OTL Election maps resources thread

Here's today's Sao Tomean Presidential Election. This is the first time since the beginning of democracy here in 1991 that the Presidency has been controlled by the same party as the legislature and the regional authorities. This Party is Independent Democratic Action (ADI) which proclaims itself to be Centrist but is mainly based around the patronage networks of the Trovoada family, who broke with the leftist dictatorship in 1979. They have provided the head of government since 2014 in the form of Patrice Trovoada, and this time they have provided the President as well, Evaristo Carvalho, who won 50.1% in the first round. The other contenders were Manuel Pinto da Costa, who had been the country's first (dictatorial) President from 1975 to 1991, for the Social Democratic Party. He returned to office in 2011, intending to retire for one final time this year, but as with most African Presidents, he inevitably stood again this time. Since 2011, he has been an Independent.

The third major contender was ex-PM Maria das Neves, from the Social Democratic Party, which has for some reason accreted acronyms to the extent that it is now called the MLSTP/PSD. She was PM from 2002 to 2004, apart from a brief coup in 2003. There were two other candidates, neither of whom made an impression. One was Manuel do Rosario, a biology teacher who claimed that he had been appointed President by God (and people complain about Donald Trump...) and the other was Helder Barros, who is literally still doing postgrad studies at the LSE. Neither reached 1% of the vote, but Maria das Neves topped the poll in Principe and came a credible second in a couple of other districts. Pinto da Costa also got some second places but only came first among the Sao Tomean diaspora in Equatorial Guinea. This probably isn't a particularly large group of people, as the entire electorate is only 111,000.

So the final results were:

Evaristo Carvalho (ADI) 34,629 50.1
Manuel Pinto da Costa (Independent) 17,121 24.8
Maria das Neves (MLSTP/PSD) 16,638 24.1
Manuel do Rosário (Independent) 488 0.7
Hélder Barros (Independent) 194 0.3

Sao Tome 2016.png

Thande

Donor
As a nice idea, I'll explain the system used for the 1789 'election' for the États-généraux. I'm sure Thande will love it, it's all complicated and Ancien Régime-like.
I missed this before, thanks a lot for doing it - very interesting.

I like how the French had the same issue as us in how do you define a household, with them using the feu or fireplace, whereas our definition ended up as the slightly more complex 'fireplace, cookpot and door' as I've previously mentioned.

Those are correct, though.
The Alaska delegation voted 12 Cruz, 11 Trump, and 5 Rubio. This was recorded as 28 Trump, and the Alaska delegates gave an angry speech about it after the roll call.

Similarly, DC clearly voted 10 Rubio and 9 Kasich, but was recorded as 19 Trump.

Edit: Looking further into it, DC's chhange seems to be due to a rule stating that their delegates will vite for the presumptive nominee if there is one. So the delegates were breaking the rules. But Alaska was definitely wrong.

Last edited:

Penelope

Banned
The Alaska delegation voted 12 Cruz, 11 Trump, and 5 Rubio. This was recorded as 28 Trump, and the Alaska delegates gave an angry speech about it after the roll call.

Similarly, DC clearly voted 10 Rubio and 9 Kasich, but was recorded as 19 Trump.

Edit: Looking further into it, DC's chhange seems to be due to a rule stating that their delegates will vite for the presumptive nominee if there is one. So the delegates were breaking the rules. But Alaska was definitely wrong.

No, Alaska was recorded correctly according to the rules. Reince Preibus announced this after the Alaska delegation demanded that their votes be changed. Alaska is one of several states which is bound by a rule stating that, once there is only one candidate left in the race, delegates bound for candidates other than the presumptive nominee are rotated to the presumptive nominee. Thus, Alaska's delegates were recorded all for Trump, the only remaining candidate.

No, Alaska was recorded correctly according to the rules. Reince Preibus announced this after the Alaska delegation demanded that their votes be changed. Alaska is one of several states which is bound by a rule stating that, once there is only one candidate left in the race, delegates bound for candidates other than the presumptive nominee are rotated to the presumptive nominee. Thus, Alaska's delegates were recorded all for Trump, the only remaining candidate.

That's what I get for relying on the convention thread...

It's amusing that the Alaska and DC delegates didn't know their own rules.

Thande

Donor
I was slowly working towards that myself, but thanks for saving me the trouble!

As someone (Makemakean?) once commented, I'm really quite pleased with the Unopposed colours I came up with (I inherited parts of the colour scheme from other mapmakers, but those are all my own work) - they look appropriately unhealthy and pallid as a comment on the health or otherwise of democracy.

Sooo much red, so many conservatives.

I keep thinking that, if the US had proportional representation, it would end up like Ireland - two large centre-right parties that keep forming governments, mucking up, and then swapping over with the other one. :D

For the US it's the one quoted at the bottom of the two maps SomeOther just posted, not sure what you mean...

I think he means the "Great big multi-shade colour palette of everything". Which is usually included in the UK political maps, given that the US doesn't really need more than five colours at most, even at local level.

Chicxulub

Banned
2014 Victoria Mayoral Election
upload_2016-7-26_4-3-27.png

Lisa Helps - 37.63%
Dean Fortin - 37.27%
Ida Chong - 13.40%
Andrew Stephen - 9.74%

I couldn't find an actual map of the polling districts, so I just mapped out the polling places in each neighborhood, every neighborhood had one polling place, except for Downtown, North Park, and Rockland (in Grey), which had none, as well as James Bay and Fairfield (The two southwestern neighborhoods), which each had two. Lisa Helps won by a margin of 89 votes, also every candidate is Independent, except for Ida Chong, who was a Liberal.

Cross-posting from the Canadian Politics Thread.

Last edited: