OTL Election maps resources thread

Thande

Donor
And proponents saying it was the equivalent of a group of friends choosing which pub to go to?
Heh, I remember that...not precisely, but the supporters did make the mistake of saying "look how well it works in foreign countries" (in this case mostly France under Napoleon III*) which never convinces anyone.

*To be more precise, the French in that era used a weird electoral college system where each commune gets together in a convention and elects a representative, then all the commune representatiges get together and elect a departmental representative, etc... but the point is they used a secret ballot system to actually cast the votes.

Heh, I remember that...not precisely, but the supporters did make the mistake of saying "look how well it works in foreign countries" (in this case mostly France under Napoleon III*) which never convinces anyone.

*To be more precise, the French in that era used a weird electoral college system where each commune gets together in a convention and elects a representative, then all the commune representatiges get together and elect a departmental representative, etc... but the point is they used a secret ballot system to actually cast the votes.

French politicians have always had a thing for manipulation of the electoral system, as late as 1986.

For example during the Boulanger crisis, they amended the electoral system to prevent Boulanger from winning more than on seat by establishing that there could only be one MP per constituency and one single person couldn't represent more than one constituency and stuff like that.

Or with the famous loi des appartenages in 1951 made to favour the establishment forces against Gaullists and Communists. RPR and PCF should have gotten together 1/2 of the Assembly with a fair system and instead, together they had a 1/3 or so.

Thande

Donor
French politicians have always had a thing for manipulation of the electoral system, as late as 1986.

For example during the Boulanger crisis, they amended the electoral system to prevent Boulanger from winning more than on seat by establishing that there could only be one MP per constituency and one single person couldn't represent more than one constituency and stuff like that.

Or with the famous loi des appartenages in 1951 made to favour the establishment forces against Gaullists and Communists. RPR and PCF should have gotten together 1/2 of the Assembly with a fair system and instead, together they had a 1/3 or so.

I've also heard that the French used to use a plurality-at-large general ticket system like in the old US South for local elections, because (IIRC) the right was united at that time and the left was divided, so the right could win all the seats on a plurality.

I've also heard that the French used to use a plurality-at-large general ticket system like in the old US South for local elections, because (IIRC) the right was united at that time and the left was divided, so the right could win all the seats on a plurality.

They did something like that in 1986. Mitterrand had promised to change the electoral system after winning but he only did it right before the elections of '86 because the PS was going to lose and the right was going to win, and the right then claimed he changed it so that the FN could get their rightful share of seats (~30-40) that would have otherwise gone to the moderate right under the 2RS.

Immediately after winning the election, but with a small majority, Chirac (as PM, not President just yet) changed it back to 2RS, but for the next election.

EDIT: I've been reading about French politics from the Fourth Republic, and it's the best. A system with 7 more or less equally powerful parties, but 1.5 of them outside the system (which also happened to be the most powerful) in a system of PR but a very 'corrected' one but in which the parties suffered from constant internal rebellions (really weird in PR). I'd love to map it, since there were only 4 elections under the system, but sadly, the French databases are no help. It's like nothing existed before 1958...

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
They did something like that in 1986. Mitterrand had promised to change the electoral system after winning but he only did it right before the elections of '86 because the PS was going to lose and the right was going to win, and the right then claimed he changed it so that the FN could get their rightful share of seats (~30-40) that would have otherwise gone to the moderate right under the 2RS.

Immediately after winning the election, but with a small majority, Chirac (as PM, not President just yet) changed it back to 2RS, but for the next election.

EDIT: I've been reading about French politics from the Fourth Republic, and it's the best. A system with 7 more or less equally powerful parties, but 1.5 of them outside the system (which also happened to be the most powerful) in a system of PR but a very 'corrected' one but in which the parties suffered from constant internal rebellions (really weird in PR). I'd love to map it, since there were only 4 elections under the system, but sadly, the French databases are no help. It's like nothing existed before 1958...

I heard on another forum that there is a French political atlas with the Third and Fourth Republic results, but it seems rather obscure and hard to get hold of (just like the American ones).

A shame, that sounds like it would be really interesting to see.

Finishing up the North East, here's Hartlepool, which is unusual in that the wards were redrawn in both 2004 and 2012 (the latter moving to three councillors per ward rather than having 2 on 1 councillor and 3 for everyone else). Labelled ward maps for before 2012, and the 2012 map here.

Hartlepool was quite a significant port during the pre-industrial period as it was the chief port of the County Palatine of Durham (I suspect because the Wear was navigable up till Durham for small boats and the city didn't want to lose that potential trade to a Wearmouth port). The old town and port was situated on the headland, but later on a new port was established at West Hartlepool further down the coast and which quickly became the larger settlement due to the growth of industry and shipbuilding. Unification attempts were begun in 1902 and finally succeeded in 1967 with the creation of a new county borough which rather optimistically incorporated Seaton further down the coast to use for industrial growth. In a marvellous example of waiting for a local government reform and 2 coming at once, 7 years later the 1974 national reorganisation further expanded the borough with a large amount of rural countryside to the west as a district of the new county of Cleveland, before the industrial collapse of the 70s and 80s promptly rendered most of the reasons for the expansions moot.

Hartlepool had the highest unemployment level in the country during the 1980s, but between 90s regeneration and the large rural areas this is a Borough with some incredibly fractured politics where I'm pretty certain the only reason why Labour have maintained their dominance (albeit with regular periods of No Overall Control) since Cleveland was dissolved into the current unitary authorities in 1996 being how highly fractured the opposition is. The parliamentary seat is a safe Labour one, having elected the party since 1964, and while current MP Iain Wright was a minor cabinet under-secretary during the last days of the Brown government, far more significant is that this was Peter Mandelson's seat between 1992 and 2004.

The council itself has a core Labour heartland in West Hartlepool where the Lib Dems have managed the occasional transient victory, surrounded by the leafy Park suburb which is pretty securely Conservative and was incorporated into the new Rural West ward in 2012 probably securing that for the party. The chief opposition, however, has historically come from Independents who have historically dominated the west and south, as well as having some success in the old town on the Headland. UKIP had some modest successes last decade, and were only 1 vote short of taking St. Hild's ward in 2011. They appear to have been replaced by the local 'Putting Hartlepool First' party as the main protest vote in 2012 however. Hartlepool also instituted a directly elected Mayor in 2002, but after elected Stuart Drummond for an unprecedented 3rd term in 2009 voted to abolish the office in 2012- a minor embarrassment for the government as this was the year they were trying to get other cities to put them in place. Judging by the Borough's history, 2014 will be an interesting result even if Labour are almost certainly going to retain control of the council.
hartlepool_over_time_shaded.png

Thande

Donor
As you say, that is the last of the North East councils to vote in 2010, so I can now show this map of the whole North East in 2010 (lowres).

North East England 2010 lowres preview.png

Thande

Donor
Not the most useful map in the world:p
Nah, same problem with the East of England and South West England. Some of the other regions should be more interesting though. Andrew Teale actually already made one map showing all of the 2010 elections at once (showing the winners as one colour rather than our gradations of course) but now I can't find where he posted it.

While most of the suburbs of Stockholm appear to be fairly average, we are now heading towards Botkyrka, with a slogan that can be translated as "Far From Average". As we will see, this is true of their politics as well.

When the average Swedish citizen hears the name Botkyrka, they will probably think of The Latin Kings, the first well-known Swedish hip-hop act who broke through in the 90's with the album "Välkommen till förorten" ("Welcome to the Suburbs"). Indeed, Botkyrka - and especially the northern parts (consisting of several suburbs such as Norsborg, Alby, Hallunda and Fittja, together known as Norra Botkyrka), where the Stockholm metro's red line ends - was and is a poor and immigrant-heavy area. It's also the only municipality to be dominated by the poor areas - they otherwise exist in Stockholm's southwest and northwest corners and dotted around the surrounding municipalities. As you will see, Norra Botkyrka is the terminus of an arm of poor (red) suburbs that also stretches through southwest Stockholm and westermost Huddinge.

However, Botkyrka is more than meets the eye - the municipality's southern parts contain the mixed suburb Tumba (which sounds just as silly in Swedish as in English) and middle-to-upper scale Tullinge. The areas are separated by non-residential areas, especially in the southernmost ward which is essentially rural, but also the Hågelby Park between Tumba and Norra Botkyrka where there were plans for a new amusement park that were just recently stopped. We will see where this leads for the Botkyrka Party, a small local party which appears to have eco-tourism instead of roller coasters in the Hågelby Park as its main issue together with promoting 90's-style bad webpages. All together, the different areas makes Botkyrka a very fragmented municipality, which shows in its politics.

You might remember Huddinge's Drevviken Party, fighting for the area east of a lake separated from the rest of the municipality to secede. Botkyrka has the Tullinge Party, which... fights for the area east of a lake separated from the rest of the municipality to secede! However, unlike Drevviken where support was relatively tepid even in parts of the potentially independent area, the Tullinge Party skyrocketed in the 2010 elections, gaining close to 50% of the vote in Tullinge and 10% of the total vote making it the 3rd largest, compared to less than 2% in 2006. Despite the Social Democrats' opposition, a plebiscite on secession will take place along with the 2014 general election in September.

Excluding Tullinge, Botkyrka transitions from red to blue going southwards, with Norra Botkyrka solidly Social Democratic (and the Left Party getting second place in a few wards), Tumba and the central areas divided and the southernmost part called Grödinge dark blue. With the former more united than the latter and partly stretching into the southern constituency, Botkyrka is one of the few solidly left-wing municipalities in the county.

Despite all the left-wing parties being in a coalition, an unholy alliance of the Social Democrats and the right-wing parties sold 1300 publicly owned apartments in Alby to a venture capitalist, enraging locals and prompting activists to found a network named "Alby är inte till salu" (Alby is not for sale) which brought in enough signatures for a plebiscite. However, over 2000 signatures were disqualified, with all signs pointing towards many disqualifications being wrong and the majority essentially cheating to avoid a plebiscite - despite reluctantly allowing Tullinge to hold one - rightfully pissing off the locals royally. It will be interesting to see whether the Social Democrats lose votes in the north, and if the voters stay home or turn to the Left Party (which opposed the sale).

If you wonder whether the Moderates would take advantage of the situation? Well, they're having a civil war between two factions and two leaders, resulting in the regional party branch (led by the current Minister of Infrastructure) to intervene in favor of one of them.

Far from average, indeed.

botkyrka final small.png

Last edited:
I think we're going to need to do Södertälje in a (much) smaller scale when we get to that. Same goes for Norrtälje, Värmdö, Nynäshamn, etc.

I think we're going to need to do Södertälje in a (much) smaller scale when we get to that. Same goes for Norrtälje, Värmdö, Nynäshamn, etc.

Indeed. I basically downsized the image by half now, and it's still on the big side (but not infeasibly so). In fact, I can't even add the original to the rest of the municipalities because the image size causes Paint.NET to crash.

Nah, same problem with the East of England and South West England. Some of the other regions should be more interesting though. Andrew Teale actually already made one map showing all of the 2010 elections at once (showing the winners as one colour rather than our gradations of course) but now I can't find where he posted it.

You rang?

http://www.andrewteale.me.uk/pdf/2010-map.pdf is the link. Or, if you want to the version with ward sizes proportional to electorate, http://www.andrewteale.me.uk/pdf/2010-cart.pdf

This thread keeps on giving. Fantastic work, everyone.

Last edited:
Heading down to the South West and the only other Unitary Authority which is having an election this year- Swindon. Swindon also had the ward borders redrawn in 2012. Pre 2012 and post 2012 ward maps here.

A small north Wiltshire town until the 19th Century, Swindon expanded massively with the coming of the canals and Isambard Kingdom Brunel's Great Western Railway, where Swindon was the site of the Repair and upkeep works for the line. The building's now the Steam Railway. Despite the closure of the railways, regeneration and new housing estates on the northern fringe of the town centre combined with good transport links along the M4 corridor mean that Swindon has transitioned relatively well to a post-industrial economy, with the ratio between household income and house prices the highest in the country in 2008. The unitary authority also includes a large amount of green belt and neighbouring villages to the north and east up to the Wiltshire border.

The result is a pair of constituencies which have been bellwethers since they were created in 1997, and a council dominated by a predominately Labour voting core surrounded by a ring of Conservative suburbs and the strongly conservative rural areas- a situation maintained in the new ward boundaries despite it being a wrong winner result with the Conservatives taking more seats despite Labour's higher vote share. The council was controlled by Labour between 1996 and 2000, before swinging towards the Conservatives who gained control in 2003 which they've kept to this day.

2012 was the first time in a while that Labour had the largest vote share, so it'll be interesting to see if this continues as an actual trend towards No overall control.
swindon_over_time_shaded.png

Thande

Donor

Thanks very much! I remembered it was a PDF but couldn't remember where it was.

Alex - I was actually going to do or suggest Swindon as a subject, great minds think alike. Reading would also be a good one to do, not least because I think that would be the second map to have an AH.commer on it after Birmingham (one of the battleship-based TL writers is a Reading councillor I believe).

Thanks very much! I remembered it was a PDF but couldn't remember where it was.

Alex - I was actually going to do or suggest Swindon as a subject, great minds think alike. Reading would also be a good one to do, not least because I think that would be the second map to have an AH.commer on it after Birmingham (one of the battleship-based TL writers is a Reading councillor I believe).

Might well do that. I'm working on Exeter at the moment though.

So here's the Exeter map I mentioned. Labelled ward map here.

The county town of Devon, Exeter represented the furthest advance of Roman Civilisation into South West England, and in many ways continues to be the furthest you can get before the decent infrastructure runs out (it takes about as long to get from Derbyshire to Exeter as it does to get from Exeter to Truro for example). The city was thus an important market town and government centre during the middle ages, but due to distance from raw materials largely avoiding industrialisation in the 19th Century, though it was a major rail transport hub for the South West. The city was considered second only to Bath for it's beauty, before the usual combination of the Luftwaffe and Social Planners came along.

Politically Exeter itself is somewhat marginal- it went Labour in 1966, Conservative from 1970 to 1997 and has been Labour since then, while two wards belong to Tory safe seat East Devon. The council meanwhile has spent most of the last 4 decades under no overall control- 1973-76, 1984-95 and 2003-2012- interrupted by Conservative and Labour control respectively. The council again fell to Labour in 2012 in something of a landslide.

There's something of a tale of two decades here. Before 2010, Exeter could be described as possessing a strong Labour voting arc along the railway lines in the east of the city, and most of the rest being a mixture of marginals with some safe seats for both these parties, Labour and a decent showing for the Liberal Party in places. 2010 was a rather odd year for Exeter, however. The council was supposed to become a unitary authority in 2011, but this was quashed at the last minute, meaning the 2010 election (which wasn't supposed to happen) was delayed until September (ironically the candidate elected in the May by-election for Pennsylvania ward was declared to have been elected for the full 4 year term meaning this is quite possibly the only occasion where I'm using the cross symbol to indicate a by election held before the usual (delayed) election due to the death of a candidate.)

As such we've got a fascinating insight into the immediate effects of the coalition announcement- and the immediate small Labour gains of that year that in the following two elections have all but wiped out the Lib Dems in Exeter. The Liberal Party have gone as well, caught between the Labour upsurge and the Lib Dem decline upset the delicate split of their local opposition.
exeter_over_time_shaded.png