Preview of the War We Do Not Want

• Thread starter Deleted member 2186
  • Start date

Deleted member 2186

Preview of the War We Do Not Want

colliers_10_27_1951_cvr.jpg

Collier's Magazine, a american magazine on October 27th 1951 devoted a entire 130-page issue to narrate the events in a hypothetical Third World War, in a feature article entitled Preview of the War We Do Not Want - an Imaginary Account of Russia's defeat and Occupation, 1952-60. Twenty writers, including Edward R. Murrow, Arthur Koestler, Philip Wylie, Hal Boyle, and Walter Winchell, contributed to the article. The war, in which the United Nations is victorious over the Soviet Union, takes place from 1952 to 1955. Nuclear weapons are extensively used, but do not have the apocalyptic effects envisaged in other speculative scenarios.

Another link to the same issues can be read here - Collier's russia's defeat & occupation ore you can download the entire document here: Preview of the War We Do Not Want PDF

[URL='http://www.unz.org/Pub/Colliers-1951oct27-00006']Operation Eggnog, pp. 6-13.

Principal Events of World War III, pp. 14-16.

The Unwanted War, p. 17.

The Third World War by Robert E. Sherwood, p. 18.

A-Bomb Mission to Moscow by Edward R. Murrow, p. 19.

Washington Under the Bomb by Hal Boyle, pp. 20-21.

How the War Was Fought by Hanson W. Baldwin, pp. 22-28.

I Saw Them Chute into the Urals by Lowell Thomas, pp. 29-31.

Freedom---At Long Last by Arthur Koestler, pp. 32-33.

We Worship God Again by Oksana Kasenkina, p. 34.

Women of Russia by Marguerite Higgins, p. 35.

Out of the Rubble---A New Russia by Stuart Chase, p. 36.

Free Men at Work by Walter Reuther, p. 37.

The Curtain Rises by J.B. Priestley, p. 38.

Start the Presses! by Erwin Canham, p. 39.

Walter Winchell in Moscow by Walter Winchell, p. 39.

Free Thoughts, Free Words by Allan Nevins, p. 40.

Moscow Olympics by Red Smith, p. 41.

Philadelphia Phase by Philip Wylie, pp. 42-43.

Trouble at Tuaviti by John Savage, pp. 44-45.

The Present by Kathryn Morgan-Ryan, pp. 46-82.

Russia's Rebirth by Senator Margaret Chase Smith, pp. 83-99.

Miracle of American Production by Dr. Harry Schwartz, pp. 100-117.

Moscow Sketchbook by Howard Brodie, pp. 118-132.

Cover by Richard Deane Taylor.
[/URL]
Overall plot of World War III

In the scenario, Soviet and allied forces enter Yugoslavia in May 1952 to support an uprising organised by COMINTERN agents. After the Soviets refuse to leave, the United States and principal United Nations countries declare war. The US uses atomic bombs against Soviet strategic industrial complexes. Soviet forces then proceed to invade Germany, the Middle East, and Alaska. US forces are in retreat on all fronts, and Korea and Japan are evacuated. London, then Detroit, New York, and Hanford are hit with nuclear weapons.

In the following year a second salvo of Soviet bombs hit US cities. However, the US suffers fewer casualties than before, having built up its civil defence. UN forces eventually manage to contain invading Soviet forces in the different theatres of war. On July 22 Moscow is bombed by B-36s with nuclear weapons (witnessed by Murrow as an embedded journalist), in retaliation for a nuclear attack on Washington, D.C. The US turns to psychological warfare by emphasising that the UN is fighting for the liberation of the Russian people, and support is provided to guerrilla forces in Soviet satellite countries. A suicide task force of 10,000 US paratroopers destroy the last remaining Soviet nuclear stockpiles hidden in the Ural Mountains. Soviet forces are kept pinned down in Yugoslavia by resistance fighters.

In 1954, Lavrentiy Beriya becomes Soviet ruler; Stalin has mysteriously disappeared. Uprisings take place across the Soviet Union and satellite countries. UN forces push the Red Army back across Europe, and by year's end have reached Warsaw and the Ukrainian border. The Soviets are routed from Turkey and UN forces capture the Crimea. Vladivostok is seized by US Marines. Hostilities cease in the following year, and the Soviet Union plunges into chaos and internal revolt. The UN occupies parts of the Soviet Union under UNITOC, the United Nations Temporary Occupation Command.

Timeline of World War III

Assassination attempt on Marshal Tito's life, May lOth, precipitates Cominform-planned uprising in Yugoslavia. Troops from satellite nations of Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary, backed by Red Army, cross borders. Truman terms aggression "Kremlin inspired"; Reds call it "an internal matter."

Third World War begins when Moscow, still insisting that uprising is "the will of the Yugoslav people," refuses to withdraw Red Army units. Stalin miscalculates risk: had believed U.S. would neither back Tito nor fight alone. U.S. is joined by principal UN nations in declaration of war.

Neutrals include Sweden, Ireland, Switzerland, Egypt, India and Pakistan.

Saturation A-bombing of U.S.S.R. begins. Avoiding completely population centers. West concentrates on legitimate military targets only. Principal objectives: industrial installations; oil, steel and A-bomb plants.

Communists throughout West begin sabotage campaign. Trained saboteurs open attacks in U.S.

General Vassily Stalin, aviator son of Red dictator, becomes a UN prisoner of war.

Red Army, under vast air umbrella which outnumbers UN planes five to three, attacks across north German plain, in Baltic countries and through Middle East.

UN troops, fighting for time, retreat on all fronts, suffering heavy losses.

North American continent invaded when Red Army, in combined air-sea operation, lands in Alaska, occupying Nome and Little Diomede Island.

Reds A-bomb London and UN bases overseas.

Far East "Dunkerque" takes place when, under unremitting air and submarine attacks, U.S. occupation forces evacuate Korea for Japan.

U.S. A-bombed for first time when Red air force hits Detroit, New York and A-bomb plant at Hanford (Washington). Civil defense proves inadequate.

Turning point in war's first phase reached when atomic artillery smashes enemy offensive on Christmas Day in Europe.

U.S. A-bombed for second time. Bombers hit Chicago, New York, Washington and Philadelphia. Red submarines fire atomic-headed missiles into Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Norfolk (Virginia) and Bremerton (Washington).

Casualties greatly lessened by improved civil defense procedures.

UN air forces finally achieve air superiority over battle fronts.

Psychological warfare begins to play important role; propaganda emphasizes that UN is fighting war of liberation for Russian people; leaflet raids and broadcasts warn Russian people to evacuate areas scheduled for attack.

Moscow A-bombed midnight, July 22d, by B-36s in retaliation for Red A bomb terror raid on Washington. Planes flying from U.S. bases destroy center of Moscow. Area of damage: 20 square miles.

Suicide task force lands behind U.S.S.R. borders, destroys Soviets' last remaining A-bomb stockpile in underground chambers of Ural Mountains. Of 10,000 paratroopers and airborne units, 10 per cent survive.

UN Genera l Assembly issues momentous war-aims statement known as "Denver Declaration."

Underground forces in satellite countries receive arms and materials in UN plane-drops; highly trained guerrilla fighters parachute into U.S.S.R. to aid resistance movements and destroy specific targets.

Severest rationing since beginning of war introduced in U.S.

Yugoslav guerrilla fighters begin to tie down large numbers of Red troops.

A captured Soviet genera l reports disappearance of Stalin, reveals that MVD (secret police) Chief Beria is new Red dictator.

Uprisings take place in U.S.S.R. and satellite nations. UN parachutes Russian emigres into Soviet Union to aid dissident groups.

UN offensive begins on all fronts as West at last gains initiative.

Red Army gradually retreats, then disintegrates under onslaught of UN air and ground forces.

Three Red generals desert to UN forces.

UN armor spearhead captures Warsaw, reaches Pripet Marshes in Poland.

Another armored column crosses U.S.S.R. border into Ukraine.

UN forces clear Asiatic Turkey and cross border into Crimea.

Marines, in combined air-sea operation, capture and occupy Vladivostok.

Hostilities cease as U.S.S.R. degenerates into a state of chaos and internal revolt.

UN forces begin occupation duties in satellite nations and Ukraine.

UNTTOC -United Nations Temporary Occupation Command—set up in Moscow.

Would the West really go under the UN banner in the event of WWIII?

I would think that the UN would essentially go into limbo like the League of Nations before it until after the War.

I would think that the UN would essentially go into limbo like the League of Nations before it until after the War.
Me too, most likely the US and its allies would replace the UN with an alternative with only them as the leading alliance and nobody else.

Garrison

Donor

Yes but consider that at the time this was being written the US and others were fighting under a UN banner in Korea, doubtless that was seen as a template.

Deleted member 2186

Yes but consider that at the time this was being written the US and others were fighting under a UN banner in Korea, doubtless that was seen as a template.
That i was was thinking also.

I'll have to say though, it's quite accurate when it comes to the US nuking plenty of Soviet cities in retaliation to Soviet aggression but it has been argued that it would have otherwise ended the war far sooner than the magazine's version had.

I'll have to say though, it's quite accurate when it comes to the US nuking plenty of Soviet cities in retaliation to Soviet aggression but it has been argued that it would have otherwise ended the war far sooner than the magazine's version had.

This early, I don't think there would be enough warheads, with many not a large enough size, to have stopped the war. The Soviets didn't have many (how did they reach targets in US? smuggled in? suicide planes/ships? They don't have bases close enough to reach at this point). The US would likely lose many bombers in the attempts to attack hardened targets, so they wouldn't be as successful.

Wonder what the outcome of this war would be, and its effect on Korea as well. If Korea is evacuated, is China in a position to move in? They have the manpower, but with the massive armies needed against the USSR as well... There's no telling.

Any initial thoughts on what would happen? Kaliningrad would be turned over (likely to Poland and Lithuania) Poland may get some of its eastern territory back (the Polish expulsion wasn't complete until after Stain's death). The various component republics would likely gain their independence. Other than that, I can't say off the top of my head.

Deleted member 2186

This early, I don't think there would be enough warheads, with many not a large enough size, to have stopped the war. The Soviets didn't have many (how did they reach targets in US? smuggled in? suicide planes/ships? They don't have bases close enough to reach at this point). The US would likely lose many bombers in the attempts to attack hardened targets, so they wouldn't be as successful.
Using TU-4 bombers copied from the U.S. B-29, wich were suicide missions, with planes unable to return to home bases and missiles fired from Soviet submarines

If Korea is evacuated, is China in a position to move in? They have the manpower, but with the massive armies needed against the USSR as well... There's no telling.

If I remember correct Sino-Soviet relationship was very good until Stalin's death. There wasn't any conflict between them to lead to military skirmish.

This early, I don't think there would be enough warheads, with many not a large enough size, to have stopped the war. The Soviets didn't have many (how did they reach targets in US? smuggled in? suicide planes/ships? They don't have bases close enough to reach at this point).

From Russian sources I heard that Soviets knew they can't retaliate effectively against US nuclear attack during early stages of Cold War. So Soviet strategy of nuclear-attack on US was to detonate large-yielding hydrogen bomb (smuggled by merchant ships) near/in the US coastal cities. This is reason why Soviets were obsessed with test of large hydrogen bombs.

From Russian sources I heard that Soviets knew they can't retaliate effectively against US nuclear attack during early stages of Cold War. So Soviet strategy of nuclear-attack on US was to detonate large-yielding hydrogen bomb (smuggled by merchant ships) near/in the US coastal cities. This is reason why Soviets were obsessed with test of large hydrogen bombs.
How are they supposed to attack the US from said ships? use an artillery gun or a missile launcher?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
One way trip.

Big bomb in hold of cargo ship. Push button.

As an aside, the Soviets simply lacked the inventory (the U.S. didn't realize this at the time) to conduct the sort of nuclear attacks postulated here. In 1952 their total inventory was 50 weapons, in 1953 it was 120 (comparable U.S. figures are 841 & 1169, with the U.S. weapons generally having higher yield) and the U.S. actually had systems that could deliver them, and, hopefully, get the crew and aircraft back. The Tu-4 was a one way ticket for any strike against the U.S. (and most Canadian population centers).

I understand the idea behind it and of course the last war was fought as the United Nations, but I think the Soviets would use their Security Council veto in the event this Yugoslav thing escalated.

But there would not I suppose be anything stopping the Allies from flying the UN flag and all if they wanted to.

Wonder what the outcome of this war would be, and its effect on Korea as well. If Korea is evacuated, is China in a position to move in? They have the manpower, but with the massive armies needed against the USSR as well... There's no telling.

Any initial thoughts on what would happen? Kaliningrad would be turned over (likely to Poland and Lithuania) Poland may get some of its eastern territory back (the Polish expulsion wasn't complete until after Stain's death). The various component republics would likely gain their independence. Other than that, I can't say off the top of my head.

Poland getting their eastern territories back is quite likely (probably with interest). Kalingrad going to Poland I find quite unlikely. It would probably go back to Germany, along with a good chunk of Eastern Pomerania and Silesia. There are an awful lot of exiles in Germany who want to return home.

This was on the SPD platform in the last West German election - so I can't imagine the governing right wing parties were to the left of that!

2d26fa1fc6fe3540f793c719c501b4b0.jpg

Poland getting their eastern territories back is quite likely (probably with interest). Kalingrad going to Poland I find quite unlikely. It would probably go back to Germany, along with a good chunk of Eastern Pomerania and Silesia. There are an awful lot of exiles in Germany who want to return home.

This was on the SPD platform in the last West German election - so I can't imagine the governing right wing parties were to the left of that!

Well, thing is, the first population exchanges have already been conducted by 1952. The vast majority of the Germans have already been expelled. Only have of the Poles were expelled from their eastern territories; the majority were only finished after the death of Stalin.

Now, I agree partly. If Germany does assist and provides a service against the Soviets, then yes, they will likely receive some of their old territories back. However, and I do believe this, any postwar decision will aim to keep the territories as contiguous as possible. This means no Prussian exclave left, as the Germans aren't in a position to negotiate for that.

Now, Pomerania, minus Deutsche Krone? I could see that. Parts of lower Silesia? Maybe. But upper Silesia, which was majority Polish prior to the war? Not happening. Perhaps they'd get Lwow, Brest, Grodno, and Vilnius back. I think the first three are easy; the latter one is more difficult.

However, the corridor was one of the problems that lead to the war in the first place. It seems unreasonable for the allies to simply return it after the war, especially after so many Germans have already been evacuated. Return the contiguous portions to the Germany as listed above, at most. Assign Kaliningrad to Poland, along with border adjustments for them. Maybe they go all the way back to Second Republic in the east, maybe not. But why would Germany be returned to prewar borders after the events of WW2, even in this scenario? I find it doubtful.

James G

Gone Fishin'
The map at the very top here shows Lithuania with Kaliningrad and Poland with its OTL borders to the north and east. There are no other changes on that partial map I can see.

The map at the very top here shows Lithuania with Kaliningrad and Poland with its OTL borders to the north and east. There are no other changes on that partial map I can see.

Correct, it does; to me, it looks like a quick map edit to show the solid block of countries. I was just wondering if the Allies were planning on restoring any borders to Pre-Soviet ones in the event of such an attack; I find it incredibly likely.

Poland1937linguistic.jpg

Again, only half of the Poles had been deported from the East at this point, so there are still may left, especially in the Belarus region. The Curzon B line also shows Poland being partitioned with Lwow included. I see them retaining that at the least.

Germany might regain some contiguous bits that were once hers, but other than a bit of Pomerania and a bit of Silesia, they won't get anything else. East Prussia will be divided between Poland and Lithuania, with the latter receiving a large chunk as compensation for Vilnius.