Pre-Columbian North America Bibliography

I am interested in knowing more about the Native cultures of North America (as in, everything north of urbanized Mesoamerica). I understand that that local societies lacked writing, which obviously limits severely what we know about their history, but I am also aware that modern methods of scholarship have made great strides in the understanding of those societies. I appeal to the board's collective wisdom to get pointers to good, decently detailed, recent and reasonably accessible secondary sources on this topic. Thanks.
(I could read English, French, Spanish and Italian).

1491 by Charles Mann is a great place to start (at least that's where I started), and covers different areas of North and South America pre-Columbus. He uses archaeological finds as well as European accounts to try and piece everything together.

1491 by Charles Mann is a great place to start (at least that's where I started), and covers different areas of North and South America pre-Columbus. He uses archaeological finds as well as European accounts to try and piece everything together.

Thanks. I'll start from it.

For North America specifically, Cahokia by Timothy Pauketat has some interesting descriptions of the Mississippian cultural center at its height.