Philosophy without Fascism or Cross-European War

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Those people understand each other very well within their groups: an astronomer understands another astronomer well, and an astrologist another astrologist; but between groups—like between an astrologist and an astronomer—there is usually no understanding.
That's reasonable. In other places, I think Fleck might overstate in an attempt to jar people loose and get them to see what he's driving at. I guess that's okay, too. But all in all, I think I generally agree with his theory.

But he does not extend it to the dynamic aspect of how things can and do change like Thomas Kuhn does.

Last edited:
I might end of doing this TL later, turns out my philosophy prof loves history of philosophy and even a little alternate history. So I have an expert consultant. :D

Let's say Fascism didn't appear, Mussolini just blew it really early on or is otherwise put down, the major left and centre-left parties are able to beat whichever far right groups emerge in Germany into submission, Spain may or may not be a military dictatorship. You can have a major war if you like, perhaps the Soviets decide to advance on Eastern Europe, but they do not take Berlin or anywhere west of there.

In our timeline, perhaps the greatest single event for philosophy in the previous century was WW2. The Vienna/Berlin Circle and the Frankfurt School (though very heavily defined by its opposition to Fascism in OTL) fled or were captured by the Nazis, Giovanni Gentile (Hegelian) and Heidegger (Existentialist) were some of the world's foremost philosophers and Fascists (who either are forgotten because of it or tarnished by it), philosophers such as Levinas, Sartre, Frankl, and many other great thinkers suffered greatly under Nazi rule.

Many more philosophers were greatly affected by the horrendous crimes committed by Fascism, so much of Hannah Arendt's writings can be traced to a watchful eye for totalitarianism, Camus as well among others.

What might we see without Fascism taking over a continent?

Critical Theory (Adorno,Habermas etc.) might be more marginalized, it might not even develope without WW1.

Critical Theory (Adorno,Habermas etc.) might be more marginalized, it might not even develope without WW1.

WW1 still exists in this TL, just not WW2 on a truly global scale. The Frankfurt School would likely still exist in a very unrecognizable form so critical theory would at least exist though it is unlikely to have the same following.