Post WWI Austro-Hungarian Navy

Yeah, they might have 35,5cm. But those were designed with the intention of countering the Italian Francesco Caracciolo class which was suspended during the war
Were they? All wikipedia says on the armament is that they were inspired by the Mackensen-class. What it does say of the Italians is interesting though.
Thus when the time came for the Austro-Hungarian government to debate the funding and approval for a new class of battleships, the role Italy played in these discussions was not one of being a potential enemy, but rather it was expected that Italy would remain an ally of Austria-Hungary in any naval operations in the Mediterranean Sea against France and Russia, and that a new class of battleships was necessary to help maintain Austria-Hungary's relationship with its Italian allies.[22][23] Russia now took the place of Austria-Hungary's main naval opponent in the event of a war, and the Ersatz Monarch class were thus intended to counter any potential Russian fleets operating south of the Dardanelles.[14]
They may have been designed to compliment the Francesco Caracciolo class, or to counter the super-dreadnoughts of France and Russia. In which case the impetus is still removed.

Were they? All wikipedia says on the armament is that they were inspired by the Mackensen-class. What it does say of the Italians is interesting though.

They may have been designed to compliment the Francesco Caracciolo class, or to counter the super-dreadnoughts of France and Russia. In which case the impetus is still removed.

You are probably right for the earlier design of the Ersatz Monarch, but after ww1, the main enemy would be Italy.

Not even he had that much Dosh to toss around. But he was able to twist arms of some of the larger conglomerates like Skoda and a major Bank to sign on
That's a bit disappointing, billionaire FF would have been interesting to read about.
From the wiki:
Like the Tegetthoff class before, several major shipbuilding enterprises in Austria-Hungary such as the Witkowitz Ironworks, the Škoda Works, Stabilimento Tecnico Triestino, and the Creditanstalt Bank, all offered to begin construction on a new class dreadnoughts at their own financial risk before any budget from the Austrian and Hungarian parliaments passed the additional funds necessary to pay for the new ships. By the spring of 1913, Ferdinand and Bardolff had also obtained bank loans to fund the project on behalf of the navy until a formal budget could be passed.[8]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ersat...ship#cite_note-FOOTNOTESondhaus1994227–228-10
(emphasis mine)
If the wiki is to be believed it's less that he got non-governmental organizations to pay for it, and more that he got them to agree to put it on the government's tab.

You are probably right for the earlier design of the Ersatz Monarch, but after ww1, the main enemy would be Italy.
Another consideration is if all Tegetthoffs make it though. If say two of them are sunk (as per OTL) than it may not make sense to hold back on up-gunning simply to keep commonality with the remaining two ships.

Last edited:
As a side note to fuel whatever ATL one desires with a "Treaty." And hopefully without using too much contrivium, for an alternate Treaty post-White Peace War, I made it part of the peace treaty, likely at British insistence. Stealing from the non-technical end product of diplomats and not fully thinking it through Admirals, I used the 10,000-ton/8-inch gun cruiser paradigm to impose a 35,000-ton/16-inch gun "limitation" upon all fleets. Here the tonnage is an average per ship, limits being set at an ideal number of ships times this tonnage, setting a tonnage limit in total rather than per ship. It let me keep all the various fleets on the same page despite varied ship sizing, varied numbers and strutting for size or numbers or both. Then I imposed a sort of ratio to balance fleets. Starting with the RN versus KM 8 to 5 (i.e. 60%), I worked backwards through the likely parity or handicaps, settling for me, at the bottom is OE with 2 capital ships or 70,000-tons, A-H and Italy each 4 ships or 140,000-tons, France with 6 ships or 210,000-tons, Germany at 12 ships or 420,000-tons and the RN at 19 ships or 675,000-tons, Russia is not considered as it has no central government and the USA was not a belligerent and no one even thought Japan deserved to be discussed. So if you look carefully each Navy can build more smaller or less up to the limit of tonnage but bigger than 35,000-tons! That let me camel nose in the darlings, G3, Admiral, Mackensen, L20, etc. at the expense of lesser ships.

Handwavium applied, that got me a core of 3 to 5 Battleships for A-H, depending upon final tonnage. My guess is that Austrian ships tend smaller, more akin to the later Panzerschiff, a 25,000 to 30,000-ton design, emphasize on underwater protection and anti-air defense, some consideration for secondary, likely an early DP, and whatever main battery is left, likely the 14-inch unless we get real cooperation with Germany and then maybe a 15-inch (2 x 2 or at most 3 x2 layout). The trick will be balancing speed and protection, my guess is that speed gets emphasis but likely an earlier adoption of top deck armor to defend versus aircraft. I think they might build a few heavy cruisers, but more emphasis on larger destroyers that must include anti-air to their mix, qualitative versus quantitative being the guide. Maybe some light cruisers but maybe not. My thinking is that the heavy cruisers are both good distant raiding/flag showing vessels as well as being aimed at breaking through an Italian barrage leading the big hulls. These should be a rare case of trying to immunize a cruiser versus underwater threats. After that mine warfare, littoral and submarines get more love in the A-H navy than others and potentially A-H leads on land-based naval air (the RIKKO approach), and including fighters to cover ships in the Adriatic. I would not predict any aircraft carriers or even seaplane tenders.

A compact navy that mostly is a "fleet-in-being", leveraging air power sooner and having incentives to develop earlier many of the key areas necessary later, such as DP gunnery and AAA aboard ship.

OTL's naval treaties placed Italy and France on equal footing, any reason for changing this?

That was my first blush, I ran 60% handicaps for each navy, 75% for A-H/Italy, but in the alternative I assumed Germany quashes the French to rump state as Germany was in Versailles, but mostly to benchmark Germany off, a 2 to 1 ratio, perhaps arbitrary and RN not standing for losing an ally? If I make A-H at parity with Italy as here then something had to give. Would A-H and Germany accept 75% of Italy for A-H? But feel free to move these as you wish, I was mostly trying to find the "solution that no one likes" as I believe that may be the "real" outcome.

That was my first blush, I ran 60% handicaps for each navy, 75% for A-H/Italy, but in the alternative I assumed Germany quashes the French to rump state as Germany was in Versailles, but mostly to benchmark Germany off, a 2 to 1 ratio, perhaps arbitrary and RN not standing for losing an ally? If I make A-H at parity with Italy as here then something had to give. Would A-H and Germany accept 75% of Italy for A-H? But feel free to move these as you wish, I was mostly trying to find the "solution that no one likes" as I believe that may be the "real" outcome.
Real outcome is no Naval Limitation Treaty without the #3 and #4 Navies being included, especially when #3 appropriated money for over 600,000 tons of new Capital Ships, beyond maybe a set of ratios relative to the Royal Navy, as the Royal Navy is not going to stand for being smaller than the USN in this period and the British public will back them

For National Pride Reasons I would suspect that Italy and A-H will demand parity with each other, barring something like Italy being neutral and completing the 4 Caracciolo's or A-H being obviously in truly wretched shape. As them getting parity with France, it depends on specifics, Italy and A-H will ask for it (but not neccesarily plan on using it), but it depends on how desperate for the treaty each side relatively is and who is better at bluffing whom. If France thinks that Italy and A-H won't try very hard build up to their limits, they might be less opposed to equality

OTL's naval treaties placed Italy and France on equal footing, any reason for changing this?
It seems fair to me. You could make the arguments that: 1. France has more overseas empire to worry about. 2. France has home waters in the Mediterranean and the Atlantic while Italy only has the Mediterranean (including the Adriatic). 3. Austria and Germany demand parity in the Adriatic but they also don't want to have to spend too much money on ships there. France has had one of the top 3 navies in Europe for centuries and the gap with Germany is already kind of big. You can't cut it down too much, therefore, in order to keep a balance between Italy and Austria, you have to give Italy less than France. 4. Italy and France are not likely to go to war with one another in the foreseeable future. 5. Italy probably can't really afford to keep parity with France anyway. Not for some time at least. The Italians might eventually just decide to renegotiate later or simply forget the whole thing and build however many they want knowing that they can likely get away with it.

Last edited:
Real outcome is no Naval Limitation Treaty without the #3 and #4 Navies being included, especially when #3 appropriated money for over 600,000 tons of new Capital Ships, beyond maybe a set of ratios relative to the Royal Navy, as the Royal Navy is not going to stand for being smaller than the USN in this period and the British public will back them

For National Pride Reasons I would suspect that Italy and A-H will demand parity with each other, barring something like Italy being neutral and completing the 4 Caracciolo's or A-H being obviously in truly wretched shape. As them getting parity with France, it depends on specifics, Italy and A-H will ask for it (but not neccesarily plan on using it), but it depends on how desperate for the treaty each side relatively is and who is better at bluffing whom. If France thinks that Italy and A-H won't try very hard build up to their limits, they might be less opposed to equality

And that is more plausible but dangerously freeing too many butterflies. If you prefer, the USA can call WNC to settle Asia issues, that likely draws in Germany and A-H and maybe Russia too as China powers. But I assume a neutral USA, likely without Wilson (I give him a stroke after swearing in 1916), or his vision of Second to None gets muted by ongoing neutrality and Congressional intransigence, so realistically the USA should not even be factored in and mostly doing its own thing off in some corner. But you are correct, the most plausible scenario is another "agreement" where German accepts some lower ratio to the RN, likely the RN setting itself far above what it can afford and leaving Germany with far more ships than it needs, once the UK economy collapses and the "peace dividend" voters elect Labour, the RN is left out of money. And the slippery slope is a slippery ride. My best guess is a 45 ship main fleet versus a 33 ship HSF, RN keeps everything above 12-inch gunned, built the Admirals, builds the G3s and lays down N3s before the bankruptcy. Circle back to WNT. In fact that might get everyone warmed up to swallow the reality that was WNT.

Thus I went to parity, the treacherous Italians get no quarter from Germany/A-H, but the UK should back them to spend their money to offset Austria in the Med, and I use that to spin Italy to a treacherous ally of Britain about 1935. Yet A-H is realistically not in shape to fund any major naval building until the 1930s in any event. But it might mess Italy up, ruining the economy, opening other doors to Fascist takeover, etc., but butterfly net with a Treaty, you get a sort of good lesser Power Navy to complicate things for the Entente powers moving towards the inevitable Round Two other threads feed upon. But this is just narrative frame for getting a reasonable post-war A-H navy after all.

And that is more plausible but dangerously freeing too many butterflies. If you prefer, the USA can call WNC to settle Asia issues, that likely draws in Germany and A-H and maybe Russia too as China powers. But I assume a neutral USA, likely without Wilson (I give him a stroke after swearing in 1916), or his vision of Second to None gets muted by ongoing neutrality and Congressional intransigence, so realistically the USA should not even be factored in and mostly doing its own thing off in some corner. But you are correct, the most plausible scenario is another "agreement" where German accepts some lower ratio to the RN, likely the RN setting itself far above what it can afford and leaving Germany with far more ships than it needs, once the UK economy collapses and the "peace dividend" voters elect Labour, the RN is left out of money. And the slippery slope is a slippery ride. My best guess is a 45 ship main fleet versus a 33 ship HSF, RN keeps everything above 12-inch gunned, built the Admirals, builds the G3s and lays down N3s before the bankruptcy. Circle back to WNT. In fact that might get everyone warmed up to swallow the reality that was WNT.

Thus I went to parity, the treacherous Italians get no quarter from Germany/A-H, but the UK should back them to spend their money to offset Austria in the Med, and I use that to spin Italy to a treacherous ally of Britain about 1935. Yet A-H is realistically not in shape to fund any major naval building until the 1930s in any event. But it might mess Italy up, ruining the economy, opening other doors to Fascist takeover, etc., but butterfly net with a Treaty, you get a sort of good lesser Power Navy to complicate things for the Entente powers moving towards the inevitable Round Two other threads feed upon. But this is just narrative frame for getting a reasonable post-war A-H navy after all.
The US is the Third Biggest Navy, it has to be factored in even without the 1916 program (which passed Congress 363-4 and 71-8, so need more than just Wilson out given that level of support for a huge Navy), in fact a neutral USA is more likely to build the 1916 program as it will not get interrupted by immediate wartime priorities. It has to be factored in, the same with Japan who is #4 in 1918 and by mid 1923 will have more Capital Ship tonnage than you allotted to Germany. These have to be taken into account by a Treaty in 1918, because nobody in 1918 knows how the economy is going to be in 4 years, or that Japan will be hit by an earthquake in 5

Functionally I likely see any sort of Naval Treaty in a USA neutral scenario as #1) No guns bigger than 16,5"/42cm, #2) No ships bigger than 45,000 tons and #3) Either a building holiday or a limit on new tonnage laid down, or a combination thereof. I don't see limits on total fleet tonnage/numbers working without OTL circumstances. Those were a US idea at the WNT, without them involved the RN just wants limits on gun caliber and ship size

Reasonably I expect A-H to be like OTL Italy and France and not build the maximum possible and let her fleet wear down until Italy starts building/major rebuilds, and Italy's trigger will be someone else deciding to to something, or just sheer age in the late 30's

Just what does the post war situation in Eastern Europe look like? Have the Soviets conquered Ukraine? Is it independent? Is a German or Austrian noble king there? Have they reached an understanding with Poland regarding Krakow and Lesser Poland/Lviv? All that determines what kind of army A-H will plan for itself, the more allied and family related the new nations are the less there is a need for a million man army, which means more funds could be made available for the navy. Or more likely A-H returns to its habit of underspending on military matters. Reducing the army might make sense if they worry about soldiers from potentially rebellious ethnic groups carrying their rifles home - you can't do the same with a cruisers guns.

During the late 00s and early 20s everyone is broke, until 25 though everyone can be expected to have recovered to 1914 levels and grows from there. Is there a Great Depression? Or just a market scare or recession, those happened all the time before WW1, which one it is has too great effect on the nations ability to spend on floating steel castles.

The primary enemy of A-H would be Italy as said, but how do they compare? Afaik A-H had already (or nearly) overtaken Italy in naval spending, even with its heavier focus on the army.
Encyclopedia of the First World War
Country Dreadnought Battleships and Battle Cruisers (Completed in Bold, Laid Down or Budgeted in Parentheses) Shipbuilding Expenditures in 1913 (Millions of Pounds Sterling, Current Prices) Percentage Increase in Shipbuilding Expenditures (1902–1904 to 1911–1913)
Germany 22 (4) 11,4 131%
Austria-Hungary 3 (5) 4,4 270%
Italy 4 (6) 4,3 (1912) 246%
Britain 34 (3) 17,1 38%
France 4 (12) 7,0 41%
Russia 0 (4) 11,1 105%
Turkey 2 5,5 1100%

Due to OP stating "white peace" we're not assuming Italy and France are broken by a harsh victory, everything returns to what it was before the war, more or less. How could there be a naval limitations treaty with A-H still intact? The Italians will never agree to parity with A-H, Italy has colonies and the French to watch over while A-Hs fleet is concentrated in the Adriatic. Parity would simply mean that half of the Boot is at the mercy of A-Hs fleet at all times, the Italians are not going to accept this, at least 50 % superiority over A-H would be asked for! Wheather or not they can afford this is another question.

Due to OP stating "white peace" we're not assuming Italy and France are broken by a harsh victory, everything returns to what it was before the war, more or less. How could there be a naval limitations treaty with A-H still intact? The Italians will never agree to parity with A-H, Italy has colonies and the French to watch over while A-Hs fleet is concentrated in the Adriatic. Parity would simply mean that half of the Boot is at the mercy of A-Hs fleet at all times, the Italians are not going to accept this, at least 50 % superiority over A-H would be asked for! Wheather or not they can afford this is another question.
Maybe some sort of compromise? Equality in battleships, but Italy gets a much larger allotment of cruisers?

The US is the Third Biggest Navy, it has to be factored in even without the 1916 program (which passed Congress 363-4 and 71-8, so need more than just Wilson out given that level of support for a huge Navy), in fact a neutral USA is more likely to build the 1916 program as it will not get interrupted by immediate wartime priorities. It has to be factored in, the same with Japan who is #4 in 1918 and by mid 1923 will have more Capital Ship tonnage than you allotted to Germany. These have to be taken into account by a Treaty in 1918, because nobody in 1918 knows how the economy is going to be in 4 years, or that Japan will be hit by an earthquake in 5

Functionally I likely see any sort of Naval Treaty in a USA neutral scenario as #1) No guns bigger than 16,5"/42cm, #2) No ships bigger than 45,000 tons and #3) Either a building holiday or a limit on new tonnage laid down, or a combination thereof. I don't see limits on total fleet tonnage/numbers working without OTL circumstances. Those were a US idea at the WNT, without them involved the RN just wants limits on gun caliber and ship size

Reasonably I expect A-H to be like OTL Italy and France and not build the maximum possible and let her fleet wear down until Italy starts building/major rebuilds, and Italy's trigger will be someone else deciding to to something, or just sheer age in the late 30's

Perhaps the suggestion has opened up a derailing of the OP. You are correct, the USN is the number two or three navy but in many ways irrelevant to European infighting unless it can be an ally or will be a foe. And in most scenarios should be mostly the stalking horse fear driver of the RN despite an endless diplomatic jockeying to appease/woo the Americans and virtually presume that no war can happen between the RN and USN. I doubt any other President puts forth the 1916 Program, it reads as a Wilsonian ambition to become the Number One Navy and bootstrap the USA to its destiny of Great Power First Among Not Equals. But I will certainly entertain that Wilson gets his fleet then has a stroke and the USA spins off stage to let Europe bludgeon itself to a disappointing White peace No Victors backdrop to getting us a surviving KuK Navy. If anything Germany must insist on leveling Japan, the erstwhile sidekick of the RN and treacherous Tsingtao stealer. That argues for all UK allies being treated as extensions of the RN and thus arguing for the German mega-fleet being in fact not a threat to RN preeminence or actually being a parity naval power. Here it is KM/Kuk/(OE?) versus RN/MN/RM. That equals no Treaty and an expensive arms race akin to the Cold War without Atom bombs to backstop the inevitable shoot first logic of win before we lose (go broke).

But I do agree, minus the USA, a Treaty should from the British perspective limit ship tonnage and gunnery, but HM Treasury should seek reductions in future construction, so (a) fleet tonnage limit or (b) building holiday or (c) both. So I end up with some wonky Diplomat solution that is HM Treasury friendly. Pre-war the British and German tacit blink was to tolerate a 8:5 ratio. The caveat is that with the RN setting 16-inch main guns and 40,000-ton plus size limits these are barely limits at all, invoking Dreadnought, the global fleets are worthless, build all new to the new benchmark. That brings us back to the artificial 14-inch guns / 35,000-ton hobble and savior of the fleet we have just bought.

Reasonably I expect the Austrians to stalk the Italians to parity, emphasize sea-denial, pursue air power and economize so that the Army may face whatever we have left in the shadows to the East. Submarines will unnerve the French and mutual distrust means Italy actually builds against the French in reality. All sides waste money on the naval build back up to invoke the financial crisis we cannot predict but have self fulfilled prophetically. Bonus points its an Austrian bankruptcy that implodes global finance.

The KuK Navy will build to relative parity with Italy minus a Treaty, its burdened by debt and landward threats sufficient to motivate a tuned back ambition. With a Treaty one can manage butterflies on the wider "what are the other Navies doing" and guide us through the messy 1920s into the messier 1930s.

Maybe some sort of compromise? Equality in battleships, but Italy gets a much larger allotment of cruisers?

And they should take that deal. Unfortunately in 1919 aircraft are not mature enough to assure a way to leverage a small BB force or give real ship killing strike to a cruiser force versus opposing BB force. I think we must saddle the Italians with ambitions for the big guns from 1919 through the later 1930s, its the only sure way to secure the decisive sea battle. As others point out, Italy really has France as its naval enemy and the RN is the rival in our ambition triangle to rule the Middle Sea. Italy actually cares how many BBs France has. And hopes to out big hat the RN. Now we cut down the dreams of all with the cold cutting razor of finances. My sober opinion would be that like OTL any attempt at stability will be undone by Franco-Italian rivalry and ambition run around as Germany and the UK try hard to restore status quo. Thus the RN and HSF can settle on a ratio, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, but what happens in the Med boils down to spending fatigue. Austria becomes a German pilot fish, dangerously complicating Franco-Italian math and prompting each to overbuild. But by accident not design as the Germans simply are not that subtle, clever or strategic.

Perhaps the suggestion has opened up a derailing of the OP. You are correct, the USN is the number two or three navy but in many ways irrelevant to European infighting unless it can be an ally or will be a foe. And in most scenarios should be mostly the stalking horse fear driver of the RN despite an endless diplomatic jockeying to appease/woo the Americans and virtually presume that no war can happen between the RN and USN. I doubt any other President puts forth the 1916 Program, it reads as a Wilsonian ambition to become the Number One Navy and bootstrap the USA to its destiny of Great Power First Among Not Equals. But I will certainly entertain that Wilson gets his fleet then has a stroke and the USA spins off stage to let Europe bludgeon itself to a disappointing White peace No Victors backdrop to getting us a surviving KuK Navy. If anything Germany must insist on leveling Japan, the erstwhile sidekick of the RN and treacherous Tsingtao stealer. That argues for all UK allies being treated as extensions of the RN and thus arguing for the German mega-fleet being in fact not a threat to RN preeminence or actually being a parity naval power. Here it is KM/Kuk/(OE?) versus RN/MN/RM. That equals no Treaty and an expensive arms race akin to the Cold War without Atom bombs to backstop the inevitable shoot first logic of win before we lose (go broke).

But I do agree, minus the USA, a Treaty should from the British perspective limit ship tonnage and gunnery, but HM Treasury should seek reductions in future construction, so (a) fleet tonnage limit or (b) building holiday or (c) both. So I end up with some wonky Diplomat solution that is HM Treasury friendly. Pre-war the British and German tacit blink was to tolerate a 8:5 ratio. The caveat is that with the RN setting 16-inch main guns and 40,000-ton plus size limits these are barely limits at all, invoking Dreadnought, the global fleets are worthless, build all new to the new benchmark. That brings us back to the artificial 14-inch guns / 35,000-ton hobble and savior of the fleet we have just bought.

Reasonably I expect the Austrians to stalk the Italians to parity, emphasize sea-denial, pursue air power and economize so that the Army may face whatever we have left in the shadows to the East. Submarines will unnerve the French and mutual distrust means Italy actually builds against the French in reality. All sides waste money on the naval build back up to invoke the financial crisis we cannot predict but have self fulfilled prophetically. Bonus points its an Austrian bankruptcy that implodes global finance.

The KuK Navy will build to relative parity with Italy minus a Treaty, its burdened by debt and landward threats sufficient to motivate a tuned back ambition. With a Treaty one can manage butterflies on the wider "what are the other Navies doing" and guide us through the messy 1920s into the messier 1930s.
The 1916 program was essentially just Congress finally giving the USN what it had been asking for for years, a 16 ship program spread over 5 years, averaging 3.2 ships a year, plus some of the cruisers they had been asking for, the increase in constructino they had been asking for and the multi year planning they had wanted. Given the situation in Congress (90 to 1 in favor in the House, 8 to 1 in favor in the Senate) it wasn't just Wilson. It matters because as long as the AJA exists the RN has to worry about Japan doing something stupid and dragging them into a mess with the US. And if the AJA does not, well then the RN has to worry about Japan deciding their colonies look good. Ergo it is a matter of concern. Japan actually has the bargaining power to say no to any deal they don't like and just walk away so they can't be treated bad

I'd say a construction limit rather than a fleet tonnage limit, ie over a given 5 year period the RN can lay down 8 ships, Germany 5, France 3, Italy/A-H 2. I think 45,000 tons is necessary, because the 41,000 ton Admirals are building in 1918 and the US and Japan both have 40,000 ton plus ships authorized already to start building soon. Without the specific circumstances of OTL (those ships being delayed by US entry into WWI, Admirals capped at Hood), forcing that horse back into the barn is impossible. Ergo one must have to deal with the hand that has been dealt, and that is 45,000 tons so that none of the parties involved lose anything. If you can bring the US into a Treaty in 1918, then you have a chance at the 35,000 ton limit working (not the 14" limit, with 15" guns loose and 16" ships building), but bundling as part of a peace deal won't get the US in

I actually think that a naval arms race in the Med up may be avoided without a treaty. Even the Fascists did not build as many ships as they were allowed by Treaty in OTL, the Moose was allowed to build ships in 1927 and didn't. I think more likely the three powers just stop building major units after WWI due to poor finances and work on light units until somebody outside disturbs the equilibrium. Everybody is bone exhausted financially.

Certainly the Austrians will emphasize air power and sea denial against the Italians, unless inter service political shenanigans prevent the air power part

I actually think that a naval arms race in the Med up may be avoided without a treaty. Even the Fascists did not build as many ships as they were allowed by Treaty in OTL, the Moose was allowed to build ships in 1927 and didn't. I think more likely the three powers just stop building major units after WWI due to poor finances and work on light units until somebody outside disturbs the equilibrium. Everybody is bone exhausted financially.

Certainly the Austrians will emphasize air power and sea denial against the Italians, unless inter service political shenanigans prevent the air power part

I'm not sure one would be avoided entirely, but it might still be a rather abbreviated one, if there's still war exhaustion going on. Perhaps only replacement-level development, with a couple of rebuilds along the way.

Driftless

Donor
Does the way the Austro-Hungarian Battleships were sunk play a role in the post-war navy?
  • Wien - torpedos from Italian torpedo boats
  • Szent Istvan - torpedos from Italian torpedo boats
  • Viribus Unitis - Limpet mine attached by Italian mini-sub
Could that impact the type of warships built, or the nature of construction?

The Austrian-Hungarian economy will be quite likely to outgrow both the French and Italian ones, if for no other reason through pure population growth. Honestly I think there’s little benefit for AH to make a deal with Italy about naval parity, as the Austrians would be able to outspend the Italians, which would force the Italians to invest a much higher percent of their military budget into the navy, a navy which aren’t really a problem for the Austrians.

Does the way the Austro-Hungarian Battleships were sunk play a role in the post-war navy?
  • Wien - torpedos from Italian torpedo boats
  • Szent Istvan - torpedos from Italian torpedo boats
  • Viribus Unitis - Limpet mine attached by Italian mini-sub
Could that impact the type of warships built, or the nature of construction?
Even with the pre-war Ersatz Monarch class Austria-Hungary was looking at improving their bellow waterline defences with torpedo bulkheads and armour that extends bellow the waterline (the Tegetthoffs were essentially naked bellow the waterline).

Given what happened during the war they'd probably triple down on bellow waterline protections. They probably come up with something better than the Pugliese system, if only on account of it being impossible to do worse.