Plausibility of Modern Coal Powered Ships and Heaters?

I know of several coal burners near me that once a year hire a trucking firm to haul a fully loaded trailer up from Pennsylvania and they split a 20-30 ton load amongst themselves. Instant stockpile of heating fuel for next few years. The other guys who burn just get a 3-5 ton yearly order from hardware stores, agway, tractor supply etc... Coal is not always shipped loose. They ship it in 50 pounds bags too; all wrapped together on a wooden skid which any delivery operation can handle. In fact, most places (around here at least) that carry wood pellets will also carry coal.

Still, storage of coal at home is a problem for those not living in their own houses.

Still, storage of coal at home is a problem for those not living in their own houses.

You mean a rental? There are plenty of rentals around New England that employ a stove as the primary or auxiliary heat source. Mainly wood around here but why not coal too? My fiance rented a house and had to source her own firewood. The place came with a propane heater too but refilling the propane was cost prohibitive. She heated exclusively with wood during her stay. The landlord provided a wood shed and she filled it with a few cords. A guy I know who lives in Concord (state capital) has a 6 unit apartment building that is heated by coal boiler (with auto feed stoker). He provides heat & hot water to tenants but doesn't pay for a drop of oil or propane. Boiler consumes 7 tons a year and his heating costs are less than 2k a year for this. Pretty low cost to heat a 6 unit in NH. A typical ton of anthracite only needs 33-35 cubic feet of storage per ton so a 7 ton load would fit with room to spare in a wooden bin 8 feet long by 8 feet wide by 4 feet high. Im sure to save thousands a year, a 6 unit could dedicate that storage near the boiler for fuel

Last edited:
You mean a rental? There are plenty of rentals around New England that employ a stove as the primary or auxiliary heat source. Mainly wood around here but why not coal too? My fiance rented a house and had to source her own firewood. The place came with a propane heater too but refilling the propane was cost prohibitive. She heated exclusively with wood during her stay. The landlord provided a wood shed and she filled it with a few cords. A guy I know who lives in Concord (state capital) has a 6 unit apartment building that is heated by coal boiler (with auto feed stoker). He provides heat & hot water to tenants but doesn't pay for a drop of oil or propane. Boiler consumes 7 tons a year and his heating costs are less than 2k a year for this. Pretty low cost to heat a 6 unit in NH. A typical ton of anthracite only needs 33-35 cubic feet of storage per ton so a 7 ton load would fit with room to spare in a wooden bin 8 feet long by 8 feet wide by 4 feet high. Im sure to save thousands a year, a 6 unit could dedicate that storage near the boiler for fuel

Do you have mains gas outside of big cities in the US seems strange that all you guys replying about domestic heating seem to be off the grid.

Do you have mains gas outside of big cities in the US seems strange that all you guys replying about domestic heating seem to be off the grid.

We call it natural gas in the states and its not widely available. Some areas yes, some areas no. Typically in areas of higher population density the utility runs the lines to reach as many houses/buildings as possible. In the absence of gas, oil or propane are common options.

We call it natural gas in the states and its not widely available. Some areas yes, some areas no. Typically in areas of higher population density the utility runs the lines to reach as many houses/buildings as possible. In the absence of gas, oil or propane are common options.

Got you thanks, I am surprised I expected more homes in North America would use Natural gas central heating though the sheer size and cost of a Gas distributon grid would be horrendously expensive. In Britain around 3% of houses use Solid fuel, 7% Oil, 5% Propane gas, 20% electricity and the rest Natural Gas, though the figures are from 5 years ago.

And coal decomposes in big piles, unless stirred, will get hotspots and even fires

Not really a concern for commercial or homeowner situation. Some coals are prone to spontaneous combustion but these are typically younger coals (lignite, sub-bituminous coals) or coals with a high volatile content; these coals are not typically burned for space heating. Anthracite does not oxidize/degrade like that when exposed to the atmosphere and has almost no volatiles. Even so, you need quite a pile along the sizes typically found in coal storage bunkers (thousands of tons) to accumulate the necessary heat to start a fire.