Post Apocalyptic Neo Medieval British Isles

On the 11 November 2018, the 100th anniversary of the end of the Great War was celebrated by the global detonation of several EMPs causing the global collapse of the modern world. By 2020, over 90% of the British population has died out and the survivors would birth those who will inherit this new world. Now it is 3000 AD, what is the state of the British Isles?

(Note that the world has now descended into a neo-medieval world with gunpowder weaponry almost non existant)

Last edited:
By 3000AD it wouldn't be very post apocalyptic any more, I would recommend at least 90 years as it allows societies to be set up and be working successfully but there still numerous nomads and wanderers.

Anyway a few ideas:
  • A Scottish state of sorts based out of Glasgow which controls most of the lowlands and is starting a campaign to reclaim the Highlands but is experiencing resistance from the independent communities there.
  • Republic of Yorkshire, a left leaning Republic that claims to be the true Government of Britain.
  • The Nottingham League, comprised of Nottingham, Lincoln and Derby. The cities use the remaining train lines to stay connected and rely on trading, banking and gambling as major sources of money.

I've reworded the original message so that it makes sense for 3000 to not be back to normal.
I mean, it still doesn't make sense is the thing. Why would gunpowder weapons still not have come back into use, especially after 1000 years? Why would they have gone out of use in the first place? Especially given that your apocalyptic event of choice is EMPs, instead of say, a massive nuclear exchange, and so libraries, and the knowledge they contain, would almost certainly remain intact.

I mean, it still doesn't make sense is the thing. Why would gunpowder weapons still not have come back into use, especially after 1000 years? Why would they have gone out of use in the first place? Especially given that your apocalyptic event of choice is EMPs, instead of say, a massive nuclear exchange, and so libraries, and the knowledge they contain, would almost certainly remain intact.
The break down of civilization due to the EMP (which would kill 90% minimum by the end of a year or two) causes libraries and books (most at least) to decay with nobody reading them. During the first years, bullets eventually run out with nobody producing more and guns are abandoned for weapons easier to produce.

Plus, its a bit of a neo-medieval project. So that's why it's at medieval era levels of tech.

Right, but it doesn't make any sense for it to be medieval. Let alone the facts that even if 90% of the world dies (very doubtful) that's still a full 750 million people with expertise and that books don't decay to complete nothingness in a hundred years....

Right, but it doesn't make any sense for it to be medieval. Let alone the facts that even if 90% of the world dies (very doubtful) that's still a full 750 million people with expertise and that books don't decay to complete nothingness in a hundred years....

I know, I'm pulling a large ASB here. However, it would be interesting to see how a medieval world would develop with modern demographics. E.g, Scotland speaks English, maybe we won't have a Scottish identity south of the mountains for example.

What would these people think of their history? In a world where no one country was able to rule the British Isles, they might not believe that once the British were able to rule lands across the world. Maybe figures from pre-fall Britain would be seen as mythological characters based on real people.

What would these people think of their history? In a world where no one country was able to rule the British Isles, they might not believe that once the British were able to rule lands across the world. Maybe figures from pre-fall Britain would be seen as mythological characters based on real people.
That is an interesting bit to start off from.
All information on the internet is gone so we only have books to go off. Now let's assume that at least 50% of books have been lost (probably somewhere about 80% imo). We also have oral history. Who would be remembered? My bet is that Henry VIII, 'Bloody' Mary, Elizabeth I, Henry V, Winston Churchill, Nelson, Victoria and William Shakespeare would be remembered. Maybe Henry VIII and Henry V would become one figure in the histories.

I just thought of this now. There are statues all over the UK and we even now have 5 pound notes that could possibly survive a long while. Figures on these statues might be remembered. Hence, a statue of Stalin (somewhere probably) might end up with Stalin being seen as a major English figure. We could also have figures of the early post apocalyptic period mixed together so that we end up with an Arthur 2.0 who might himself be merged with Arthur into a single figure.

Would the story of World Emperor Victorious-Rock and him building the great Mountain Temple to defend against the evil Lightning God's terrible Thunderbirds be forever remembered?

Would the story of World Emperor Victorious-Rock and him building the great Mountain Temple to defend against the evil Lightning God's terrible Thunderbirds be forever remembered?
Okay, I have got, Mountian temple (Churchill?), and the lightnings god's thunderbirds(Germany bombers?), but who is victorious-rock?