Prewar U.S. tanks see action?

The Valiant thread has got me thinking - how would tanks in production in the United States in 1939 fare during the opening phases of the Second World War? I know that the U.S. Army watched the Battle of France and essentially said "Oh hell, we're going to need a big gun in our tanks, aren't we," and begat the M3 medium as a stopgap while developing the Sherman. But how would what we built in 1939 actually have performed on the battlefield in 1939 and 1940? I'm speaking specifically about the M2 series light tanks, and the M2 series of medium tanks. Let's leave anything experimental or Marmon-Harrington-ish out of this for now.

In my opinion, the M2 light tanks probably would have been a pretty good outfit, at least the M2A4 version with the 37mm gun. This version did see service with the US in the Pacific Theater, and really can be considered about equal the later M3 light tanks for all practical purposes. On paper, it should be on par with any light tank fielded by the Germans (or anyone else) early in the war in terms of armor and firepower. The earlier M2A3 twin turret tank with only machine guns doesn't have any anti-armor ability to speak of - but one of the MG's is a .50 Browning, which probably has enough punch (with AP rounds) to make things dicey for a Panzer 1 or Panzer 2 (or an armored car or halftrack). And they are quick - always a good thing in a light tank. And, they do have a drivetrain that has a reputation for reliability and reparability.

Here's where I'm going to catch some grief. I think the Medium M2 would have done acceptably well if it had squared off against the Germans in 1939 and 1940 (or the Soviets, if the Finns had a passel of them). Yes, it's a stupid design, way too tall and all sponson-y. Yes, there are too many machine guns. Yes, it has those goofy deflector plates on the back corners. Yes, it's riveted. Yes, it only has a 37mm peashooter. But hear me out. In 1939/40, it's a real contender. Let's start with the gun. It's only a 37mm, but it's a direct development from the German 3.7cm Pak 36 - which was good enough for a Panzer 3 though, what, the Ausf F? Or the 38(t) though it's whole run? At any rate, it's got enough punch to take on both a PzIII or 38(t) in this time frame. Armor wise, it has 28mm of armor on the front glacis - a well sloped glacis at that. Admittedly, those MG sponsons are shot-traps and the whole thing is too damn high - but the main gun is in the turret on top, not down in the hull like an Italian M11/39. An M2 could get hull down, if you find enough berm or hole. Finally, they have a well-designed drivetrain - again, reliable and repairable - something that can't be said for many machines fielded in the beginning of the war.

How would any of these seen any action in Europe before the US joins in December 1941? That, I don't have an answer for. Have the Norwegians purchase some M2A3 light tanks in 1939, maybe enough for a company, and have them out on training maneuvers when the Germans attack in 1940? Have the Canadians create their armored Corps a year earlier, run into the same tank sourcing troubles they do in our timeline - so in 1939 they buy a trainload of "obsolete scrap vehicles for training" that includes M2 lights and M2 mediums, in addition to the M1917's and MkVIII's they received in our timeline. When the war starts, an armored Company ends up joining the BEF in France...

marathag

Banned
Last thing, US Radios were the best of anyone in 1939, and these were the AM units that would be replaced with the even better FM units in 1940.
Reliabily, also best in the world.
Problem is, the US had issues with the 37mm ammo, Q/C issues with the heat treat that would also plague the 75mm at first.
But the HE and canister was just fine

The Army's decision to go over to the 75mm was shown in test, that the 75mm pack howtzer HE was far more destructive than the 37mm

One early 1941 attempt after the M2 with the pack 75mm in the side sponson of 1939, was this from 1941, to get the howitzer onto the M3 chassis
T18 GMC
1611884553102.png

Not that great of an effort, replace by the M8 GMC that had that 75mm in a turret

Good point on the radios. That alone gives them a huge advantage over any of the other players during this time. I wasn't aware of the early QC problems with 37mm AP rounds, but I can't say it surprises me. Still, if you could get in close with an American tank, assuming you give your MG's AP ammo, you could gnaw away with the multitude of .30's you bring to bear at any one time until something important on the other guy gives out or you blind them entirely.

As an aside, the superstructure on that Howitzer toting M3 must be wicked thick - I'm pretty sure a pack 75 tube doesn't weigh *that* much more than a 37mm. Certainly not enough to squat out the suspension that much.

marathag

Banned
What was the US armoured doctrine prior to the Louisiana (and associated) Manoeuvres?
Big on infantry support.
McNair monkeywrenched things with rules, that machine guns and tank main guns could not knock out his beloved Anti-tank guns, making the MG festooned M2 and M3 rather pointless.