Not alternate history, move it if you have to. Austria-Hungary's policy towards people leaving the Empire

Were normal people allowed to leave if they wanted to? 2 : Were there internal passports between the parts of the empire? I know that some Czech people could make companies in Bulgaria when it was still technically part of the Ottoman Empire until 1908 . But what was the legal situation? What was the loophole under which Иречек, for example, could come to the Ottoman empire? Under what law was he allowed to leave the Austro-Hungarian empire?

EDIT: I guess what I'm asking is: how did citizens of Austria-Hungrary travel outside the KuK, even if it was technically illegal? (probably easier than the USSR, but still). I'm sure there is a very obvious answer, but what is it?

Last edited:
Are you completely sure? The impression I get is that it was more complicdated to leave the Austro-Hungarian empire than it was to leave the Ottoman empire?
EDIT: Unless you were sent to the Russian/Ottoman empires (Bulgarians/Circassians) as a part of population exchanges between the Ottoman and Russian Empires.

Last edited:
1900-1914 was a period of mass emigration for Austria Hungary with almost 3 million migrants heading for the USA.

My understanding was the KuK saw this as a useful escape valve with many dissidents leaving the country rather than remaining and being discontent (and rebelling).