Paul McCartney not busted - could it have saved John Lennon?

Here's a thought that hasn't occurred to me in the past, for you Beatle fans:

In January 1980, Paul McCartney was notoriously arrested entering Japan with marijuana at the start of what was supposed to be a Wings tour. After spending about a week in jail, he was ultimately released and went home. The tour was of course canceled. (And no, I don't buy the conspiracy theory that Yoko Ono ratted him out.)

The original intention had been for 1980 to be a "big year" for Paul - after the Japanese tour, Paul probably would have done a series of tours worldwide, including the United States and Europe. So let's say Paul decides to leave the weed at home, and the tours progress as intended.

John Lennon was ready to make his comeback that year, and in fact did so, which led to his assassination on December 8. But Paul hadn't been particularly busy in 1980, although he did release McCartney II. If Paul was doing a "big year" - touring and the like - it's possible that the rivalry-love relationship Lennon and McCartney had may have spurred John into not wanting to step into Paul's shadow, as it were - John would have wanted the attention all to himself. So in this scenario, he might decide to delay his comeback until spring 1981.

Now the butterflies start flying; there's no reason to assume that Mark David Chapman will succeed in being at the right place at the right time to kill John Lennon, whatever his intentions. Anything could happen - Chapman could get picked up by police for something else and committed to the kooky house, he might commit suicide, he might try to kill Lennon but fail - anything. So this POD could potentially have saved John Lennon's life.

Thoughts?

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . it's possible that the rivalry-love relationship Lennon and McCartney had may have spurred John into not wanting to step into Paul's shadow, as it were - John would have wanted the attention all to himself. So in this scenario, he might decide to delay his comeback until spring 1981. . .
To me, rockstar-ing is all about dancing the inspiration on the songwriting. 🦋 But in a thoroughly half-assed way and that’s the yin-yang of it all!

Meaning, I’m not sure John could or would time it that much.

I do believe in butterflies and would love a re-roll in which we might just get lucky.

—————

PS I was 17 at the time, and I remember a kid in trig class being pissed off at Paul because he (Paul) blamed the lax attitudes of the good ol’ U.S. of A. And the irony is, I don’t think we’re all that lax about marijuana, nor were we in 1980.

Last edited:
John might have made the tracks at the same time as OTL, but held back from releasing them. I can see him saying something like, "They'll all be asking me 'Are you following Paul?' No, I'm not following him....I'll wait for him to get out of the fooking way."

Maybe Double Fantasy ends up with more John songs, as he has more material finished by spring.