Plausibility Check: Dominion of Dominica?

Had an idea last night, wanted to flesh it out and see what you guys think.

Let's first Posit a Southern victory in the American Civil War. Lee's orders aren't lost at Antietam, Stuart doesn't go off on his own at Gettysburg, take your pick.

Now a great deal of thought has gone into what the world would be like had the South won, but the Caribbean has been pretty much ignored. This scenario centers around the fate of the Dominican Republic, who under the leadership of Buenaventura Baez made a very serious plea to the USA for annexation in 1869/1870.

Now in this scenario Baez doesn't have an option in the US, both the USA and the CSA are unwilling to make the sale (The CSA having very little money due to the costs of the war). So let's say he turns his efforts elsewhere to Great Britain.

Would Britain accept the offer? Would it work out? Thoughts?

I'd think it fairly unlikely since they were pretty big supporters of the Monroe Doctrine. By the 1860s they had all the property they needed in the area and were much more happy to simply have open markets they could trade in rather than more colonies which would cost money to operate. Unless the CSA was behaving extremely obnoxiously or a country that the UK really didn't like looked as though they might take over, I'm struggling to come up with a country that would be both rich and powerful enough to be attractive to Baez and the UK would find objectionable enough, they wouldn't be bothered IMHO.

Glen

Had an idea last night, wanted to flesh it out and see what you guys think.

Let's first Posit a Southern victory in the American Civil War. Lee's orders aren't lost at Antietam, Stuart doesn't go off on his own at Gettysburg, take your pick.

Now a great deal of thought has gone into what the world would be like had the South won, but the Caribbean has been pretty much ignored. This scenario centers around the fate of the Dominican Republic, who under the leadership of Buenaventura Baez made a very serious plea to the USA for annexation in 1869/1870.

Now in this scenario Baez doesn't have an option in the US, both the USA and the CSA are unwilling to make the sale (The CSA having very little money due to the costs of the war). So let's say he turns his efforts elsewhere to Great Britain.

Would Britain accept the offer? Would it work out? Thoughts?

I'd think it fairly unlikely since they were pretty big supporters of the Monroe Doctrine. By the 1860s they had all the property they needed in the area and were much more happy to simply have open markets they could trade in rather than more colonies which would cost money to operate. Unless the CSA was behaving extremely obnoxiously or a country that the UK really didn't like looked as though they might take over, I'm struggling to come up with a country that would be both rich and powerful enough to be attractive to Baez and the UK would find objectionable enough, they wouldn't be bothered IMHO.

The CSA would probably annex. Don't need money, just a willingness to assume their debt. Britain probably wouldn't object.

Pity Haiti!:eek::eek::eek: