One more Year

One of the interesting things we can speculate about here is what a longer life span for some individuals considered to have died young would mean. But here I want to speculate on what one, and only one, more year of life, would imply for a wide array of individuals. Yes, I realize the convergence of this.

I had to add this one ... Mr Adolf Hitler.

Captured by the Soviets, put on trial and executed on April 30th 1946.

But in that extra year of life what kind of arguments would his detention cause ... where would the trial be, who would conduct it? I'm sure the Soviets would not want to give up their prize so he could be put on trial with the rest ... what is everyone elses opinion?

I had to add this one ... Mr Adolf Hitler.

Captured by the Soviets, put on trial and executed on April 30th 1946.

But in that extra year of life what kind of arguments would his detention cause ... where would the trial be, who would conduct it? I'm sure the Soviets would not want to give up their prize so he could be put on trial with the rest ... what is everyone elses opinion?

He'd have been tried by someone. Not sure if the Soviets would have brought him along to Nuremberg to let the West try him or would have staged their own trial for him. The problem with trials for people like Hitler is that it can give them a soapbox to stand on and preach their message from and risk martyring them. I remember there was big debate in Japan over whether to execute the mastermind behind the Tokyo subway attacks because authorities worried they'd end up giving him more followers. Which ever way it goes, Hitler would be interesting.

Another WWII one, FDR. If Roosevelt can pull through until 1946 as well, that will have repercussions. While I don't doubt that he would use nuclear weapons against Japan to shorten the war, would he use them in the same manner Truman did? And what other decisions at the end of the war and in its immediate aftermath would he make that could change things up?

Archibald

Banned
One of the interesting things we can speculate about here is what a longer life span for some individuals considered to have died young would mean. But here I want to speculate on what one, and only one, more year of life, would imply for a wide array of individuals. Yes, I realize the convergence of this.

I had a similar idea - whatif every single famous people was granted a 120 years life ? (without any change to history - ASB of course)
De Gaulle (booh, hiss :D) would have died in 2010. How about that ?

nbcman

Donor
George V. If he lived one more year, the OTL Edward VIII would have asked to marry Wallis Simpson about 2 months before his death as opposed to 10 months after.