divorce her - after 14 years and six children !

http://www.btinternet.com/~timeref/hstt60.htm

1511 Jan 1 - Birth of Henry's first son
Catherine gave birth to a boy on the first of January but the child did not live long and died in February of the same year.

http://www.larmouth.demon.co.uk/sarah-jayne/wives/wives.html
Says 'twenty years of marriage' but... If it was not formalised until 1509 then it was rather less than this...
After twenty years of marriage, she had only given birth to one girl, Mary, later to become known as Bloody Mary (although she had many miscarriages and still-births in that time).
But she had three live births as well !!!

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
You have to count in the Burgundian branch IIRC, and did he not have any cousins etc ? I admit I'm a bit dim on all of this...

Grey Wolf

No. There was no burgundian branch. Around 1500, the Hapsburg Family was somehow in a bottleneck; Emperor Frederick III had just one surviving son (and one daughter named Kunigunde), the later emperor Maximilian who married Mary of Burgundy, the only daughter of Charles the Bold. From this marriage issued two children: Archduke Philip, the father of Charles V. and a daughter named Margaret, which married three times, but had no children (Ok, Max also had quite a bunch of illegitimate children...). The family then spreads again within the austrian branch with the sons of Ferdinand I.

Btw, here you can find information about the lineage of the nobility of most europe contries: http://www8.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/cgi-bin/stoyan/wwp/LANG=engl/?e1