Patton Lives

He Gets transferred to Korea in 1950, Mac Aurthur stays in Tokyo. Patton listens to his advisors,:eek: and doesn't approach the Yalu.:)
NKorea becomes a 100 mile strech along the Yalu, and Patton is the Hero of Korea. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The wreck happened the day before he was to return to CONUS, so it's quite likely that Ol' Blood 'n Guts gets his big welcome home, ticker-tape parade in NYC, and then retires. He was the kind of commander for whom peace would be terrible. Patton would probably offer to be reactivated when Korea starts, though whether or not His Majesty MacArthur would want him (there wasn't room in the Far East for two Prima Donnas) is another question.

Paul MacQ

Monthly Donor
I know I am being silly " Patton President would be an interesting 1948 " Korea!! Nope Mao would be too scared to get involved.

Well he was 64 when he died. Add another five years to that. To be honest, he's likely retired by the time Korea wants and probably not by his own choosing.

Lets say that the crash that killed Patton is avoided, what would happen to his career?

Probably what happened to the other generals: a desk assignment due to drastic reductions in the Army after may 1945. Patton was a great (at least compared to other american generals) "war general", but all war generals have problem in peacetime. Pattons personality would probably stop him from getting any field commands.

Korea could be a possibility, but by then Patton would be 65 years old. Also, Korea was not tank country. And since Korea was an UN operation it would mean coordinating with British, Egyptians, Australians and a lot of other nationalities - not to mention the South Koreas. And diplomacy wasn't Pattons strongest ability.

My guess is that Patton wouldn't fade away gracefully, but become a fairly crouchy commentor on military and foreign policy. He would complain about disbanding the Army, peacetime standards, budget cuts and coddling with communists. If this would damage or strenghten his legacy, and if it really would have some impact on politics, is impossible to say.

burmafrd

Banned
Patton fully intended to retire as soon as he got back to the US, and then to write his memoirs which would have really been explosive. Unlike "War as I Knew It" which was heavily edited by the family to tone down its criticism of other generals, I have no Doubt Patton would have really let fly. What that would have done is hard to tell. BUT it would really have been a gold mine for historians in the next 50 years.

I could see him being the commander in Korea. Also maybe becoming an Anti-Commie activist.

MacCaulay

Banned
Well he was 64 when he died. Add another five years to that. To be honest, he's likely retired by the time Korea wants and probably not by his own choosing.

And MacArthur was five years older than Patton, 70 years old when Korea started. Age might not necessarily be a factor for Patton.

MacArthur was also hanging out at the Dai Ichi. You know what they say about command of the Korean War: Location! Location! Location!

I can see him going back to the US and being an ex-general that likes to tour around and grab headlines without really doing anything substantial. Book signings, veterans groups, tours of battlefields, those kinds of things.

So...I guess...after the Second World War, Patton will become Monty. :D