Possible impact of ATL surviving American-german on german culture and politics in the early 20th century?

What is now the US has seen large german waves of immigration since at least the 17th century, today "german Americans" are estimated at over 40 million people.

However, only about 5% of those people today speak german at all:
WWI saw massive pressure to anglicise and assimilate, leading to a much stronger assimilation of the german demographic than for most other immigrant groups. German America all but disappeared as a cultural and linguistic expression, at least in proportion to its sheer size.

From what I gather WWI was really the turning point, though I suppose for a true change the POD might have to be placed earlier, in the 19th century... and, geographically, in germany, rather than the US, ironically enough.

So what I propose is, WWI never happens, whatever changes in the lead up this requires (especially in imperial german politics).

German-Americans remain an integrated, but very distinctive group, and an American-german dialect is widely spoken.
So much so that books and movies, radio shows and later movies are produced in American-german and exported to germany and Austria, where in turn they have almost as large a cultural impact as US culture had on British culture. Perhaps stronger, even, because it would lack the antipathy you get between former colony vs old imperial center.

So my question is

a) would that ATL culture I describe "flow back" into Europe, the way I described
and
b) could this even include political influence?
Say even without WWI the situation in Europe is tense and fascist-, nationalist- and authoritarian political ideas still develop. Would the "positive example" of democratic American germans inspire democratic reforms/revolutions in german-speaking Europe, or would it more realistically be the other way round - german Americans would import and absorb whatever ideology crystallizes in the old country?
Or would they simply evolve into very distinct cultures altogether?

Last edited:
One ironic butterfly could be that without WWI, communism becomes dominant in early 20th century germany rather than fascism (fairly likely, especially paired with a revolutionary anti-imperial push), and german americans get forcefully assimilated as part of anti-communist purges, leading to pretty much the same end result as OTL...

... and yet another possible outcome, if we take the communist route, could be a rivalry between a strong german American community supporting democracy and capitalism (an expat West germany if you will) VS a European german communist regime (like a pan-eurogerman DDR).
Sortof like expat Cubans VS Cuba, except much more intense?

If there’s no World War One and German culture survives, one big impact is that the German language press stays around a bit longer. Also, one thing you might see is Lutherans remain separate from other Protestants, or at least more German dominated groups. They might not even join other Lutherans.

Based on my own family history, my great-grandfather spoke German, my grandfather understood it, and I think my father knew more than he cared to admit. He told me that German speakers in Louisiana (more than you'd think) were forced to quit speaking German in 1917. I think I would have grown up at a minimum with a small vocabulary and some understanding of the language.

ISTM that there would be more interest in the US than OTL in ethno-German folk/pop stuff. "Oompah music", Oktoberfest, etc. Oktoberfest could be bigger than St. Patrick's Day.

Actually, Germanophone stuff has had something of a comeback in the last generation. Many cities have "Christkindl" markets at Christmas, for instance.

Last edited:

Riain

Banned
I wonder about the German drinking culture impact on prohibition. From my Irish Australian perspective the Germans tend to drink differently, they don't get maggoted and upset the 'less easily charmed' people in the community. Maybe this takes some of the sting out of the temperance movement, maybe delaying it a bit or weakening its severity.

I wonder about the German drinking culture impact on prohibition. From my Irish Australian perspective the Germans tend to drink differently, they don't get maggoted and upset the 'less easily charmed' people in the community. Maybe this takes some of the sting out of the temperance movement, maybe delaying it a bit or weakening its severity.
Again, every town needs a biergarten or two :)