Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

What's the earliest a CD-ROM video game console could be released? The first add-on was the CD-ROM² for the TurboGrafx-16 in 1988, and the first CD was released in 1982. What kinda graphical advancements could be possible?

What's the earliest a CD-ROM video game console could be released? The first add-on was the CD-ROM² for the TurboGrafx-16 in 1988, and the first CD was released in 1982. What kinda graphical advancements could be possible?
The PC-ENGINE was the earliest not counting PC's. the Main problem the CD system has is the ram, the mere CD drive reader will demand more ram than your previous average system and it was the PC boom of the 90's that allowed the RAM price to collapse. As i was musing if NEC waited and released the PC DUO earlier, like 1989 and that become their main system in both sides of Pacific, that could have been a hit. And the system itself depends the CPU and GPU the machine, CD is just a storage medium and when RAM become cheaper, more complex graphics become available(Tengai Makyo 1 was very simple, yet 2 and Kabuki-Den were more colorful=

The PC-ENGINE was the earliest not counting PC's. the Main problem the CD system has is the ram, the mere CD drive reader will demand more ram than your previous average system and it was the PC boom of the 90's that allowed the RAM price to collapse. As i was musing if NEC waited and released the PC DUO earlier, like 1989 and that become their main system in both sides of Pacific, that could have been a hit. And the system itself depends the CPU and GPU the machine, CD is just a storage medium and when RAM become cheaper, more complex graphics become available(Tengai Makyo 1 was very simple, yet 2 and Kabuki-Den were more colorful=
What about CPU Motorola 68020 and GPU NEC 7220? CD+G media format. Just a question of RAM, you're saying

What about CPU Motorola 68020 and GPU NEC 7220? CD+G media format. Just a question of RAM, you're saying
For what years is that? That seems like someone modified a Capcom cp1 board, reminder for 1987 Sega have to beg Hitachi for accepting their proposal of bulk order of the regular 68000(not the 010 or 020) for home consoles, the thing is also all consoles GPU were custom made(and thus the most expensive component) as regular graphics chips weren't stronger enough for scrolling (it took Carmack doing it via software for example in 1990) and that being the PC 88 GPU, that seriously lacked scrolling.

If PC engine was 8KB ram for the main console and impressive 64KB of VRAM for this GPU (remember this,is going to be vital) in 1987, by 1988 they added 128KB of RAM alone to the CD expansion, half for CD itself, another half for CD audio(stream ADPCM) and the add on was 400$ 1988 dollars at launch ( cheaper than Mega CD ouch) by 1991 they quadruple the system ram card by 64KB to 256KB with a new add on and separate ram card and by 1994 once again increases it by 8 for the arcade ram card with incredible 2MB of extra ram.

In 1992, something unexpected happened when two cultural icons collided.

The staff of The Ren & Stimpy Show invited Nirvana to guest star and perform a song for an episode.

The impact was so dramatic, it caused seismic shift in the pop culture landscape.

And it wasn't just pop culture that was affected. International geopolitics took a different turn, too.

Join us as we explore the legacy of this groundbreaking event and the impact it had on the world we live in today in..........

Man's Best Friend: An Alternate 1990s and Beyond
Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 8.53.46 AM.png

In 1992, something unexpected happened when two cultural icons collided.

The staff of The Ren & Stimpy Show invited Nirvana to guest star and perform a song for an episode.

The impact was so dramatic, it caused seismic shift in the pop culture landscape.

And it wasn't just pop culture that was affected. International geopolitics took a different turn, too.

Join us as we explore the legacy of this groundbreaking event and the impact it had on the world we live in today in..........

Man's Best Friend: An Alternate 1990s and Beyond
View attachment 828234
AWESOME!!!!

Is the thread up now?

Okay, so recently, this vague idea just came into my head for a ATL where SquareSoft didn't meet up with Disney to develop Kingdom Hearts, and instead went with Nickelodeon to collaborate on a SpongeBob SquarePants RPG. What do you think of this idea?

Okay, so recently, this vague idea just came into my head for a ATL where SquareSoft didn't meet up with Disney to develop Kingdom Hearts, and instead went with Nickelodeon to collaborate on a SpongeBob SquarePants RPG. What do you think of this idea?
Interesting. I'd like to see how a Spongebob RPG would play out. Maybe we can sneak in some additional Nicktoon references along the way?

Interesting. I'd like to see how a Spongebob RPG would play out. Maybe we can sneak in some additional Nicktoon references along the way?

At this point, why not make it a Nicktoons RPG?

I think this sounds interesting. One idea I have for the plot is that it takes place in the world of Dunces and Dragons, with elements of the early Final Fantasy games thrown in for good measure.