Presidential Reign Names

It's occurred to me that there is, in many cultures, a long-standing tradition of a ruler adopting a new name upon assuming the throne, or otherwise modifying their name due to some great feat or accomplishment, for example Augustus, or Scipio Africanus, with many other Eastern rulers besides.

It then struck me that the early American political tradition was very much to make the presidency as apolitical as possible, or at least in appearance; to try and elevate him above partisan politics and make him a kind of figurehead for the nation.

Therefore, I don't think it too implausible that 'reign-names' might have become a political tradition in America, with a president adopting a ceremonial name for his term in office in order to distinguish between the President-in-office and the private citizen.

So what do we think of the idea, and would we care to suggest some reign-names that OTL presidents could have chosen.

My personal suggestions are Franklin Delano Roosevelt 'Victor' and, of course, George Washington, known by the ceremonial name 'Augustus'.

I like the idea of Obama adopting the names "Osamicus" and "Gadhaficus" in the manner of a Roman emperor who'd defeated the Parthians calling himself "Parthicus" or the Germans "Germanicus."

That being said, wouldn't that come off as unhealthily monarchical to the Founders? They might not be willing to go with that.

That being said, wouldn't that come off as unhealthily monarchical to the Founders? They might not be willing to go with that.

Probably most Founders would have been quiet suspectful but some of them were monarchists. Or leastly supported very strong president.

I take the point, but remember the title President itself was a dilution of some more grandiose suggestions.

Perhaps if the American political system were different, e.g. an elected monarchy, or a more centralised system, this might be more realistic, but I thought it might be a fun thought experiment, as well as hopefully generating some interesting discussion.

I like the idea of Obama adopting the names "Osamicus" and "Gadhaficus" in the manner of a Roman emperor who'd defeated the Parthians calling himself "Parthicus" or the Germans "Germanicus."

The Founding was part of the classicizing craze, so that's probably more possible than a reign name. Rome, good; monarchy, bad. But historically those epithets were voted by the Senate or arose from popular acclaim, not something that one picked for oneself. So maybe you could get Congress proclaiming George Washington the Augustus or the Cincinnatus or something and have it become a tradition. But its probably a tradition that ends with Andrew Jackson, who isn't having any of that high-falutin' crap.

Still, much as I am not our current President's biggest fan, President Obama Osamicus is stone-cold awesome. Still awesome even if some President down the line 'modernized' the tradition and took the Latin out of it (maybe JFK). President Obama Osama-Slayer is sweet, sweet music.

You know, its a fun exercise just to think of what epithets Presidents would get.

OTL, Washington and Lincoln basically already have epithets. Father of His Country and the Great Emancipator respectively.

Jefferson would probably go for 'of the people' or something to do with the Declaration (Independiatifer?). Or maybe something to do with the Louisiana Purchase--how do you say 'drives a hard bargain' in Latin? :)

Polk could be Mexicus. Who knows what TR would be, but Trusticus would be funny. Trustbuster is almost an OTL epithet for him. Eisenhower would either be the Roadbuilder or something to do with Korea or WWII, depending on you slice it. It would be funny to have Wilson Prussianicus and Eisenhower Nazicus Communokoreanicus. FDR could be a Nazicus too, maybe a Nipponicus, maybe a Depressionicus. Nixon would have to be Resignatus or the Resigner, no question about it. LBJ could be poverticus if you were feeling sanguine about the Great Society or Intactblackfamilicus if you were feeling bitter about it, or maybe you'd skip that and do something with civil rights (the Second Emancipator?). Reagan would be Sovieticus or the Wall-toppler, something like that. Both Bushes would have to be labeled with Iraq for good and ill, methinks. Clinton should probably be known for good times and boom times. Cornucopia, maybe? The Horn(dog) of Plenty?

Regardless of classical pretense of the Founders, I think any honorifics would be in English (plus, I don't speak Latin!). So here are some suggestions,in addition to the aforementioned Washington and Lincoln:

Thomas Jefferson, Expander of the Nation and Defender of Liberty (reference to the Louisiana Purchase and Jeffersonian support for individual and states rights against the Federalists)

James Monroe, Protector of the Americas (reference to the Monroe Doctrine)

James Polk, Vanquisher of Mexico (Annexation of Texas, Mexican War)

William McKinley, Subjugator of Spain and Creator of Empire, (the Spanish American War, Hawaii annexation, etc)

Theodore Roosevelt, Destroyer of Trusts and Great Conservator (Trust-busting and Conservation)

Woodrow Wilson, Warrior for Peace (Neutrality,WW1, the 14 Points, League of Nations advocacy

Franklin Roosevelt, Bringer of the New Deal and Destroyer of Nazism (New Deal and Victory in Europe)

Harry S Truman, Victor over Japan and and Defender of Europe(WW2 in the Pacific, nukes, and containment policies)

Dwight Eisenhower, Victor in War, Bringer of Peace and Stability (WW2 general, 1950's normalcy)

Lyndon Johnson, Bringer of Equality and a Greater Society, (Civil Rights, Great Society)

Richard Nixon, Protector of the Environment and Opener of China (yes, almost all US environmental laws and policies were Nixon's, and China policy)

Ronald Reagan, Vanquisher of Communism and Liberator of Eastern Europe(yup, that's right)

George H. W. Bush, Steward of the New World Order (oversaw the US's brief stint as the maximum top dog and interventionist policies)

William Clinton, Bringer of Peace and Prosperity (what it says)

George W Bush, Warrior against Terror (I had to think of something - he did serve two terms)

Barack Obama, Leader in Change and Punisher of Terrorists (first non-white President, killed Osama, Drones everywhere)

The Monroe Doctrine didn't matter that much during Monroe's time, if I recall. It got a new lease on life decades later. So unless these epithets are being awarded now, the Monroe doctrine is an unlikely basis for his epithet. Maybe The Last of the Founders?

Madison could be The Father of the Constitution.

The Monroe Doctrine didn't matter that much during Monroe's time, if I recall. It got a new lease on life decades later. So unless these epithets are being awarded now, the Monroe doctrine is an unlikely basis for his epithet. Maybe The Last of the Founders?

Madison could be The Father of the Constitution.

Re Monroe, you have a point. But if we assume the Presidents bestow such epithets on themselves, one could still see Monroe using his doctrine since it was a very far-reaching pronouncement that said "we americans will decide what's good in the Americas". Beside's who wants to be known just for outliving your more famous colleagues?

I like Madison's though.

These are all posthumous honorifics/titles, not reignal names.

Zoomar, to your list I'll add -
John F. Kennedy, Torch Bearer and Martyr

I can't really contribute to real reignal names, but I want to see more for sure!

Uhm, if I was to contribute one, Obama could be Iraqicus, for ending Iraq? I'm not too good at that. :eek:

What if they didn't take reignal names, but where given titles, like from the dark ages, John "The Martyr" Kennedy, or the likes. As much as I like the reignal names, the idea of them distinguishing the president from the common man is flawed, because the point of the president is thet he is a common man.

Deleted member 70671

Lyndon Johnson, Bringer of Equality and a Greater Society, (Civil Rights, Great Society)

I do not know exactly why, but... The "Greater Society" bit reminds me of China.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, First of His Name: Vanquisher of Fascism and Leader of the Free World

Harry Truman: Destroyer of Cities . Ok, maybe not that dark. But he would definitely have something that notes the nuclear destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Deleted member 70671

Judging by the general opinion of this forum, i'm pretty sure someone will come up with Woodrow Wilson, Flagellum Dei :p

GW Bush the lying idiot

Regal names and honorific titles are intended to accentuate the best qualities of a POTUS (or at least soften one's mediocrity if best qualities are few & far between - for Pierce & Buchanan for example). Otherwise, most every POTUS would be called "Lying Idiot" or "Well Intentioned Incompetent" (as Carter might be memorialized if his detractors got to choose the tile).

Yes, in fact the Dark Ages titles were the ones I was thinking of when I saw this. If you had that you could probably give a few, like Abraham "the Emancipator" Lincoln, George "the Well-beloved" Washington, and Andrew "the Fierce" Jackson. And, a few notable ones could be given the title "the Dull" (take your pick and meaning - boring or slow-witted) "the Silent" (Coolidge), etc.. After all, some monarchs have had names such as "the Bad" or one that always sticks out in my rind, "Ethelred the Unready."

That would e a little tougher, though, than it is for monarchs who can reign for decades. We'd use up dozens of adjectives or descriptive words int he time some countries use a couple.