Ominira - a Slave Revolt on Cuba Timeline

Chapter One - Drums in the Heat of the Night
Chapter One - Drums in the Heat of the Night

The_Baptist_War__Destruction_of_the_Roehampton_Estate__J_anuary_1832.png

An Estate burns in Matanzas - June 1825

The first most plantation owners around Guamacaro knew of the slave uprising that had broken out was when drums began to sound it the darkness of the forests. It was a call to arms, although few startled whites realised it, for the slave populations. Many sugar plantations had at least fifty slaves. Larger ones had close to two hundred. And so it was that the mobs of men and women who emerged from the forest's edge under cover of the dark knew where they were going. They had worked these fields and workshops, sweated along the narrow paths and water ways, and now they followed their feet back to the big houses of their slave masters.

The violence was terrible and indiscriminate. Panicked stories of survivors who rode through the terrifying night spoke of burning houses and storerooms. Of slave masters and enforcers hacked apart with sugar cane machetes and knives. Few were spared the terror of the assault - women, children, eldery, sick - all were put to the blade by insurrectionists in the dark of the night. It took a full night of hard riding, and most of the following morning, for news to reach the shocked authorities in Havana. They were not to know it yet, but by that point over four hundred whites were dead and an approximate 7,000 former slaves under arms in a major rebellion in the west of the island of Cuba.

Most were from the Yoruba people of West Africa, brought over in horrifyingly cramped slave ships, or born into slavery on the island. They had toiled and suffered and died on the sugar plantations of the island for decades and now they took to the hills and forests, armed with the tools of their labour and the weapons of their former overseers. One piece of information that the authorities in Havana did manage to learn was the watchword of the rebels. It was a Yoruba word, used to tell friend from foe, and whilst the panicked colonial officers who assembled their militia were not to know it yet, it was a word that would symbolise a change in Cuba and the World forever.

The word was Ominira - Freedom.

Hi all - the POD of this new timeline is that the slave revolt of 1825, a real revolt that turned into a running low-level resistance in western Cuba until the 1840s, is a lot...bigger. That's all I want to cue up at the moment, but I hope it gives people an idea of how we've diverged from history.

Hi all - the POD of this new timeline is that the slave revolt of 1825, a real revolt that turned into a running low-level resistance in western Cuba until the 1840s, is a lot...bigger. That's all I want to cue up at the moment, but I hope it gives people an idea of how we've diverged from history.
What is known about the leadership and organization of the rebellion? Have you found a PoD that would lead to it being "a lot... bigger"?

One of the best ideas for a Timeline I've seen in a while. Very excited to see where this goes. I wonder what the Haitians will think of this uprising. I can see President Boyer sending assistance. Will we see a Cuban Touissant?

One of the best ideas for a Timeline I've seen in a while. Very excited to see where this goes. I wonder what the Haitians will think of this uprising. I can see President Boyer sending assistance. Will we see a Cuban Touissant?
A knock on effect that I don't think should be ignored is how this'll effect the U.S.

I can imagine is how paranoid this is going to make southern slave owners in the U.S.

First the Haitian slaves came for their French masters, then the Cubans came for their Spaniard masters; what's to stop The black slaves rising up against their American masters?

Maybe we'll see Southern men volunteer to help the Spanish put down this slave revolt in what they see as a fight of "Civilized Europeans vs. Barbourus Africans" / bragging rights and adventure for the upper classes while the lower classes could get a paycheck and the possibility of seeing foreign shores.

I don't think they'll swing the inevitable conflict but this would definitely have a knock on effect where the future Confederacy will have an officer core who are now used to guerilla warfare and limited supply lines, which will make the unions job harder when it comes to draining the morale and ability to fight of the southerners.

Speaking of the Civil war, what if the Southern states pull the trigger early thanks to John Brown and his potential revolt spooking the Plantation classes.

Also what's to stop with what was once a Civil war spilling out internationally? With the confederacy trying to take an hold Cuba as a state for their "Golden Circle" or even promising to give it back to the Spanish for assistance in the Civil war. With the Union having to now rely on their Latin American neighbours and the Cuban slaves their once eyed with suspicion.

Anyway, all this to say that I'm super interested in this timeline and I'm excited to see where you take it.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Very interesting idea -

I am sure the author has plenty in mind in terms of headcannon already.

@Wolf-Salami has rightly pointed out how disturbing this will be to the Americans, especially the Americans of the south. However, Americans will be of mixed minds about a concerted national policy of pro-Spanish intervention. President John Quincy Adams and many northerners will have a reluctance to intervene on behalf of slavery, but some Americans, mostly pro-slavery, but some not, will see an opportunity/necessity to expand the US to Cuba.

Britain, while increasingly turning against slavery, and also increasingly in favor of independence of Spain's colonies, will be concerned about the violence involved in the uprising and destabilizing effects on Jamaica, the Bahamas, and the other Antilles. I think the British will increase security in the Caribbean, I do not know if in response to the crisis the British Parliament and Ministries would be willing and able to accelerate West Indies slavery abolition to try to get ahead of feared copycat insurrections.

The Spanish are going to fight as long and hard as they can on Cuba itself, and Puerto Rico will be their main secure base area. Ultimately, if Spanish slaveholders and administrators are set to flight from Cuba, Puerto Rico would be their only American destination (other than possibly some parts of the US) besides Spain itself.

The Spanish also held a fortress in Veracruz, Mexico or its harbor at this time, not giving up their claim.

So, primarily for this reason, the newly independent Mexican state would most likely support any Cuban rebellion that shows sign of persistence, even if it is slave and Afro-Cuban led, for the national security reason of removing Spanish threats to Mexico's newfound independence and sovereignty. Mexico would likely be the second most important ally, aside from Haiti, to Afro-Cuban rebels. Mexico had a partially African heritage man, Vicente Guerrero, in leadership circles in this decade. Gran Colombia, also revolution-fresh, will also be interested in seeing Spain lose in Cuba, to push the Spanish revanchist threat further away. f

If Cuba were to become an independent emancipated republic (or monarchy) this might give France pause about thinking it has good odds of success later on barging into the Caribbean to extort a big indemnity from Haiti. However, the demography of Cuba I think was not majority Afro-Cuban, nor majority enslaved, and if it was, it was bare majorities, so the situation is not set up for pure replication of Haiti on Cuba.