Popular misconceptions about 19th century History

Wait does anyone really think America was a Superpower in the 19th Century? It wasn't until the Spanish-American War that I'd even call America a Great Power.

If you look at most of the threads here, even the CSA could conquer Mexico, Cuba and beyond.

If you look at most of the threads here, even the CSA could conquer Mexico, Cuba and beyond.

Actually a bit curious how the mechanics of a 'Golden Circle' are actually presented now that you mention it. I highly doubt it could be done by the CSA alone, they'd have to enlist some European support in the project, though how that would manifest seems... suspect.

Would you say Spain or Germany are multi-ethnic? Just curious.

Well, what are the ethnic groups in Germany?

OTOH, Spain has 2M+ of Basques who live in clearly defined Autonomous Basque Communities and have their own language. The same goes for Russia: there are numerous ethnic groups (Tatars are the biggest) who are speaking language which is distinctively different from Russian (some of them even belong to a different race) and have their own administrative entities.

Well, what are the ethnic groups in Germany?

OTOH, Spain has 2M+ of Basques who live in clearly defined Autonomous Basque Communities and have their own language. The same goes for Russia: there are numerous ethnic groups (Tatars are the biggest) who are speaking language which is distinctively different from Russian (some of them even belong to a different race) and have their own administrative entities.
Well you have Sorbs, Frisians, Danes, but I added this country just to compare with Spain which has bigger distinct groups.

Well in Spain everything is an autonomous community apparently, its minorities are bigger surely but I wonder if you do count Galicians, Catalans(and related) etc. in or only Basques? Because if you don't then Spain has only just one small minority which is in not even strictly speaking living in a more autonomous territory, in which case Spain becomes pretty similar to Germany. I agree that Russia is different from those 2 administratively, although I'm not so sure about dividing between ethnic groups which speak relatively related languages and those that don't.

Well, as of right now they have not just the Turks (and so do French, Brits, Swedes, Danes, Dutch, etc.) so perhaps it is safe to stick to the administrative side of an issue. :winkytongue:
Well in that case it seems to me that both Spain and Germany don't have specific administrative regions for minority groups, especially in light of the fact that Spain has given practical autonomy to Andalusians(which are not really distinct from Castillians AFAIK) as early as they did give to Catalans, Basques and Galician and nowadays everything is formally autonomous.

That said, Colonial bureaucracy is, by definition, displaced from its place of origin, obviously British world view would never reflect India's reality. Consequences are inevitable.
As has already been pointed out, the British 18th century penal code* did not
exactly reflect the British world view or reality either.

*which may be a too strong term as, if memory serves, the first time British criminal law
was properly recorded/written down/codified were... when someone thought it should be introduced
to India. Common law, everybody!

For some reason, I get the feeling that this is some sort of racist colonial fantasy. You never see threads pondering if Europe can get a majority population of brown immigrants (perhaps because it's too contemporary/controversial/topical).

Or more probably because it's not alternate history.

You clearly haven't been paying attention to Far-Right political parties and conspiracy nutters on YouTube.
Sorry, I must have been mind controlled by the Rothschild. Due to the Islam-gauchiste conspiracy, I haven't received my tinfoil hat and haven't been able to catch up on Great Replacement theory.
Guess I'll just [REDACTED BY GEORGE SOROS]

Last edited:
A few misconceptions about Brazil:

- Brazil was a British puppet and Brazilian diplomacy was submissive to British interests.
- The Paraguayan War was the result of British interference in South America aiming at the destruction of an autonomous industrial powerhouse that could serve as a role model for other South American countries.
- The Emperor of Brazil was an absolutist monarch
- The 1831 ban on slave trade was ineffective and was never enforced
- The Catholic Church had vested interests in the downfall of the Brazilian monarchy
- Slavery was abolished due to British pressure, rather than internal resistance
- And the biggest one: Brazil became independent on September 7th, 1822.

A few misconceptions about Brazil:

- Brazil was a British puppet and Brazilian diplomacy was submissive to British interests.
- The Paraguayan War was the result of British interference in South America aiming at the destruction of an autonomous industrial powerhouse that could serve as a role model for other South American countries.
- The Emperor of Brazil was an absolutist monarch
- The 1831 ban on slave trade was ineffective and was never enforced
- The Catholic Church had vested interests in the downfall of the Brazilian monarchy
- Slavery was abolished due to British pressure, rather than internal resistance
- And the biggest one: Brazil became independent on September 7th, 1822.
You mean all of those are myths?

What's deal with the last one?