President Quayle?

Not a chance. He's affiliated with Bush: therefore, he loses.

Unless the recession were not as bad/avoided entirely; then he might have won. But that requires a POD of sometime around the 80's where you have to stop the mortgage bubble from appearing.

BTW I had to laugh at part of Bill Clinton's presidential library in Little Rock (built in 2004): "One of Clinton's great accomplishments was making sure that people who couldn't afford a home were given a home loan anyway!"

Delay the scandals. Have more GOP heavy hitters sit out. Let Quayle win nomination.

Then have credible rape accusation against Clinton come out.

Or some other equally bad scandal.

Hell, maybe proof arises that he did bomb the Sudan to distract from Monica testimony.

Quayle in 2008? Probably not - by then he's been out of the game (politics) for two terms (and let's face it, his 2000 bid was not a really strong one - I had forgotten about it!), and has made himself comfortable in the private sector. That and Letterman's staff has too many file cabinets full of material for him to get any traction.

I agree with KyleB that you need a PoD somewhere way back which eliminates a lot of the economic problems of the years leading to the election, and that would help a number of other Republican contenders at least as much as it would Quayle.

I agree with KyleB that you need a PoD somewhere way back which eliminates a lot of the economic problems of the years leading to the election, and that would help a number of other Republican contenders at least as much as it would Quayle.

So Mitt Romney and McCain have a much better shot at winning than Quayle. I can't see an easy way to make him president. Or any way for that matter.

Agreed with Kyle. Quayle being elected POTUS is borderline ASB, and I'd prefer not having the male Palin in the Oval.

I remember being at a football game, when over the PA system came the message "It is reported that President Bush has suffered a heart attack". It turned out not to be, but my first thought on hearing this was "President Quayle! Oh God!".

Yes, the only way I could see President Quayle is if Bush Sr. died in office. Even then, I'm not sure he'd win the election. I mean, the halo effect is one thing, but if he is as gaffe prone in the aftermath of Bush's death as he was as Vice President, he probably isn't going to win.

I remember there was a joke on weekend update in either 1999 or 2000 where they mentioned it was Al Gore's birthday. Colin Quinn said something like, "It's your birthday Mr. Gore-what did ya wish for?" And that comment was followed by a fake newspaper which announced "Republicans Nominate Quayle":D

From what I've heard from people who've worked with him, Quayle isn't as stupid in person as he appeared to be while Vice President, apparently he's more gaffe prone than outright idiotic. So if Bush died and Quayle was President between say, 1992-January 20th 1993 I don't think he'd be a total disaster.

There's no way he can win 2008. With Bush's unpopularity, I'm not sure any Republican could win.

Health problems ruled out 1996. So the only chance Quayle has is 2000. But you'd need to pull some serious strings to get Quayle the nomination. You probably have to keep W. out of the race entirely. Maybe the POD is him becoming Baseball Commissioner in 1992 and just assuming the Clinton years go more or less the same? With W. out of the race, I'm not sure who the heir apparent is. Dole obviously won't run again, and it isn't McCain. If Quayle plays his cards right he could get the kind conservative support W. got, and therefore somehow get the nomination. Honestly a McCain nomination is a hell of a lot more likely but I'm trying to think of a circumstance in which Quayle wins the nomination. Then let's say Quayle's used the time out of the Vice Presidency to really prepare for the campaign. And I mean really really prepare, so it isn't an easy win for Gore. Let's say for whatever reason Quayle wins the election.

Granted the circumstances described above are almost ludicrously unlikely. IOTL Quayle polled eighth when he ran for the nomination. And much of it depends on Quayle absorbing the "next in line"/"Conservative" support that W. received in the primaries IOTL. I'm actually think both McCain and Gore are both more likely to win in a Bushless 2000, but there are upsets and unforseen circumstances. Quayle 2000 is really really really really really really really really unlikely. But Quayle 2008 is essentially impossible.