Post-Doomsday pop culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pop culture will depend on the survival of state like entities. If people are reduced to village communities without any states, we will pretty much fall back to horse power, so no radios or tv. But if state like entities survives, we will see surviving trade and that mean the coal and oil which is the lifeblood of society continue flowing.

I suspect that even if state like entities survives, we will see a technological fallback, just not as badly as if they don’t survives. Mass media as we know it will likely be dead for several decades, but books and music will still be made, but especially music will likely mostly be a local thing. Radio will still exist, but it’s unlikely to get new global music.

What bugs me about "would X Celebrity survives Doomsday" is that even if they don't perish in the nuclear attacks, there's no guarantee that they'll survive the aftermath.
Or even if they did survive all the way to ATL 2019, they won't rise to prominence the same way as OTL. For all we know, The Rock won't be a wrestler due to obvious circumstances such as changed priorities or lack of resources. Same for those actors born in 1970s-1983 that survived Doomsday but won't become one.

The pop culture will depend on the survival of state like entities. If people are reduced to village communities without any states, we will pretty much fall back to horse power, so no radios or tv. But if state like entities survives, we will see surviving trade and that mean the coal and oil which is the lifeblood of society continue flowing.

I suspect that even if state like entities survives, we will see a technological fallback, just not as badly as if they don’t survives. Mass media as we know it will likely be dead for several decades, but books and music will still be made, but especially music will likely mostly be a local thing. Radio will still exist, but it’s unlikely to get new global music.

Well, the TL this thread is based on had survivor nations appearing fairly quickly, and IIRC it’s canon that their world gets Internet by the early 2000s. So it’s clear that there was a technological fallback, but in many places state-like entities and states survived, and also it seems that tech-wise it was more of a setback than collapse.

s-l400.jpg

Here is some Star Wars action figures from 1977-1983 sold on EBay UK for exactly $119.19 (92.70 GBP). In the Doomsday TL, these will be worth a fortune.

Consider that depending on the extent of biological and societal damage, society might become as dystopian as Harlan Ellison's A Boy & His Dog with an overt calling to the mythical "Golden Age of the Fifties"

See:

I wrote an article on tourism on the wiki before: https://althistory.fandom.com/wiki/Tourism_(1983:_Doomsday)

Some of my friends from other places contributed to it. I am surprised to find out the Leaning Tower of Pisa survived Doomsday.

Some notable landmarks that survived Doomsday include:
  • Venice Canals (Venice)
  • Pyramids of Giza (Egypt - but may have been destroyed in the 1987 Israeli nuclear strike on Muslim Brotherhood-controlled Cairo)
  • Parts of the Great Wall of China
  • Dome of the Rock (Jerusalem, Israel)
  • Mount Rushmore (near Keystone, South Dakota)
  • Himeji Castle (Himeji, Japan)
  • Nijō Castle (Kyoto, Japan)
  • Rizal Monument, Walled City of Intramuros, and Fort Santiago (Manila, Philippines)
  • Lapu-Lapu Shrine (Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines)
  • Fort San Pedro (Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines)
  • Murabba Palace (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia)
  • Ruins of Petra (Ma'an Governate, Jordan)
  • Chichen Itza (Yucatán, Mexico)
  • Machu Picchu (Cosco, Peru)
  • Angkor Wat (Cambodia)
  • Ancient City of Ayutthaya (Ayutthaya, Thailand)
  • Grand Palace, Wat Arun, Wat Suthat, Marble Temple (Bangkok, Thailand)
  • Borobudur Temple (Central Java, Indonesia)
  • Buddhas of Bamiyan (Afghanistan; in OTL March 2001 the Taliban deliberately destroyed the Buddhas. Doomsday may have prevented its destruction but with Afghanistan being a lawless zone, it could be destroyed as a collateral damage by the infighting among warlords, mujahideen, and Soviet stragglers).
On the other hand, buildings like the Petronas Tower may or may not be built since it was only groundbroken in OTL 1992 and opened in 1998. Others such as the Burj Al-Arab, Burj Khalifa, and the Marina Bay Sands may be completely butterflied away as their planners or architects were most likely killed during Doomsday.

I forgot to add Berlin landmarks that survived Doomsday:
- The Reichstag
- Brandenburg Gate
- Berlin Wall
- Checkpoint Charlie

I also forgot to add that Hadrian's Wall, The Stonehenge, and Loch Ness Castle survived and is probably one of the recognizable landmarks in the Celtic Alliance.

Last edited:

Deleted member 82792

Do you think Dungeons & Dragons would be around after DD?

This thread has had some interesting responses. What I mainly posted it for was to see what a world with static popular culture would feel like, and something hit me today...if the current shutdown of Hollywood and other entertainment production due to COVID-19 continues long enough, we'll enter a period in which there are no new releases of media besides maybe video games (programmers and other staff can work from home).

In essence, I/we may get a small taste of what's being talked about ITTL...

This thread has had some interesting responses. What I mainly posted it for was to see what a world with static popular culture would feel like, and something hit me today...if the current shutdown of Hollywood and other entertainment production due to COVID-19 continues long enough, we'll enter a period in which there are no new releases of media besides maybe video games (programmers and other staff can work from home).

In essence, I/we may get a small taste of what's being talked about ITTL...
Truth be told, a major catastrophe like Doomsday or the current OTL COVID-19 Pandemic would definitely butterfly many events, concerts, and upcoming releases. For example, the release for the live action Mulan has been delayed while Jurassic World: Dominion will also see a delay in production. In Manila, the annual Wanderland music festival was cancelled (or postponed as they say) for this year. Same way for E3 2020 and Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics.

Who knows what might be the long-term of impact of this. Maybe someone bound to exist as political figure in the future is butterflied away because of COVID-19.

In a way it would be the same for the 1983: Doomsday universe. The Los Angeles 1984 Summer Olympics is butterflied away and many films releasted after September 25-26, 1983 OTL or those that were currently in production stages would be lost media.

Surprised 1983: Doomsday is still active. It seems static every time I visit the Wiki.

How is the evolution of pop culture handled in the Wiki? Is it consensus-driven or with one leading the way? (similar to Wikipedia: Be Bold)

A 13 year gap from the POD would butterfly lots of things. Pre-Doomsday bands that survived would produce songs unrecognizable from our TL.

Steinfeld's existence comes into question since she was born in 1996. Her info in wiki says her maternal grandfather is from Panglao, Bohol, Philippines (frankly I was surprised) but we have no data to confirm where her parents were. Even if they survived and married as OTL (again very highly unlikely), the billion sperm theory would come to play. Ditto for Selena Gomez and Ariana Grande.

Even celebrities mentioned in @LouisTheGreyFox's born in after the POD in OTL would come into question but for the sake of his TL, I respect it.

Answering a six-month (!) post, but oh well: "Hailee fondly calls her maternal grandpa, Ricardo Domasin, “Papa.” Her great grandfather, Peter Domasin, was the one originally from Bohol." (From Ruben V. Nepales, "Hailee Steinfeld hopes to visit Bohol", Inquirer.net, https://entertainment.inquirer.net/114457/hailee-steinfeld-hopes-to-visit-bohol)

I assume that it was Peter who was from Bohol, and the rest of the kin were born in the United States. Surprised to know that Ricardo had died. I still remember this picture of him and Hailee shared by the Barrio Fiesta Glendale Facebook page from long ago.

download.jpg

Would Glendale though have been nuked as well? I can't verify based on a cursory search of the Wiki.

Deleted member 82792

Surprised 1983: Doomsday is still active. It seems static every time I visit the Wiki.

How is the evolution of pop culture handled in the Wiki? Is it consensus-driven or with one leading the way? (similar to Wikipedia: Be Bold)

Answering a six-month (!) post, but oh well: "Hailee fondly calls her maternal grandpa, Ricardo Domasin, “Papa.” Her great grandfather, Peter Domasin, was the one originally from Bohol." (From Ruben V. Nepales, "Hailee Steinfeld hopes to visit Bohol", Inquirer.net, https://entertainment.inquirer.net/114457/hailee-steinfeld-hopes-to-visit-bohol)

I assume that it was Peter who was from Bohol, and the rest of the kin were born in the United States. Surprised to know that Ricardo had died. I still remember this picture of him and Hailee shared by the Barrio Fiesta Glendale Facebook page from long ago.

View attachment 536779

Would Glendale though have been nuked as well? I can't verify based on a cursory search of the Wiki.
Maybe the wiki should have a list of celebrities who are living in the post-DD world.

Status
Not open for further replies.