prime-minister's boundary review

So I've been using the Boundary Assistant Plan Builder to create a possible near-future UK constituency map. I'm starting by uploading the full map, and future posts will focus in on each county.

CONTEXTUAL EVENTS:

• Scotland has left the United Kingdom.
  • The 600-seat review has been rejected a second time.
  • Zac Goldsmith became Mayor of London and has begun to make cutbacks which involved removing certain areas from the GLA's control. Havering and Barking & Dagenham are now under the jurisdiction of Essex County Council; Kingston-on-Thames, Sutton, Merton (except for the Wimbledon area) and Croydon are distinguished as parts of Surrey; and Bromley and Bexley (plus Thamesmead) are boroughs of Kent.
As with most of my stuff it's probably ASB, but nevertheless, here's the map:

PM's boundary review.png

Some of these are a bit... painful. South Northumberland, Mid-Nottinghamshire, that thing in Cambridgeshire and especially the monstrosity along the Tamar could do with a bit of a redesign. I'm interested to see these constituencies in bit more detail, though.

Some interesting ideas there, aside from the gerrymander style snakes I see Hereford and Worcester makes a comeback? Also, at this rate you might as well rename Greater London to Middlesex.

That Northern Ireland... It makes the boundaries for the original Stormont Govt. look good...

To be fair, it was kind of meant to be very different from the current boundaries, and my skills at adapting the boundaries to a basemap with Paint are limited.

Well, apart from the fact that I think the electorate sizes are really variable Derbyshire doesn't look too bad, but there are so many of those really elongated constituencies which just look... American.

Here's the first enlargement, Northamptonshire.

• East Northamptonshire- takes in most of what in OTL is Corby but without the town itself, instead incorporating a few wards of Kettering and Wellingborough. A Tory stronghold.
  • Kettering and Corby- if there's any seat I would expect people to see as a source of gerrymandering, it might be Kettering and Corby. This is, in effect, the two towns which the seat is named for, and with less of a Tory element counterbalancing the fiercely Labour town of Corby, this is likely to produce a marginal which is much harder for the Tories to win than the seats in OTL.
  • Daventry- a mix of the rural elements of western Kettering Borough and the majority of Daventry borough. Like East Northants, solidly Tory.
  • South Northamptonshire- a little bit of southern Daventry and most of South Northants district itself, and predictably enough, solidly blue.
  • Northampton West- the name says it all, really. Your average Labour-Tory marginal.
  • Northampton East- unlike the original Northampton South seat, which had a big rural element which trended Tory, this is pretty much just wards from the city itself. As such, it's another key marginal.
  • Wellingborough- with a few extra South Northants wards added to the seat and some actual Wellingborough ones going to East Northants and Daventry, this is probably no longer in play for Labour even in landslide years.

Northants.png