"Phil won't leave his room" - A Doctor Who Production History

1.when will the plot breakdown of the TV movie be released?
2.who plays ITTL Yates?
3.will the master be involved in TTLs TV movie, or is he permanently dead after the six doctors?
4.who would be the most popular companion?
5.would the reaction to the 1996 American series be good or bad?
6.what would be considered the best episodes of doctor who and what would be the worst episodes of doctor who?
7.would there be not my doctor type fans in 2003 when the first female doctor debuts, or would the reaction be different to OTL?

1. When it's finished. I've handed it off to someone else to "pollute and dilute" to give it that "compromized by network TV" feel.
2. Ray Lonnen as outlined in Part Two
3. He's dead. He appears in development documents but ITTL, that idea gets shot down.
4. Jo or Kay, there's something classically "young woman asking questions" about them. They're archetypal.
5. That'll be in Part 33 or 34. It's already written.
6. The 70s are seen as the golden age. The Fifth Doctor's era is seen as a little dry and esoteric. The Sixth Doctor was huge in his time, but he's now seen as not having very many really classic, memorable stories.
7. The female Doctor is in 1998. There's a pushback, but because there's never been a long Wilderness Years, there's a certain lack of intensity in a lot of fandom. Also, social media is just beginning to be a thing and it's not in a position for big hashtag campaigns. The internet is a few years ahead of OTL, because of David Owen's "Programme for Change" investing a bit more in a digital infrastructure, followed in the US by President Gore in the late-80s, early-90s.

I've gone back and changed the 2003 revival to a 2004 revival to make room for a slightly controversial and oddball 40th anniversary special.

RTlist.jpg

It is. It's frippery on my part, explained by the German buyer wanting a title to differentiate it from just a showing of Doctor Who. It's just Doctor Who in the US.

The next part might be the TVM plot or it might be a short obit for Jon Pertwee which will introduce a reference to a film franchise that hasn't been mentioned yet. The part dealing with the fallout of the TVM and US series is written and the part on "The Wilderness Year" is half written.

Actually, only yesterday we had a couple of breakthroughs on plot points and putting in something that doesn't quite make sense. The latter is because I don't want to go completely "best case scenario" on the TVM. For some reason, that doesn't feel like pukka alternate history. Because we're dealing with something with a distinct way of doing things entering the arena of US network TV, I want to spoil it a little. It's coming along, but I don't want to push my collaborator around.

By the way, I've put my Doctor Who Photoshops and others in this Deviant Art gallery.

Had another idea for a Delgado role. How about he plays Ramírez in Highlander? As much as I like Connery in the part, Delgado really would be better suited, what with actually being of Spanish heritage and all.

I have no problem with that (I've never seen the film), with the caveat that Delgado is 12 years older than Connery.

Is Delgado really as physically equipped to play Ramirez as Connery was? I'm not really sure I would buy that, it might require a rewrite of the role.

Just a thought, if Roger is still alive ITTL 84 to 86 (he would be 66 to 68) he would make a better William of Baskerville than Sean Connery in the Name of the Rose (and Connery WAS good).

Is Delgado really as physically equipped to play Ramirez as Connery was? I'm not really sure I would buy that, it might require a rewrite of the role.
His aged, physically frailer form could be used to good effect and help subvert audience expectations. Doubles could be used for the riding and fighting. The sword duels could be shot closer up to obscure his face, and thus make use of stuntmen. And from memory his role was quite brief anyway.
Just a thought, if Roger is still alive ITTL 84 to 86 (he would be 66 to 68) he would make a better William of Baskerville than Sean Connery in the Name of the Rose (and Connery WAS good).
From the little I've seen of the film, he would be quite perfect.

I don't know if I'll ever get around to it, but later Zorro things are probably butterflied (and it breaks my heart as I have an unreasonable love of 90s Zorro). As alluded to earlier, The Legend Of The Lone Ranger has been a success in this timeline thanks to Lew Grade having less to worry about re:ATV. What's more likely is a early/mid 80s Zorro film with Roger as Don Alejandro de la Vega.

Part 32 - The TV Movie Part 1
"So, a special sneak-peek at the new blu-ray, this is the first public screening of the TV movie in HD.

A couple of things to go over. I've seen a copy of the script and it's a different colour of paper every few pages. I once drew a diagram of which scene belongs to which draft of which writer's vision. I was trying to devise a drinking game, but decided it wasn't worth it.

"Anyway, for those of you who've never seen this before. It might get confusing in places because a scene from one draft made it to the screen, but the explanation got cut when another scene got switched for a different draft. There's one bit that'll really have you scratching your heads. There isn't actually an explanation for it. Someone just misunderstood how things work and no-one did anything about it.

"Enjoy!"

- Andrew Barbicane, convention appearance, 2016

Pre-Credits

The film starts with darkly lit establishing shots of Los Angeles at night set to a dramatic keyboard score. A shadowy male figure is making his way through the streets seemingly on a mission. Following him at a distance is The Doctor (Tony Haygarth). The figure walks into a run down convenience store. The Doctor slips in behind him. The figure is wandering around as if inebriated and raises a weapon, causing The Doctor to scream "DON'T DO IT!"

The film cuts to Det. Hendrie (Robert Bockstael), a middle-aged cop, and his partner Kate Montez (Leah Remini) taking an eyewitness report on a recent flashing incident in what appears to be the same seedy neighborhood. Hendrie spots a flash of light and hears an unearthly sound from a nearby street. The concerned officer tells Kate to keep an eye on things while he investigates the flash. Hendrie arrives at the convenience store to find everyone unconscious and one man dead. Outside on the pavement is The Doctor, apparently having been thrown through the window. Hendrie uses his radio to report what's he's found.

The denizens of the store are waking up, but Hendrie has persuaded them to stay where they are. He pops out to take one more look at the body. Hendrie takes a closer look as the body starts glowing bright lights. Hendrie is holding the body's arm. He screams as the light blocks out the screen.

A panicked Kate arrives moments later to join her partner, who is worried he might have been blinded by the light coming from the body. Montez surveys the scene, weapon drawn. The people inside the store are huddled up, scared by the scream. Hendrie tells Kate about the dead man glowing. There are two extremely weird things to account for: The body has gone, and Hendrie appears to be ten years younger.

PicPart32a.jpg

Post-Credits

The following day Kate returns to the scene, having not slept well. She discusses with CSI whether the case is homicide, as the body is missing. Walking into the shop, Kate initially thinks she's alone. It becomes aware there's someone else there when Kate looks up and spots a man wearing a white pinstripe suit and gaudy paisley scarf. This is The Doctor (Nathan Lane). He's focused intently on an electronic device in his hand. At first Kate thinks he can't see her, but he begins to speak to her without looking up from his device. "Tell Hendrie I'm sorry for running out on him like that but I was trying to follow my assailant." He pulls out a pocket watch with his free hand. "His sight will have come back about an hour ago."
"Who are you."
"I suppose I'm a witness. As soon as I know enough, I'll let you know."
"You are not supposed to be here!"
"I think you're right. But I don't know where else I can be. I'm hoping I can find out before it's too late."
"Look, come with me to headquarters and we can talk about what you saw."
"I'll call you." The Doctor walks out of the shop. Kate runs outside and asks where the man in the white suit went. Nobody seems to have seen anything.

Montez returns to her precinct to find two men in black suits claiming to be government agents at her desk. She is informed that the incident is now a federal case and that Police Captain Reynolds (R.D. Reid) has handed over the files. Kate looks through the window into Capt. Reynolds’ office. He shakes his head. Kate sits at her desk and rubs her eyes. When she opens them again, The Doctor is sitting opposite her. "Are you some kind of hallucination?"
"I don't think so. If I am, could you hallucinate me a more comfortable chair?"
"No-one saw you leave the convenience store."
"A cheap conjuring trick, no use in a real emergency. Someone is running around this city with a projected energy weapon."
"A what?"
"A gun that fires energy instead of bullets.”
“You mean a ray gun?”
“Well, if you must use such gauche terms, I suppose so, but it does rather make this sound like a children’s game, when we’re dealing with something deadly serious.”
“Ray guns don’t exist.”
“True, at least not yet. Someone is going around shooting people with something that should not exist at this time. I know it sounds crazy and believe me, I was hoping to find a non-crazy-sounding explanation."
Kate looks at him doubtfully, maybe being taken off the case is a blessing.
"It's not my case anymore, take it up with the feds."
"I don't trust them, Kate, I trust you."
Kate looks at The Doctor like he might be worth listening to. The Doctor cranes his neck to look in the office of Capt. Reynolds. Reynolds is looking straight back at The Doctor. The Doctor leans towards Kate and murmurs.
"This isn't the place to discuss things. As soon as you can get out, meet me in the police phone box on the corner of Mountjoy and Vardon."
"Police phone box? We don't really use those anymore, and anyhow there isn't one on Mountjoy and Vardon. I can't meet you at a box that isn't there."
"Not at, in. You won't be able to miss it."

Some time has passed and in a strange, futuristic looking room, The Doctor is flicking switches on a six-sided console. He gazes at a large screen showing a map of LA with pulsing red dots overlaid. He looks down at a smaller screen on the console. The TV news is showing a story of a missing man, in fact his previous body. He pauses the broadcast and looks sadly at the extremely accurate sketch of his old self. Flashback to the convenience store. The old Doctor pleading with the man with the gun. The Doctor's body flying through the window. Hendrie crouching over the body. The Doctor glowing and glow fading to show the new Doctor. The Doctor clambering to his feet looking at Hendrie and deciding to leave him and go after the man who shot him.

Kate parks her car and makes her way to the corner of Mountjoy and Vardon. Sure enough, there is the large, blue and unusual form of a British Police Box. Kate walks around it and then gingerly places a hand against one of the doors. There's a gentle, mechanical click and the door swings open. She pushes it and peers in. The box appears to be empty and the back wall appears to be white stone, patterned with huge circles. There's another, deeper mechanical sound, and the wall splits in two and swings away. It's not a wall, it's a pair of doors, behind which is a huge, futuristic room. In the middle is a hexagonal console, off in a corner tinkering with a coffee-maker is The Doctor.

The Doctor is excited to see an increasingly confused Kate. He has to explain the TARDIS to her but the full strangeness of the situation is clearly overwhelming her. Kate lets out a scream that lasts for a full seven seconds. The Doctor looks at his coffee machine, "I'll give you decaf".
Kate runs to the doors, but they're closed.
"What have you done to me?"
The Doctor flips a switch and the inner doors open.

PicPart32b.jpg

"Kate, I haven't *done* anything to you. If you want to go the outer doors are right there and open normally, but I'd really rather you sit down, drink this and I'll explain."
Kate sits nervously at one of the seats around the console. The Doctor has put Kate's coffee, and a plate full of biscotti on a small tea trolley that he has wheeled up next to her.
The Doctor tells Kate that he’s been investigating these ray gun shootings, and believes that there might be something connecting them.
“What, you mean besides them all having been shot with ray guns?”
The Doctor sighs. “I was forgetting that you work for the LAPD. Such a narrow view of things. Why you can’t all be like that Italian lieutenant I used to know... what on Earth was his name? Well, anyway, yes they’ve all been shot with, as you put it, ‘ray guns’, but why these particular people, in these particular places, and why with such an ostentatious weapon when had they instead been shot with a normal projectile weapon hardly anyone would have batted an eyelid.”
“I would have.”
The Doctor looks at her for a second. “Yes... yes, I rather think you would, at that.”
“So what do you think the connection is?”
The Doctor grins. “Let’s find out, shall we?”

The Doctor flips a switch on the TARDIS console and the large screen runs through hundreds of maps in a fraction of a second before stopping on one. The Doctor flips another switch and the TARDIS starts making an unearthly grinding noise. He turns to Kate, gives a sly, little smile and asks Kate if she's interested in history. Kate catches a glimpse of herself in a mirror to see her hair and clothes have changed to that of a 1920's flapper. Kate asks what is going on. The doors open and she realizes she has traveled back in time. The Doctor goes to a newspaper stand and, after searching through a coin purse and revealing the presence of many different alien coins, buys a paper for two cents. Flipping through the paper, the Doctor finally hits upon the story he's looking for. The Inglewood earthquake, July 1920. Later on, The Doctor and Kate have travelled out to Inglewood to look around. The Doctor checks a handheld device and says that there's a distinct energy signature, just like the TARDIS showed him. The earthquake wasn't natural, there was some sort of landing here. On returning to the TARDIS, Kate is shocked to find her hair and clothes have changed back. She's almost just as shocked that the Doctor's haven't, but when asked, he's incredulous at the idea that he'd want to change such a stylish ensemble.

The TARDIS has arrived back at the corner of Mountjoy and Vardon. Kate is not amused to find that several hours have passed, but The Doctor tells her the TARDIS is a bit temperamental. Kate gets back to her car to be accosted by the feds she saw at her desk earlier.

TO BE CONTINUED

The version of the TARDIS seen above is from Rob Semenoff's Who 3D site and is used under a Creative Commons 3.0 Licence (non-commercial, attribution, share-alike).

Last edited:
Decent movie so far. Shame Tony does not get much to do so far but be a victim.

Maybe more flashbacks will give him some more screen time.

I've actually put some effort into making this plot confused and a bit unsatisfying. My thanks to markedward and Andrew Hickey, who I encouraged to rewrite bits to mix things up. It strikes me as a realistic outcome after the course-correction away from the Leekley Bible. Unlike OTL, there isn't as much lore to get stuck to the concept and the network is more motivated for the pilot to succeed.