Obscure AH Websites

Have you ever found any sites unlisted in the directory, without any connections to any AH community or allhistorians?

Paul Burgess writes a lot of surrealistic fiction. His most alternate historical one is the Chinese Columbus, a creative story where Zheng He brings the Chinese into America. For some unexplained reason, Europe is weak and stagnant under the rule of the Holy Roman Empire. Nevertheless, it is a very well-written story.

He’s also got a few other stories that may be considered alternate history because they were written before the Soviets collapsed- he calls them althist, himself.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Pax Britannia said:
Its a shame most AH boards have very basic forums

How complex do you want it to be ? I was rather under the impression that people liked simple easy-to-understand forums, since the content is more important than flashing graphics, bells and whistles ?

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
How complex do you want it to be ? I was rather under the impression that people liked simple easy-to-understand forums, since the content is more important than flashing graphics, bells and whistles ?

Grey Wolf

I just hate the basic outline. I prefer forums to have sigs and avatars and so on. Most AH website seem to be running of some eastern european econo drive.

I remember this incredibly long TL where meteor strikes hit everything from Iberia to Taiwan, wiping out all civilization in the Old World. I got bored of it since it focused on the Amerindians, who took centuries to discover the wheel, but it was well-written. I have found no trace of it at all.

I've always liked the Matt Trepal TL- it's in the Directory, but is now defunct.

Keep on sending your obscure sites! Games and GURPS Infinite Earth sites good, too. At the very least, we can put these in the Directory or Web Guide.

Strategos' Risk said:
I've always liked the Matt Trepal TL- it's in the Directory, but is now defunct.
This one is also available from archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030622024045/http://www.erie.net/~mtrepal2/althist/althist.html
Strategos' Risk said:
Keep on sending your obscure sites! Games and GURPS Infinite Earth sites good, too. At the very least, we can put these in the Directory or Web Guide.
Here's a game, not currently active but you can read the archives:

http://groups.msn.com/parallelearths/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

Strategos' Risk said:
I remember this incredibly long TL where meteor strikes hit everything from Iberia to Taiwan, wiping out all civilization in the Old World. I got bored of it since it focused on the Amerindians, who took centuries to discover the wheel, but it was well-written. I have found no trace of it at all.
This one might be from Pteranodon's website, which no longer has any alternate history scenarios and doesn't have old copies on archive.org (that guess is based on this usenet thread which mentions an Amerindian-dominated timeline by Andrew S. Goldstein which was on Pteranodon's site). Maybe someone could email Pteranodon and ask if he'd send 'em the timelines he had so they could be hosted on another site?

Last edited:

Diamond

Banned
Does anyone else feel like the overall amount of AH stuff on the web has declined in the last year or two? A huge number of existing sites/scenarios/etc have dropped out of sight, and next to zero new ones have appeared... :(

Diamond

Banned
You'll have one more obscure site pretty soon. I'm in the process of putting together a site that archives a lot of my work-in-progress TLs as well as a bunch of random AH ideas and snippets. I'll post the link when it's up and running.

(bump bump)

Speaking of obscure AH sites, here is one:

http://www.midgard.invisionplus.net

It is a shameless self-plug-in from me, by the way, and is the forum featuring some of my AH (and non-AH) writings, with a fairly low level of activity, but hopefully, some day... :rolleyes: :D Then again, it is based more on the writing side of things than on pure AH only.

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Oh well...

I'd better plug mine too since everyone else sems to be doing theirs:

Sargon's Alternate History Forum

You'll find some familiar names there. And there are other interesting forums there too, not just AH. Get posting guys :p

Click the link, or follow the one in my sig for all my forums.

Sargon