POD 1814: Anglo-Dutch Union

Something I noticed while reading over the Hanoverian Kings for my other TL
(hiatus again, sadly - they will all be updated when I get around to it. Sorry.)

Princess Charlotte Augusta, sole child and heir presumptive of the Prince Regent (later George IV of the United Kingdom), considered several suitors for her marriage, the most successful of whom was Leopold of Saxe-Coburg, later King of Belgium. But he was but one of the suitors, and not the most important, by a long stretch.

The first young man to catch her eye - and the one most suited to this timeline - was Hereditary Prince William of Orange. This was a joint project, considered by the Houses of Orange and Hanover, and intended to link their two nations in a dynastic union - partly to give Britain a foothold on the Continent once Charlotte's accession loosed Hanover from the union, and partly to safeguard the Netherlands from future French (or Prussian) incursions. (The union would also take care of the Cape Colony problem - namely, that Britain had been "administrating" the Dutch colonies in the Indies and South Africa for the last twenty years. This union would allow them to be returned as something of a dowry.)

However, disaster struck, when it was revealed that Prince William had a bit of a problem with the booze, and made a bit of a prat of himself at Ascot. This upset Charlotte quite a bit, and she reversed her position on him (whereas until then she'd considered herself engaged to him). When her father tried to force her into marrying William, she ran away from home. (To her mother, though, so not as dramatic as it might seem.) George eventually backed down from his position, and the door was opened for Leopold to win Charlotte's heart.

But what if he'd been a bit more sensible at Ascot, or she'd been a bit more blinded by love?

The implications are obvious - they get married. But weddings aren't secret, especially not ones between the heirs of two large Kingdoms. The future Anglo-Dutch union would have huge effects on the Congress of Vienna, and quite possibly Napoleon's escape would have been butterflied away (it was never that likely, really). The other Powers at Vienna would likely try and counterbalance this coming alliance, seeing it as upsetting the European balance again.

Or not. Maybe. I don't know. Which is why I'm asking you lot. Alternate Congress of Vienna with an Anglo-Dutch union in the cards later - what would this look like?

Interesting...

Anyway, with such a big addition to the British Empire (the entire Dutch Empire... :eek::D:cool:), the other powers are going to want considerable compensation for it...

Could we see Austria keeping the Southern Netherlands, or having them partitioned between Prussia and the Netherlands?

Prussia will probably demand more of Saxony, if they could get it. (Wettin King of Belgium, anyone? ;)) Maybe Prussia could get Luxembourg (all of it?)?

Not sure how much Russia will care. Maybe they could demand all of Possen, in return for a bigger Prussia elsewhere?

Well it wouldn't have been a Union, this wasn't the Middle Ages. However, it could mean a well cemented alliance which could have alot of influence on the events of 1830.

Well it wouldn't have been a Union, this wasn't the Middle Ages. However, it could mean a well cemented alliance which could have alot of influence on the events of 1830.

No, a dynastic union. That was the whole point. Not mixing governments, of course - the crowns would have a relationship like that of Britain and Hanover, which is hardly "mediaeval".

I think it would look alot more like the reign of Willem III, Stadholder of Holland and King of England. The monarch would rule both countries and it would lead to a well-cemented alliance.

I think it would look alot more like the reign of Willem III, Stadholder of Holland and King of England. The monarch would rule both countries and it would lead to a well-cemented alliance.

Oh! Well, yes, that's vaguely what I meant. Sorry about the confusion.

Yes, I think it would be less easy for Belgium to break away - assuming that the British public react positively towards the union, as opposed to thinking "God, our country's passing from one German prince to the next..." (with reason, I guess - from Holland, to Hanover, to Holland again). If the public opinion is against the Netherlands, William may find it hard to get support for his quashing.

Given that Charlotte Augusta was extremely headstrong, there is the outside chance that this marriage may have stagnated or even may have ended in ignominious divorce. Being under the influence of her uncles, if she got fed up with her husband she might even have taken some lovers. Then there's the complication of an heir- if the marriage does last, Queen Charlotte may prove a Mary I or Queen Anne, with her children dying at birth or in infancy. With Charlotte queen of course her uncles wont rush to marry for an heir, so butterfly away Queen Victoria. Of course Ernest Augustus married for love; so if Charlotte dies childless, you could conceivably have something like an Anglo-Hanoverian-Dutch alliance. But that may be a little extreme......:eek:

Why would Holland stay in this union if Charlotte dies childless? The throne would go through the House of Orange, not the House of Crazy Dead Wife.

But I agree that the marriage would be... tumultuous. Possibly even tempestuous.

I could see the Whigs trying to limit the royal powers while she was on the throne. (Speaking of the royal powers, with the absence of William IV's time on the throne and thus a shorter period of laissez-faire royal interference in governing, she'd probably be able to claim a bit more power than Vicky could IOTL.)

Faeelin

Banned
Or not. Maybe. I don't know. Which is why I'm asking you lot. Alternate Congress of Vienna with an Anglo-Dutch union in the cards later - what would this look like?

I'm not sure why people are assuming that the marriage ends with Charlotte dying childless.

Hmm. I think Belgium still ends up part of the Netherlands. No guarantee it's a permanent union, and the motivation is still there. But a king who spends more time in England may affect the Belgian revolt of 1830.

So no Belgium?

I'm not sure why people are assuming that the marriage ends with Charlotte dying childless.

Hmm. I think Belgium still ends up part of the Netherlands. No guarantee it's a permanent union, and the motivation is still there. But a king who spends more time in England may affect the Belgian revolt of 1830.

So no Belgium?

But will the King be more in the UK? Who would be the Monarch of England in this case? Charlotte or Willem?

Last edited:

So no Belgium?

I'm not sure why people think this is the main consequence. The Congress of Vienna was supposed to build a balanced Europe, and a future dynastic union between Britain and NL would surely alter the balances. Just Nappy popping back up IOTL changed stuff, after all...

Faeelin

Banned
I'm not sure why people think this is the main consequence. The Congress of Vienna was supposed to build a balanced Europe, and a future dynastic union between Britain and NL would surely alter the balances. Just Nappy popping back up IOTL changed stuff, after all...

To an extent, but by a significant degree?

Nobody else will take Belgium; Britain won't let theNetherlands end up in the Germanic Confederation, so....

What changes?

To an extent, but by a significant degree?

Nobody else will take Belgium; Britain won't let theNetherlands end up in the Germanic Confederation, so....

What changes?

Long-term, might it lead to more Franco-Spanish cooperation? Given England's long-standing alliance with Portugal, and now with the Netherlands, the two other Atlantic powers might feel bracketed and uneasy...

As for the CoV - I don't know if Austria or Russia would be too agitated, the area in question being removed from their neighborhood. The Prussians might be concerned, but I'm not certain how much they could do about it. Denmark too might be worried, but they don't have a strong bargaining position.

The French might be concerned about two neighbors hooking up, but given the monarchy and government has just been restored by the Brits and the Allies, how much complaining could they do? If anything, if Napoleon's return hadn't happened in OTL, then I would suggest that as the "surprising consequence", with nationalist Frenchmen supporting the return of the great hero against the overly-mighty Britano-Dutch.