Pohjolan Isännät: An Alternate History of Finland

Foreword
Foreword:
Many years ago as an inexperienced writer and student I undertook the momentous task of creating an alternate history of Finland stretching from the 13th century all the way to our modern day.

I failed.

Not only was I just entering working life, the stress of weekly updates began to take away the enjoyment of writing, and many, many tiny issues robbed me of the idea which I abandoned. Recently however, I've once again began to consider this scenario, and wish to write of it. I've decided against continuing directly from my earlier timeline which you can find here, instead figuring to start fresh with a new format and hopes.

Without further ado... I present to you: Pohjolan Isännät. (Lords of the North)

Title
Pohjolan Isännät
finlandarms-png.186977

Again, my thanks to @The Professor for the coat of arms he created for the original tale.

A nation is always birthed by a legacy; whatever that legacy be one from the long distant past, an echo of an ideal or more commonly… the overlong shadow that a great man leaves in his wake. The legacy that was to forge the Kingdom of Finland was born of the latter, standing forever as a testament to the greatness of King Birger “The Great” Magnusson. A great man he was indeed, though a conflicted one with accounts by his friends and enemies alike fuelling speculation, hate and valorous deeds even centuries later.

But the greatness of a man is not enough for a birth of a nation. Something else is required as well… an identity; a set of common ideals that unite a people rather than dividing them. A man of greatness might be able to rally the people to his banner, but if when he falls there is nothing in common with the people his banner will fall.

This is the story of said legacy and identity.

The Finnish identity.

--​

The history of the Kingdom of Finland can be traced to the Second Swedish Crusade during which Jarl Birger Magnusson finally subdued the long resisting Tavastian tribes of central Finland (the known as ‘Österland’), only to receive word that with the death of King Erik, the envious Jarls of Sweden had elected his son Valdemar rather than himself as King of the Swedes. Stung by the betrayal and fearful for the survival of his very family, he called upon the native Finnish chieftains and petty kings; whom he’d spent a good half decade fighting; to solidify his position and possibly use their manpower to secure his future.

As the months dragged on however, and the mighty Jarl was still kept lock, stock and key in Åbo, unable to muster support enough to return to his estates in Östergotland; when he was offered an alternate… tantalizing possibility by his long-time friend and confidante William of Modena; whom thanks to his efforts in bringing Sweden to the one true faith had the ear of Pope Innocent VI and the Holy See. Using that influence, William found his Holiness open to the idea of a new crown being forged in the North East to secure the future of Catholicism in the region and safeguard the fledgling duchies in the Baltic from possible Orthodox conversion.

After prolonged negotiations where William and his fellows acted as go betweens, Jarl Birger was offered a crown by his Holiness. It may not have been the crown he’d so long sought, and it might’ve been a dangerous one as it put him in between the rising powers of Sweden and Novgorod, but it was a crown… and it was that Crown of the North that Jarl Birger donned on the 6th of December 1250 to signal his ascension to the position of King of all the Finns.

Though his formal introduction was to be “Birger Ensimmäinen, Suomen Kuningas ja Karjalan Suuriruhtinas “ (Birger the First, King of Finland and Grand Prince of Karelia), the Finnish chieftains soon took up to hailing his name and a strange phrase in their native tongue and a new title was incorporated into his growing list of them.

Lord of the North.[1]

[1]Pohjolan Isäntä. The resulting title in English would Birger I, King of Finland, Grand Prince of Karelia and Lord of the North, whereas in Finnish it would be Birger Ensimmäinen, Suomen Kuningas, Karjalan Suuriruhtinas ja Pohjolan Isäntä.

Last edited:
Reign of Birger I, (1250-1270)
Reign of Birger I, (1250-1270)

To some, the Finland that emerged after Birgers coronation must've seemed like another world entirely. To many inland in the 'wastes' of Tavastia, Savolax, Österbotten and Karelia not much would change, but in the coasts of Finland Proper and Nyland the changes were already visible as ships continued to arrive from Sweden bearing the fortunes and family of the mighty Jarl-turned-King. Among those arriving were the Kings two sons, Magnus and Erik, as well as their sister Rikissa; whom would go onto maintain the ascendant kingdom in the decades to come.

Though at first King Birgers move to declare his independence and accept the Crown of the North as offered by his Holiness Pope Innocent might seem impulsive; and it very well might have been one, Birger was by nature a cautious man. He'd seen the rise and fall of ambitious statesmen, fought multiple campaigns both, to the south and east, and risen to the position of Jarl of Sweden, though he'd shed that title with his ascendance as King. He could very well see the weak position he found himself in, and had few illusions about the hard road he was setting himself and his family up for.

Firstly, much of his Kingdom was only nominally under his control... if even that. The so called 'Kruununmaat'[1] only included parts of the southern coast, and though his capitol and the largest town in the region, Åbo was located there, the rest of even his own domains was quite poor and sparsely populated. In fact, the region he'd named Nyland was just that... New Land, with only sparse Tavastian and Finn presence whom had taken to establishing token fishing, woodcutting and farming communities. Not only was the land sparsely populated and hard fought against, his rule beyond those lands might as well not have been.

The Chieftains of Tavastia, Savolax, Sadakunta andÖsterbotten had all pledged fealty to him, and had even rallied to name him the Lord of the North, but it seemed even they'd only done so to mute the danger faced from the Swedish realm, and now had little intention of allowing a foreigner to change their ancient ways. These so called "Heimokunnat"[2], it seemed were here to stay and would not go quietly. In fact, many to the east of Savolax were either not aware of this new King, or then just did not particularly care for his presence and made no overtures to pledge fealty.

It was not all bad however. The independent nature of these tribes made them quite sturdy, and even though none had built castles as such, much of the kingdom was dominated by hillforts constructed and manned by the tribes, meaning that the crown would not have to expend precious resources in their defence quite just yet.

Despite his cautious nature and advancing age, Birger seemed to be overcome by energy of a man half his age, and whilst to many a crown may have seemed a heavy thing indeed, to him it was light as a feather and he seemed as though he'd been born to wear one; and he worked day and night to advance his realm.

On the diplomatic front he was met by his greatest success, managing to arrange marriages for both, his daughter Rikissa and his heir-apparent Magnus; with Rikissa being wed to Haakonn Haakonson, the younger co-king of Norway, and Magnus to Sophia of Denmark, daughter of King Erik IV of Denmark. Not only did the marriages bring the three realms closer, they helped secure Birgers western front from potentially ambitious Jarls that might deem action against the new Kingdom preferable to peace, even if the same family ruled both Kingdoms... at least in name.

Back home however, Birger was met with more opposition as the traditionally independent tribes began to clash with the arriving Swedish gentry. Even though the new Swedish presence was mostly concentrated on the coast, the increasingly apparent favoritism of the King towards people from his homeland was beginning to irk the natives, and though many an argument could've been made towards the cause being that the Finns simply were not present in the capitol, nor educated enough to help with the management of the realm, they meant very little in the long term. After a prolonged diplomatic stalemate which lasted well into the 60s, King Birger was forced to concede defeat and formalize the creation of a Nobles Assembly similar to that in Sweden where nobles and gentry could have a hand in management of the realm and voice their discontent without needing to bring weapons.

Though many would argue that creation of the 'Rälssi'[3] as a legislative body was a defeat for the monarchy right when it needed as many defeats under its belt as possible, just as many do note that it in the future would allow Finland to transition from an Absolutist Monarchy to a parliamentary one with little to no fuss, thanks to the people already having the idea of a Monarch answering to the people being so 'bloody obvious'.

What was most certainly a defeat however was the immediate costs of allowing such a body, namely the nobility and budding clergy demanding freedom from taxation, which the King was forced to concede to. Though the loss of income couldn't have been great as the monarch had very few means to actually collect said tax even if laws were to allow it, the combined power of the Rälssi and independent nature of the Heimokunnat would come to haunt many a future King and Queen, until both institutions were abolished in the 1500s, only to be replaced by the Parliament structure.[4]

Though the maintenance of the crown was proving more than difficult, Birger had no intention of giving in, and managed to extract several concessions from the Rälssi:

1) All nobles, chieftains and clergy were to respond to the call of the Monarch in times of war, arriving personally with their retinues and levies at a predetermined location named by the King.

2) The Monarch alone reserved the right to construct and man castles (though hillforts were still allowed by the natives), and the maintenance of those castles would be paid for by the locals.

3) In exchange for not being taxed and being given seats in the Rälssi, the Clergy would answer to God first, Crown second and Pope Third, rather than Pope holding all three positions.

Though it wasn't much to go with, it was enough and Birger set about using some of the wealth he'd accumulated from decades of war and good management in service of Sweden.

Firstly, he ordered the construction of a castle on an island in Vanajavesi in Tavastia; both to honour his victory there and to secure the vital lakeland and river links that passed on by. Though said castle 'Hämeen Linna' as it came to be called was formally a royal stronghold, its commander was more often than not from the Bååt family, which had supported King Birger during the late Crusades against Tavastians, and post independence; and had thus been rewarded with large estates around Vanajavesi, as well as the title of Vanajaveden Herra (Lord of Vanajavesi).

Secondly, he began to encourage overland commerce between the tribes and especially between the tribes and his capitol at Åbo, mostly by constructing roads and way-stations which fostered a closer relationship and easier transport of goods between peoples. Though it would take literally centuries for the deepest depths of the seemingly impenetrable Finnish forests to allow large scale traffic, the slow construction of roads acted not only as a reasonably well paid job for large numbers of labourers, but also helped encourage the growth of the economy.

Finally, the King continued to usher in the arrival of Catholic Christianity to Finland till his last breath, working hand in hand with the clergy to peacefully convert as many of the pagan Finns as he could, and though he seemed to have little luck at first, his efforts did not go unnoticed and by the time of his death in the October of 1270 several stone churches had risen up in Åbo, Borgå, Tavastia and even Savolax. His efforts would go on to see his beatification some half a century later, and though he was never formally sainted, many utter the name of the Blessed Birger in the same breath as Saint Henry, the Patron Saint of Finland.[5]

[1]: "Crownlands". The lands held directly by the Crown. ITL that includes what is present day Varsinais-Suomi (Finland proper), and Uusimaa (Nyland), as well as bits of Satakunta (Sadakunta) and Häme (Tavastia).

[2}: An entirely made up word I came up with some five minutes ago. It literally means something like "Formalized Tribal lands" or "Reservation".

[3]: Frälse. Literally "Free Neck". A Nordic concept of nobility, basically a man whom was nobody's servant and had absolute rights on his own land to things like regalia, hunting, water and other resources.

[4]: Unsure how much explanation this whole bit is going to need, but as my proof reader mentioned that even though there was lots of words which she was sure were being used correctly, she had no idea what I was actually saying... so here's an explanation in simpler words: The King has lost the ability to tax roughly 70% of his Kingdom.

[5]: Saint Henry is the Patron Saint of Finland, both OTL and ITL. In popular imagination he is an almost Saint Patrick like figure that converted the Finns to Christianity, only to be slain by a peasant called Lalli for eating all his food and drinking all his ale. The reality was quite different as even by the time of Birgers ascencion, Christianity had not taken firm root anywhere outside of the urban areas of Åbo and the vast majority of the country remained pagan.

Last edited:
Lol, I thought this was Hosts of the North (as in host of a party), since that's how the word is used in modern Finnish.
What first came to my mind was someone with an 'Isäntä' t-shirt. Also, a farmer.

Edit. It is also used to mean: man of the house/husband. (just to inform all the non-Finnish speakers)

Last edited:
Good luck and persistence with the TL, Olligarchy. This site sorely needs good (and not discontinued) Finnish TLs.

What first came to my mind was someone with an 'Isäntä' t-shirt. Also, a farmer.

Edit. It is also used to mean: man of the house/husband. (just to inform all the non-Finnish speakers)

Isäntä
really is a word that can't be directly translated into English as, like you know, it carries a very specific set of meanings for us Finns. I come from the countryside, and to me the word mostly means a farmer who is the master of his own house. As in the saying/quip "isäntä itse" (the master of the house himself), to note the position of the man present. Maybe not a herra [1], but definitely not a renki [2] either. An independent actor with a house and some land, making for a steady income and a certain position in a local agrarian community. Finnish farmers have traditionally been very proud of their independence, even if their holdings would have been small and actual incomes small. Even a torppari [3] might be called an isäntä, though this usage might shift from area to another.

For the benefit of non-Finns:

[1] The other possible translation for "lord". Some may remember that I have a long-gestating TL project with the working title The Lords of the North myself, and in that the Finnish original would be "Pohjolan herrat". Not herra as in "herra Mäkinen" (Mister Hill) or "vanhat herrat" (the old gentlemen) but as in "kartanonherra" (the lord of the manor). And then there is also Herra, capitalized, used for the Lord as in the Christian God, and herraviha, the habitual, ingrained, jantelovian dislike, distrust and sheer hate many Finns have against their lords and masters.
[2] Farmhand.
[3] A tenant farmer.

Last edited:
Intriguing start and glad those arms have come into use again :p

It might interest those here that "lord" comes from the Anglo-Saxon "hlaford/hlafweard" which meant "breadguardian" and came to mean "master of his own household".
It's interesting that there was more usage of that word than "haerra" "more venerable, elder".

This is going to be an interesting read - I just read your previous attempt thanks to a link someone recently posted in another thread, so I can probably compare how the two timelines go as you write the story.

This is a very promising scenario, and I much look forward to reading more of it!

As DrakonFin can attest, my knowledge of Finland really is quite limited, but seeing I do know a little about my native Sweden, I feel I must give you some constructive criticism here on one point:

Back home however, Birger was met with more opposition as the traditionally independent tribes began to clash with the arriving Swedish gentry. Even though the new Swedish presence was mostly concentrated on the coast, the increasingly apparent favoritism of the King towards people from his homeland was beginning to irk the natives, and though many an argument could've been made towards the cause being that the Finns simply were not present in the capitol, nor educated enough to help with the management of the realm, they meant very little in the long term. After a prolonged diplomatic stalemate which lasted well into the 60s, King Birger was forced to concede defeat and formalize the creation of a Nobles Assembly similar to that in Sweden where nobles and gentry could have a hand in management of the realm and voice their discontent without needing to bring weapons.

Though many would argue that creation of the 'Rälssi'[3] as a legislative body was a defeat for the monarchy right when it needed as many defeats under its belt as possible, just as many do note that it in the future would allow Finland to transition from an Absolutist Monarchy to a parliamentary one with little to no fuss, thanks to the people already having the idea of a Monarch answering to the people being so 'bloody obvious'.

What was most certainly a defeat however was the immediate costs of allowing such a body, namely the nobility and budding clergy demanding freedom from taxation, which the King was forced to concede to. Though the loss of income couldn't have been great as the monarch had very few means to actually collect said tax even if laws were to allow it, the combined power of the Rälssi and independent nature of the Heimokunnat would come to haunt many a future King and Queen, until both institutions were abolished in the 1500s, only to be replaced by the Parliament structure.[4]

There really was no such thing as a Nobles Assembly in Sweden at the time of this post. Indeed, in Sweden at the time, there really was no nobility, either. There was a gentry, of course, which basically consisted of wealthy men without formal titles that exercised considerable influence in their little informalized fiefdoms. These were powerful men, and nobles in all but name, but nobility proper first came to Sweden in 1280 by royal decree from Magnus Ladulås (Birger Jarl's son), and that was then essentially a step towards creating a more reliable and disciplined military force for his realm.

Furthermore, though the Scandinavian countries do have a history of having popular assemblies were various geographical areas, interests, social classes, etc. were represented, a tradition now sadly forgotten by most Scandinavians, it must be said that these assemblies were often highly informal things, with no clear rules on how the body was to be composed, who had the right to vote in them, how the voting in the assemblies were to take place, etc., and it was also very unclear whether or not these assemblies on a national level really had any power at all. In the beginning they really were just forums for complaint with no more legislative power than say, the Continental Congress in America at the start of their War of Independence in the 1770s. Frequently, they actually met to voice their opposition towards the King, against the King's wishes and direct orders, and it was really first in the 16th century that the Vasa kings started to use these assemblies to lend legitimacy to their policies by having them endorsed by the people. And in those days, certainly earlier, in the Middle Ages, there really was no notion in Sweden of the Riksdag as an institution in the same was as there (already at that time) there was a notion of Parliament in England. The word first appears in the late 16th century, and is then a loanword from German. These meetings weren't sessions of a formal body, they were basically just summits, one distinct from another. But thanks to infighting between the Vasa, in particular Sigismund vs. Charles IX, the Riksdag starts to gain substance in the minds of the Swedes as being something concrete that exists.

It is however first when Gustav II Adolf reaches maturity that the Riksdag is formally given something that can be properly said to be legislative powers, and then this is only in a very diluted form, because Gustav II Adolf, at the height of his popularity, now wishing to become even more popular, wishes to appear magnanimous, and because he knows that the Riksdag won't ever vote against his wishes, he promises not to make laws against the wishes of the Riksdag.

But that does not mean that the Riksdag actually makes law yet. That is still the prerogative of the monarch and his royal council. He merely says that the Riksdag now has the opportunity to voice their displeasure if the King makes a law they don't like, and he only promises that he will honour them if that comes to pass. It takes over a hundred years after that for the Riksdag to properly become a formal legislative assembly.

That does not mean that there weren't legislative assemblies in Sweden in the Middle Ages, for there were. These were the landsting, and they had existed since... Well, actually we don't know since when, because much of Swedish history in the Viking Ages has been forged by later chroniclers. It's very difficult to say really what really happen when the official accounts have it that the various kings and chieftains claiming descent from the Gods of Valhalla are fighting each other, one king being able to speak with the birds, another king owning a magical mill that can create gold and mead (very similar to the one in Kalevala, come to think of it), and so forth and so on.

These functioned as both the legislative assembly and the supreme courts of their respective provinces, and, really, they were in the early middle ages, the ones with the supreme power in the land, the king merely being a central figure whose task it was to protect these provinces and keep them together and rally them against a common enemy. Sweden really was more a confederation of provinces akin to Medieval Switzerland than a true nation state at this point.

I hope I'm not coming across here as too much of something of a know-it-all trying to tear down this project, because that's not my wish, and in fact I am very much in favour of seeing this develop further. But I do feel that you're dabbling in anachronisms on the point of an assembly of nobles. You're trying to place a concept that first exist in Scandinavia in the 16th century in the 13th century, and it just doesn't work.

Still, keep up the good and dedicated work! :)

Reign of Magnus I (1270 – 1299)
Reign of Magnus I (1270 – 1299)

The passing of King Birger I was a watershed moment for the new Kingdom. Many men are able to create Kingdoms and Empires during their lifetime, but it is a mark of true greatness that such institutions survive them. Perhaps it was the still disunited nature of the Kingdom which allowed people to largely speaking ignore the monarchy, perhaps it was the respect that both the nobles and commons held for the now dead King, or perhaps it was the sheer cunning and genius of his heir, the thirty year old Magnus Birgersson, but the first Finnish succession went off without a hitch.

After the large state funeral of King Birger was dealt with, the Rälssi were gathered at Åbo to discuss the matters of succession. Though many realms in Europe already handled succession from father to eldest son, that could simply not due as that would've passed the crown off to Valdemar whom was already King of Sweden. As such the Rälssi was allowed to debate the candidates (mostly other sons of Birger and a few of their own numbers) until they reached a consensus where Birgers second son Magnus, whom had for decades now been groomed to be the heir was allowed to ascend to the throne as King of Finland and Grand Prince of Karelia.

Having married Sophia of Denmark some decade and a half ago, Magnus had the distinct honour of having been groomed by his father to be the next King, and had thus acted as his emissary, adviser and general go-between on many occasions, letting the local nobility get a feel for the capable young man that seemed to have a magical ability to rub together two coins to create a third. He'd even spent several years in the Danish court, honing his diplomatic skills and forging alliances with the greatest of the Nordic Kingdoms. As such... no matter what the Rälssi may have muttered, his ascencion was never truly in doubt, and when he was crowned with the crown of the North he hit the ground running, already negotiating with the nobles, clergy and even a few of the more prominent burghers to get some of his ideas passed.

His first decree is what he is most commonly known for and received his Swedish nickname 'Ladulås' or 'Barnlock' for. It is theorized that he gained it due to having decreed that the commoners would no longer have to provide sustenance for travelling nobles and bishops when not on said nobles own lands. Though a seemingly minor concession, it heralded its roots to the misuse of said law by even the likes of Saint Henry, where nobles and clergy would come, eat the larder dry and drink all the ale and leave, never to be heard from again except maybe to come collect some bastards that had been sired with the hosts daughters.[1]

His second decree is less well known, mostly because it was less clear and quite frankly mostly due to Magnus' own disinterest in things military; but the Maasotilas Komento[2] formalized many of the facts that were already in place within the Kingdom; commanding that the landed nobles answer calls to arms with mounted men and knights, the burghers arrive with pikes, spears and shields and that the tribes arrive with what they could amass.... mostly bows, spears and axes. Strange as it may sound, the Edict and its records allow us a glimpse into the army of the Kingdom, wherein during the Novgorodian Invasion of Karelia in 1280, the composition of the army was detailed thus:

-1,000 men of the royal retinue

--100 Mounted Knights

--600 Men at Arms

---200 Mounted

---400 On Foot

--300 Crossbowmen

-1,000 levies of the Crownlands

--700 Footmen, mostly armed with spears, bills and pikes

--200 Crossbowmen

--100 Mounted Gentry

-3,000 Tribal Levies (mostly from Tavastia and Savolax, but with more trickling in from as far as Österbotten)

Though there is little explanation or ratio given for the tribal levies, it is likely that many of them would've used whatever tools or weapons they used in their daily lives, which would've meant axes for lumberjacks, spears and bows for hunters and whatever could be gotten for the rest.

Though Magnus was no warrior king, his experiences in the south and the lessons of his father had given him an excellent understanding of power, and how one had to present it to the outside world. As such, among the MaasotilasKomento he included several orders that stipulated a certain amount of money for the royal forces, equipping them to the latest standard and even with a bit of finery to make them strike out from the 'rabble'. These were the troops that the both enemies and friends were meant to see, and fear fighting on the field of battle; even if their numbers might make them a largely minor part of any host.

In addition to the vast amounts of legislations, edicts and commands that Magnus came up with and were faithfully recorded by royal scribes and the clergy into the first Lakikirja (Lawbook), Magnus not only kept pace with his fathers construction and infrastructure projects, but increased them in both size and scope, deciding that the port faculties in Åbo needed an increase, and that the chief Bishop of Finland should have a grander house than a mere church; he funded both projects, fostering better relations with the merchants in th Baltic, and constructing the very first Cathedral in Finland.

All of this cost money however, as Magnus soon discovered; and though King Birger had been by some accounts the richest man in Sweden and brought much of his wealth with him, it was one thing to savour the wealth as a rich man in Östergotland, and quite another to spend it in the maintenance and general running of a kingdom. The crown was running out of money... fast.

Thanks to his fathers great 'credit rating', he was able to secure some low interest loans from merchants and bankers, both foreign and domestic, but it soon became apparent that this was purely a stopgap measure, and that the crown would need a far greater source for income than the taxes and rents gained from the Crownland alone. At first he considered simply raising taxes on his own territory, but when the mayor of Åbo noted that a king who raised taxes too much might find himself a head short, Magnus elected for an... alternate solution.

Or two.

What came to be was the first Finnish tolling system where the way posts set prior by King Birger also began to serve as tolling booths to collect a fee for using the increasingly vital royal highways; and in the ports ships also began to pay toll for using the harbour faculties. Whilst the income was not a massive godsend, it did at least allow the crown to balance the books and maintain the standards of living they were becoming accustomed to.

The latter half of the 70s saw another great threat rise from the east, as the Mongol Empire ravaged many of the Russian Principalities, burning cities to the ground and extracting tribute from the rest. Many families found themselves displaced and began to flee as far from the horde as they could, with a surprisingly large number aiming north, past the Novgorod and the Neva river into Karelia, which was rumoured to be free of Mongols and protected by witches.

Unsurprisingly, the native Karelians did not give the refugees a warm welcome, and soon began to raid their caravans and settlements, forcing the refugees further westwards, until they reached the western branch of the Vuoksi river, only to be met by an armed host of the Kingdom, whom demanded to know where they were going.

What followed was a lengthy introduction as the emerging leaders of the refugees were allowed to travel further west to Åbo to make their case to the King, and the others began to settle on crown territory under the watchful eye of the Kings men, whom not only kept the peace, but banished any further Karelian raiders.

In Åbo, King Magnus was sympathetic to the Russians needs and though he had his reservations, allowed the refugees to settle at the place where they'd been halted under royal protection. Eventually the ad-hoc refugee camp would be surrounded by a palisade and begin to surround the armed guards camp which soon enough grew into a castle, and the camp into a city which the new 'natives' took to calling "Viipuri" or Vyborg.

Despite the royal magnanimity however, the native Karelians did not take kindly to the new settlers, and violence between the Orthodox and pagan populations was an additional headache for the crowned heads of Finland, until the conversion of Karelia begun to take root.

Karelia, it seemed was destined to be a battlefield however, as in 1285 Andrei Alexandrovich of Novgorod announced his intention of subduing the region under his Principality. It seemed, that even though Sweden and Novgorod no longer shared any borders, the old grudges that had resulted in the Swedish-Novgorodian wars still held strong, and so the young monarchy was now forced to either concede its papal given claim to Karelia, or then step up to battle possibly the strongest remaining Russian state for control of the region.

Though the Rälssi talked and talked and talked, Magnus was already taking action. Sending messengers to Denmark and Norway to which he was tied by marriage and the marriage of his sister, he requested aid against the Orthodox Russian invasion of what was clearly Catholic territory of the Kingdom. Though he did not expect his allies to desert him, the strength of the response took even him by surprise.

In several months time a multitude of Longships bearing a thousand men from Denmark, and a similarly sized host from Norway appeared on the horizons, only to be met with rapturous glee at Åbo where their leaders were wined and dined by the King, even as the men ate with the people of the city, emptying many a tavern and ale sink of all its goods. If this was war, it was good to be in one!

The celebrations grew larger still, when a fleet from Denmark bearing both; King Valdemar and his troops arrived as well. Though uninvited, they clearly came to aid their brethren, and the image of teary eyed Magnus and Valdemar embracing in Åbo harbour has forever been imprinted in the cathedral of the city... and the collective imaginations of their people.

The celebrations were tempered by news from the scouts, however. It seemed that a Novgorodian host, eight thousand strong was marching through the Karelian isthmus towards the Vuoksi river, intent on forcing the capitulation of the recently arrived refugees, as well as the local Karelian tribes.

Acting in unison, the Nordic armies decided upon a plan where the two thousand professional Finnish men at arms and their Scandinavian allies would march eastwards to confront the main host, whereas the tribal chieftains were responsible for invading northern Karelia, forcing submission from the local chieftains and petty kings, as well as distract any alternate Novgorodian offensives in that direction.

What followed was the first proper military campaign undertaken by the young realm, and surprisingly enough... the Battle of Vuoksi river was a resounding victory for the Finns and their allies.

The allies had the good fortune to arrive at Vuoksi river before the Novgorodians could cross, and the allies march had gone unseen by their scouts, so the allies were able to hide in the manyfold forests and bushes on their side of the river, awaiting for the Novgorodians to build rafts for their equipment and begin to ford the river. When a sufficient number of them had crossed, the Finns and Norse sprung from their hiding places and laid great violence upon the divided and leaderless Novgorodians, many of whom died with sword, spear or axe to their back even as they attempted to flee to their side of the river.

Though bloodied, the Novgorodians led by Andrei Alexandrovich still held the advantage of numbers and mobility thanks to their enlarged cavalry contingent, so the battle did not end there. Rather the two armies would continue to manouver and skirmish across the width and breadth of the river, unleashing volleys from their bows, crossbows and even throwing weapons, only to fall back out of reach. Though this sort of warfare lasted for over a week, eventually Andrei Alexandrovich lost his temper and decided to cross the ford on the eastern branch of Vuoksi, Nordic alliance there or nay.

What followed was a fierce and bloody battle where the Nordic men at arms formed a disciplined shieldwall on their side, even as the Novgorodian host crossed the river and assaulted them, screaming bloody battle cries. The Finns, whom held the centre of the formation seemed to hold strong at first, but were eventually forced on their back foots by the sheer numbers assailing them, the allied formation slowly beginning to resemble a U rather than the disciplined line it had been.

That however, like at Carrhae turned to the defenders advantage as the previously rash assault of the Novgorodians had left their flanks exposed, allowing the Swedes, Danes and Norwegian men to strike them at their sides and back, causing chaos and mayhem on a scale not seen before. The wailing of men and animals filled the air as blood was spilled by both sides, but in the end it was the Novgorodian levies that began to rout, terrified as rumours of Norse berserkers and Finnish witches filled their ranks.

Though many died in the bloodied waters of Vuoksi, the Novgorodian defeat was not complete, as they had complete cavalry superiority and once the Nordic forces crossed the river they were forced to contend with a much more mobile enemy that was able to harass and raid them with practical impunity. Deciding to end the war, King Magnus ordered a march through the Isthmus towards Novgorod herself, intending to sack the city and force capitulation from his enemies.

As the Nordic forces crossed from the Isthmus however, panic began to overtake the citizens of the city whom now found themselves defenceless against the combined Nordic armies, and Andrei Alexandrovich was forced to come to terms.

The terms imposed by King Magnus were harsh. In addition to the Novgorodians having to sign away any and all claims to territory north of the Onega, a tribute was exacted by the King to pay for his troops, allies and with some leftover for his own coffers. The terms were considered fair, and even lentient by many however, as Novgorod, unlike so many other Russian cities of the period escaped being sacked, and with the issue of Karelia settled once and for all, the relations between the Kingdom and Principality could be normalized.

Back west in Åbo, Magnus celebrated his victory with his kin and brother. Not only had he gained a great victory to his name, the tribute from Novgorod had stabilized his coffers for now, and cemented his place in history. As his allies began to head back west however, he offered one last embrace to his brother Valdemar, knowing somewhere deep in his heart that it would be the last time they'd meet.

As the 80s turned into 90s, the Kingdom was once again at peace, and had grown to its greatest natural extent, encompassing everything from the southern coast of Finland to the northern mountains of Norway, as well as everything from the Gulf of Bothnia eastwards until the White Sea. Though many of the areas were quasi-independent (such as the Sami tribes that traversed around Lappland and Kola peninsula), the King could at least on paper claim to be leading a mighty kingdom with few equals in size.

Not only were the borders of the Kingdom expanding, but so were its coffers. Whilst Finland proper had never been short of resources such as furs, timber, tar and amber to name a few, within Karelia the Finns would find a veritable motherlode of iron, diamonds and copper which would go onto fuel a native iron industry and save the Kingdom from having to be reliant on external suppliers. All of these raw materials began to be ferried along the slowly emerging roads or river systems to either Åbo or Viipuri, where they'd be transformed into goods or transported along the Baltic southwards into the Germanies or even so far as England. The English unrepentant lust for Finnish timber and tar would only grow with years.

As his Kingdom and its wealth grew, Magnus once again looked to the defence of his realm and ordered the construction of more royal strongholds in Savolax, Karelia and Vyborg, intent on securing the vital river networks and his borders. He also ordered the enlargement of the Åbocastle which had served as the royal home since the times of King Birger and earlier.

With that, it seemed that the once vigorous king ran out of time and energy, and in the winter of 1299 he took with a fever, and slept into the arms of god on the 18th of December, leaving behind a Kingdom far richer and grander than he'd inherited. Whilst many attribute King Birger with the founding of the realm, Magnus has often been seen as the man that took the raw iron of Finland and forged something of true worth out of it. Not only did he vastly expand the borders and economy of the kingdom, he also solidified diplomatic relations with the other Nordic realms, and fostered closer relations with Novgorod... even if inadvertently.

[1]: See how the tale of Saint Henry came around?

[2]: Edict of Levy.

I forgot, changing the history of Finland will also change the history of Poland, Richeza Elizabeth, the heiress of Przemyslaw of Poland is related to the rulers of Finland and Sweden..

I'm really enjoying this so far. I've always found Finland fascinating but, sadly, it always falls into the realm of "regions and nations that seem interesting, but I don't know as much about as I should." Good job, so far and I will continue to look forward to updates. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to substantive to offer.