PC: Annother FDR with no 22nd amendment

So assuming the 22nd Amendment doesn’t pass, could there be a president who gets elected to at least 4 terms? Could Eisenhower run until his death? Could Reagan win earlier than 1980 to get at least 4 terms? Was there ever a possibility of a 5 term Nixon? Could Bill Clinton serve until 2009? Or could there be presidents who continue Wsshington’s tradition?

Eisenhower could run for a third term, but wouldn't run for a fourth given his health. Reagan successfully running any earlier than 1980 (with '76 as the most likely time) is actually a poisoned apple as he gets the blame for the economy and Iran rather than Jimmy Carter. Nixon is a distinct possibility if he wins in 1960, which is possible if information about one of JFK's affairs is leaked somehow or if JFK's health is worse. I could see him winning in '64, '68 and '72. As far as Clinton's concerned, he could beat Bush in 2000 despite the Lewinsky scandal and other issues, but 9/11 is likely to do him in IMHO. Long story short, Nixon (oh the irony) is the most likely candidate for a four term President post-FDR, assuming no shenanigans like Watergate.

Last edited:

kernals12

Banned
The fact the 22nd amendment got ratified in the first place is a demonstration of how deeply engrained the 2-term norm was. And FDR probably would've stuck to it if it wasn't for the war. I think everyone else would've held themselves to 8 years.

Eisenhower could run for a third term, but wouldn't run for a fourth given his health. Reagan successfully running any earlier than 1980 (with '76 as the most likely time) is actually a poisoned apple as he gets the blame for the economy and Iran rather than Jimmy Carter. Nixon is a distinct possibility if he wins in 1960, which is possible if information about one of JFK's affairs is leaked somehow or if JFK's health is worse. I could see him winning in '64, '68 and '72. As far as Clinton's concerned, he could beat Bush in 2000 despite the Lewinsky scandal and other issues, but 9/11 is likely to do him in IMHO. Long story short, Nixon (oh the irony) is the most likely candidate for a four term President post-FDR, assuming no shenanigans like Watergate.

Bush's presiding over 9/11 helped him win reelection did it not? I'd always heard that him being a "wartime" president was what won him reelection in '04. Obviously a lot depends on how a hypothetical third-term Clinton handles the events, but if he does it right, couldn't it in fact boost him with undecided, national security focused independents in '04?

That's just stupid.
Moore wanted to use the crook Nixon as an allegory for Reagan, without explicitly using Reagan as an example of someone he didn't like. Overall, it's about as realistic as can be expected from a graphic novel about near-dystopian super-heroes and a giant telepathic squid monster written by an Anarchist.

Moore wanted to use the crook Nixon as an allegory for Reagan, without explicitly using Reagan as an example of someone he didn't like. Overall, it's about as realistic as can be expected from a graphic novel about near-dystopian super-heroes and a giant telepathic squid monster written by an Anarchist.

He might as well have just used Reagan, as Frank Miller did in "The Dark Knight Returns." (Ah man, I can't believe I actually just used Frank Miller of all people as a positive comparison....)

Anyway, back to the main point of the thread. I think Eisenhower only would've run if he felt he really had to in 1960. Otherwise at the age of seventy he would retire, even though he'd easily crush any opponent in 1960. The next President after him who could've gone for it was Reagan, but again at 76 and with Alzheimer's bearing down on his ability to govern I don't think Reagan would do it. He would win a third term if he went for it however, but not by as great a margin as in 1980 or 1984. After that there's Clinton. On the one hand he is tainted by scandal, on the other hand he had high job approvals and the economy was strong in 2000. Not to mention that he just loved being President. I think he could've won in 2000 and maybe even 2004, but like FDR he would win by closer margins than his first two campaigns.

Bush's presiding over 9/11 helped him win reelection did it not? I'd always heard that him being a "wartime" president was what won him reelection in '04. Obviously a lot depends on how a hypothetical third-term Clinton handles the events, but if he does it right, couldn't it in fact boost him with undecided, national security focused independents in '04?

Dunno, the combination of infidelity scandals (there had been known others before Lewinsky) and 9/11 could be fatal. He'd have to handle 9/11 very, very well to win '04 IMHO, even if only because people are going to be a little tired of the Democrats after having one in the White House for twelve years.

Well he also tried running in ‘68, and if Nixon lost ‘68 I could see him running in ‘72. And it’s not impossible for him to win in ‘68.

Fair enough.

I doubt that any president after FDR would seek even third term without very good reason. Even FDR run only because of WW2. And it is possible that he would had resigned soon after the war if he would had lived long enough. And fourth or even fifth term is very implausible. Such person would need good reason doing that and him should be very very popular and it would be hard many post-FDR president. And speciality currently due toxic climate of US politics third term would be impossible. Such president just would be accused as powerhungry person.

Dunno, the combination of infidelity scandals (there had been known others before Lewinsky) and 9/11 could be fatal. He'd have to handle 9/11 very, very well to win '04 IMHO, even if only because people are going to be a little tired of the Democrats after having one in the White House for twelve years.
Bill was popular when he left office, even with the scandals. Maybe if he decided to get into iraq he might loose, but I don’t think fatigue would apply to Clinton until the Great Recession. If he lost in 2004, and Hillary still became a senator there would be calls for her to run in 2008 since people don’t usually want someone who lost re-election to run again.

I doubt that any president after FDR would seek even third term without very good reason.
I mean. As mentioned Bill Clinton would have ran:
FWIW, here's an excerpt from a 2000 interview that Bill Clinton gave for Rolling Stone:

Q: If there wasn't the Twenty-second Amendment, would you run again?
A: Oh, I probably would have run again.

Q: Do you think you would have won?
A: Yes. I do. But it's hard to say, because it's entirely academic.

Here's the link for anyone interested: https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...nton-the-rolling-stone-interview-2-40256/amp/
and Reagan wanted to reverse the 22nd amendment. https://www.nytimes.com/1987/11/29/us/reagan-wants-end-of-two-term-limit.html
So I think if everything turned out the same he would probably try to get a third term in 1988.

Not way that Reagan would run in 1988. He was already going senile due Alzheimer. IIRC he was nearby removed from office due signs of dementia.
The people who considered removing him decided against it because they belived he could still serve though. You could see reagan’s Cabinet gain more control over policies until he leaves office by 1993, or is removed as what was considered) but I believe Reagan was ambitious and that he would win in ‘88 if he only had 2 terms before hand even with Iran contra. BUT, if Reagan had say won in ‘68, and was elected to say 5 terms I don’t know why he would want to get a 6th.
https://timeline.com/25th-amendement-ronald-reagan-451fba814c78 “Afterwards, the observers unanimously registered the same conclusion — Reagan was attentive, alert and witty — and Baker considered the matter closed.”

If Reagan is in better health and doesn't get Alzheimer's, I can see him running and even getting a third term but that'd be it because even if he's in great shape, eighty is pushing it. Clinton and Obama could probably run for a third term. I can't really think anyone running for a fourth term, I'm pretty sure the only reason FDR dared was because of WWII

the only possible for termer I could see would be Richard Nixon if he was smart enough to avoid Watergate. Obama might have actually have been able to do go for a third term, so could Bill Clinton.