Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Votes: 97 57.7%
  • Richmond, Virginia.

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 16 9.5%

• Total voters
Basically the POD is that the idea of creating an entirely new city for the nations capital is never accepted. Thus no Washington DC. So which of these cities would most likely be chosen as the capital of the United States?

(Wait for the Poll)

Well, Philadelphia has political strength, but New York has the strength of being a large and prosperous city and a center of culture. I'd go New York.

I voted Philadelphia. I think the other states would be upset if New York was both the economic capital, and the capital. Too much power in one for their paranoia.

Philip

Donor
Plenty of capitals are like that, though. London, Berlin, etc.
But we are talking about the end of the 18th Century. The various United States would not take to well to one state containing the political capital as well as the economic capital. You can see this hesitation in many federal republics, even today. Look at your example of Berlin -- it is a state unto itself rather than being part of one of the other federal states.

Deleted member 5719

Plenty of capitals are like that, though. London, Berlin, etc.

But not necessarily to their nation's advantage.

New York is not a very good symbolic Capital (especially as the c19th progresses), being in the extreme northeast of the country, on a fucking island no-less.

May lead to a divided US, (yay!).

Hmmmmm, a divided US, 'tis an interesting idea, I shall patent it.

I voted Philadelphia. I think the other states would be upset if New York was both the economic capital, and the capital. Too much power in one for their paranoia.

Well at that time, Philadelphia was not only America's largest city, it was its principal banking center as well.

NYC is too busy as is, without being the capital, atleast today. Phili is the best bet, but the South won't be happy.

As much as I like the idea of New York as capital, I think Philadelphia is more plausible.

Related question: do you think whichever city is chosen would remain part of its state, or would it become a separate Capital Territory like Canberra? This could be very awesome if it was New York: we could have a New York State that does not include New York City :D

I agree thinking that it has to be either Philadelphia or Richmond. Where ever it is it will have to be centrally located so a third option would be Baltimore.

I voted for "other". I'm a Westerner and so I'd like the capital to be somewhere closer to the center of the country.

I'd say Philadelphia, the symbolsim of having the Capital where the First Continental Congress was held and the Declaration of Independance signed would be very impressive. How about an insciption on a new monument in the center of the city: This city of Philadelphia, shining capital of these United states of America, was chosen for her full hearted embrace of the revolutionary Ideals and democratic principles as expounded by our founding fathers, to be seat of this great nation's government.

The Mall analogy could be constructed leading south at right angles to the city center, perhaps along the line of Broad Street?

Given that Congress had originally voted to place the capital along the Susquehanna River and Washington supported the idea, I'm going with Columbia, Pennsylvania (south east of Harrisburg). The town changed its name to Columbia just to sweeten the deal of its being made the capital.

Benjamin

I voted for New York, New York.

Why? Because it was the capital. It could change later on, maybe, but NYC definitely fulfills the condition, unless the POD is moved prior to the Constitution being signed. :p

Onyx

Banned
NYC

The reason is that maybe if they did chose the city for the capital, then the city of what we see today might've been totally different in the other universe.