PC: Bavaria Swapped for the Austrian Netherlands, 1740-1745

Would Felipe get Parma here? Or might Maria Theresia be "happier" with her husband getting Bavaria in exchange for Tuscany?
pretty likely who the rest will stay the same so Tuscany will remain to Francis Stephen and Felipe will receive Parma, who was ruled by his maternal family...

pretty likely who the rest will stay the same so Tuscany will remain to Francis Stephen and Felipe will receive Parma, who was ruled by his maternal family...

Fair enough. Was just a thought that perhaps someone (Prussia? France?) has an objection to Austria's powerbase expanding, so feels the need to "trim back".

Fair enough. Was just a thought that perhaps someone (Prussia? France?) has an objection to Austria's powerbase expanding, so feels the need to "trim back".
They had already just lost one of their richer lands (Austrian Netherlands) and another rich strategical province (Silesia) and Tuscany was a compensation for Francis’ loss of Lorraine just few years earlier

Last edited:
They had already just lost one of their richer lands (Austrian Netherlands) and another rich strategical province (Silesia) and Tuscany was a compensation for Francis’ loss of Lorraine just few years earlier

IIRC, by the 18th century - thanks to the forced Anglo-Dutch suppression of the Ostend Company, the Austrian Netherlands were more a sink than anything else. It'll be up to Max and the Wittelsbachs to see if they can do anything about it.

Perhaps they can try to gain Margraviate of Verona aka the Italian parts of the Republic of Venice

With Bavaria taken, would Maria Theresa be as willing to accept the loss of Silesia?

Are the Wittelsbach Netherlands raised to the dignity of an electorate and Bavaria's vote suspended to maintain the odd number of electors? If not what other arrangement could be figured out?

Does anyone know how many princely votes Bavaria had in the Reichstag? It's my understanding that Prussia was able to combine its own votes with those of its allies to prevent Austria from sequestrating the territories of the electorate of Brandenburg at the outset of the 7 years war- of course the war itself is butterflied but I don't think it's a stretch that Frederick will at some point breach the public peace and give grounds for his land to be sequestered, and if Austria has more votes it's possible she'll be able to push it through.

With Bavaria taken, would Maria Theresa be as willing to accept the loss of Silesia?
All My gut say is...Maybe.

Are the Wittelsbach Netherlands raised to the dignity of an electorate and Bavaria's vote suspended to maintain the odd number of electors? If not what other arrangement could be figured out?
Technically they still have their Elector Palatine vote, just moved geographically so not need.

Does anyone know how many princely votes Bavaria had in the Reichstag? It's my understanding that Prussia was able to combine its own votes with those of its allies to prevent Austria from sequestrating the territories of the electorate of Brandenburg at the outset of the 7 years war- of course the war itself is butterflied but I don't think it's a stretch that Frederick will at some point breach the public peace and give grounds for his land to be sequestered, and if Austria has more votes it's possible she'll be able to push it through.
Well, everything can happen with Maria Theresia and Silesia... Pretty likely who Bavaria will not keep its electorate here... Max maybe will have the Netherlands elevated as Kingdom but will not keep his electorate... Bavarian‘s vote will be reunited with the one of Palatinate and that maybe will require the creation of a new electorate

Max maybe will have the Netherlands elevated as Kingdom but will not keep his electorate...

A name would be interesting. Kingdom of Brabant or Flanders sounds weird. AIUI, Maria Theresia's agreement didn't include Luxemburg. Calling it the Netherlands or Lotharingia might be problematic, no?

In contrast to @Nivek, my speculation is no. Maria Theresia saw Silesia as a definitive part of the Habsburg lands, "stolen" by Prussia. Bavaria is a "fair trade" - in essence.

Will look into this. But I wonder if Friedrich will calmly sit back (in 1745) and watch Austria expand its influence and boot out a rival. After all, he didn't in 1777 when a similar agreement was reached. Only difference here is that Europe's just had four years of war already (and granted, they still fought for another three OTL), one does wonder if it will not lead to issues similar to the OTL War of the Bavarian Succession.

A name would be interesting. Kingdom of Brabant or Flanders sounds weird. AIUI, Maria Theresia's agreement didn't include Luxemburg. Calling it the Netherlands or Lotharingia might be problematic, no?
Lotharingia is out of question, so either Grand Duchy of Flanders and/or Brabant or Kingdom of the Netherlands...

In contrast to @Nivek, my speculation is no. Maria Theresia saw Silesia as a definitive part of the Habsburg lands, "stolen" by Prussia. Bavaria is a "fair trade" - in essence.

Will look into this. But I wonder if Friedrich will calmly sit back (in 1745) and watch Austria expand its influence and boot out a rival. After all, he didn't in 1777 when a similar agreement was reached. Only difference here is that Europe's just had four years of war already (and granted, they still fought for another three OTL), one does wonder if it will not lead to issues similar to the OTL War of the Bavarian Succession.
Well Frederick has just received what he wanted (aka Silesia) and Maria Theresia was not happy at all about it so...
A rematch some years later is pretty much guaranteed under any scenario...
I guess Joseph II here will remarry to either Maria Kunigunde of Saxony or her sisters Maria Christina (born 1735) or Maria Elisabeth (born 1536) as Maria Josepha will be out of consideration (I guess she will marry the Margrave of Baden-Baden as Maria Anna Josepha marrying their Saxon cousin)

Last edited:
Burgundy, french might not liked but that is how named, or for extra trollish..Belgium?
No, Burgundy is out of question as that lands would not be part of the Kingdoms... The right name for a Kingdom is Netherlands, at the worst Southern Netherlands, or the best alternative is Grand Duchy of Flanders and Brabant...

VVD0D95

Banned
No, Burgundy is out of question as that lands would not be part of the Kingdoms... The right name for a Kingdom is Netherlands, at the worst Southern Netherlands, or the best alternative is Grand Duchy of Flanders and Brabant...
So maxi would be either king of the Netherlands (the Dutch will find that fun aha) followed by grand duke of Flanders and Brabant

So maxi would be either king of the Netherlands (the Dutch will find that fun aha) followed by grand duke of Flanders and Brabant

Considering that the Dutch call themselves the United Provinces of the Netherlands (when they're missing the provinces of the south - Hainaut, Artois, Flanders, Brabant, Luxemburg etc) I don't think they've really got room to talk

My other question is how Maria Theresia/Habsburg rule would be received in Bavaria? Didn't Karl VI hand the place back because it was sort of in constant rebellion during the previous Habsburg occupation in the War of the Spanish Succession?

Considering that the Dutch call themselves the United Provinces of the Netherlands (when they're missing the provinces of the south - Hainaut, Artois, Flanders, Brabant, Luxemburg etc) I don't think they've really got room to talk

Why not the Kingdom of Lotharingia? After all they do control the...Middle...something part of the original Kingdom.