Political party terms years switched

Come up with what would happen if political parties terms in different countries were "switched" or "flipped.
Like in America , Democratic President during the 80's, Republican President during the 90's, etc
Canada, Pierre Trudeau beaten by Western Canadian Progressive Conservative?
Australia, Labor Prime Ministers instead of
John Howard
United Kingdom, Heath and Wilson terms shuffled?
Anything like that, for many different countries.

Come up with what would happen if political parties terms in different countries were "switched" or "flipped.
Like in America , Democratic President during the 80's, Republican President during the 90's, etc
This is a popular concept on the Alternate History discussion forum. It generally leads to the conclusion that had there been a Democratic President(s) in the 1980s and Republican President(s) in the 1990s, the two major political parties wouldn't be as ideologically driven.

My favorite scenario is Jimmy Carter winning re-election in 1980 and Mondale winning in 1984 with Michael Dukakis as his running mate instead of Geraldine Ferraro. George H. W. Bush wins in 1988 with Bob Dole as his Vice President instead of Dan Quayle, and then wins re-election in 1992. Bob Dole wins in 1996. Al Gore wins in 2000 and 2004 with John Kerry as his running mate instead of Joe Lieberman. John McCain wins in 2008 and 2012 with Mitt Romney as his running mate instead of Sarah Palin. I know plenty of butterflies are involved with this scenario, but it would make electing third consecutive terms more common after 1988.

Last edited:
This is a popular concept on the Alternate History discussion forum. It generally leads to the conclusion that had there been a Democratic President(s) in the 1980s and Republican President(s) in the 1990s, the two major political parties wouldn't be as ideologically driven.

My favorite scenario is Jimmy Carter winning re-election in 1980 and Mondale winning in 1984 with Michael Dukakis as his running mate instead of Geraldine Ferraro. George H. W. Bush wins in 1988 with Bob Dole as his Vice President instead of Dan Quayle, and then wins re-election in 1992. Bob Dole wins in 1996. Al Gore wins in 2000 and 2004 with John Kerry as his running mate instead of Joe Lieberman. John McCain wins in 2008 and 2012 with Mitt Romney as his running mate instead of Sarah Palin. I know plenty of butterflies are involved with this scenario, but it would make electing third consecutive terms more common after 1988.

I was wondering what the effects would be of having the Democratic party in charge during the economic liberalization the 80's around the world. Thatcher, Economic rationalism in New Zealand and Australia, but what if someone like Ted Kennedy were in charge instead of Reagan? I've seen evidence that he might have been somewhat of a proto new Democrat anyway, so maybe he still would have Liberalized the economy, with a different approach than the old new dealers, but less extreme than Reagan.