While Pedro I, first emperor of Brazil, had many mistresses during his life, his most famous and scandalous relationship was with Domitila de Castro, who quickly rose through the ranks of the court and was eventually given the title of Marchioness of Santos. As if the openness of their affair wasn't enough of a humiliation to empress Maria Leopoldina, Pedro made Domitila her lady-in-waiting and legitimized the daughters he had with her.

The emperor's awful treatment of Leopoldina, besides seriously hurting his image at home (she was very popular), caused an international scandal, and after her early death he had to wait for more than two years to marry again because most European royal houses refused to offer him any potential candidates.

So what if Pedro never met Domitila, for whatever reason? While he will probably keep having parallel relationships, I don't think it's a given he'd elevate one particular mistress as much as he did with Domitila IOTL. Hopefully this means Leopoldina lives longer ITTL, since the affair caused her to fall into a depression and almost certainly contributed to her death at the age of 26.

How more popular could Pedro be ITTL and, assuming he's still forced to abdicate, how could Leopoldina's survival affect the Regency period? One thing's for sure, Pedro II will have a very different (and hopefully better) childhood.

In the case Brazil goes through a regency, would the post of regent be immediately given to Leopoldina, or would there be an election like IOTL?

While depression/stress/anxiety can have strong effects on the body, I don't buy into the notion of 'died from a broken heart' or death from lack of a will to live. But, it is possible, with daily routines affected, she may have different pregnancies, travels, etc. Perhaps the famous assault on her by Pedro (which may, or may not, have happened) would not occur. Bottom line is that she may, indeed, live on.

Since she had a political voice, she may have acted as a moderating council for Pedro, so perhaps he is not so impetuous, stays on as Emperor of Brazil. This would likely mean Miguel ends up as King of Portugal. Or, he may leave her as Regent while he goes off on his adventure of regaining the Portuguese throne for his daughter. She acted as Regent on several occasions while Pedro was out of town. Or, she might join him on his Portuguese adventure, leaving Brazil pretty much as OTL.

Pedro chose to abdicate, although he was facing pressures on his reign. IF his relationship with Leopoldina isn't so fractured that she has no voice, I don't think it is automatic that the last few years of his reign go the same, or that he abdicates. He's still likely to be a lackluster Emperor, so Leopoldina living isn't going to make Brazil a garden of roses. Or, she may end up with no voice at all, and Pedro still bungles things as OTL.

While depression/stress/anxiety can have strong effects on the body, I don't buy into the notion of 'died from a broken heart' or death from lack of a will to live. But, it is possible, with daily routines affected, she may have different pregnancies, travels, etc. Perhaps the famous assault on her by Pedro (which may, or may not, have happened) would not occur. Bottom line is that she may, indeed, live on.
I could see Leopoldina having a healthier constitution if her mental state is better. As for what caused her death, from what I've read the most likely cause was sepsis from her last pregnancy, since her exhumed remains had no fractures.

Pedro chose to abdicate, although he was facing pressures on his reign. IF his relationship with Leopoldina isn't so fractured that she has no voice, I don't think it is automatic that the last few years of his reign go the same, or that he abdicates. He's still likely to be a lackluster Emperor, so Leopoldina living isn't going to make Brazil a garden of roses. Or, she may end up with no voice at all, and Pedro still bungles things as OTL.
The regency period was an utter dumpster fire, so it's hard to imagine things being worse. A central authority backed with royal blood instead of just political machinations might mean less revolts break out.

If the Empress ends up regent, I suspect the Regencial Period will be better.

Cabanagem was inevitable due to how the Adhesion of Pará to Brazil went, so that will still happen TTL. I don't know if the Farroupilha and the other big regencial revolts are in the same boat.

Dom Pedro II will also have a better life, having his mother on-hand. He will be a happier young man.
His mother will also be better positioned to find a good match for him, he practically got swindled OTL.

His mother will also be better positioned to find a good match for him, he practically got swindled OTL.
Could you expand on this? It was, perhaps, a bad match, but that is just the luck of the draw when dealing with a blind royal marriage. Looks and personality mean less than status/politics. In this case, it probably came down to taking any princess willing to make the journey. Brazil was a colony on the decline, pretending to be a country. Doubtful he's doing any better under OTL conditions. Now, if Brazil is guided to a better start, there might be more options available.

Hadnt commented this before because I didnt see Vini post it nor is there any warning box here so I assume its still safe to comment
I don't know if the Farroupilha and the other big regencial revolts are in the same boat.
I think Farroupilha is easily avoidable
It only happened because the state stupidly kept high taxes over the southern products while buying from Argentina at a low price, strangling the economy of the South and the rest of the country in the process
Any administration less incompetently insane would do better than that
Could you expand on this? It was, perhaps, a bad match, but that is just the luck of the draw when dealing with a blind royal marriage. Looks and personality mean less than status/politics. In this case, it probably came down to taking any princess willing to make the journey. Brazil was a colony on the decline, pretending to be a country. Doubtful he's doing any better under OTL conditions. Now, if Brazil is guided to a better start, there might be more options available.
I think NOT taking a european princess would actually be a lot better for Pedro
If his mom respects his desires to not marry at that point, as he was reluctant even with the embellished portrait given to him, I think whatever marriage he engages next would be a lot more stable
Perhaps he even rolls a six and gets to marry the Countess of Barral in absence of royalty competition