No Watergate

sorry about that i got my years mixed up a bit with the bombing, but I'm fairly certain my point still stands about defunding the ARVN.

It's a legitimate point, but I think the general trend in Congress in the early 1970s points towards defunding (I'm fairly certain aid wasn't supposed to be completely stopped after 1975, but I may have mixed up the dates too). Once I finish the first section of the TL (1976-1980) and collect it, I'll consider adding your recommendations on the Third Indochina War. It's an interesting wrinkle.

It's a legitimate point, but I think the general trend in Congress in the early 1970s points towards defunding (I'm fairly certain aid wasn't supposed to be completely stopped after 1975, but I may have mixed up the dates too). Once I finish the first section of the TL (1976-1980) and collect it, I'll consider adding your recommendations on the Third Indochina War. It's an interesting wrinkle.

Your right about defunding, but it was to be much slower than what happened; the drastic slashing of 80% of the funds dedicated to South Viet Nam was not supposed to happen in one quick blow. The ARVN, by 74 possibly even 73, was an American style fighting force that depended greatly on being well funded to have the best military equipment to support the tactics they used. Even if they don't get US air support, as long as they have proper funding and the promised American equipment the North Viet Namese won't be able to pull off unification because the ARVN would be flat out better than them. The Viet Cong could never hold a city so they won't be too great a problem. South Viet Nam might had to surrender a little more land if the North Viet Namese get brazen enough to invade (which I'm not sure they would if the ARVN and the VNAF have the promised equipment and financial backing) but there likely wouldn't be unification as we know it in OTL. As I said before this leaves North Vietnam surrounded when the Third Indochina War breaks out and you might see some very interesting things.

Another side effect of this might be a less severe "Vietnam Syndrome" which means, if you get a Republican or a Democrat not afraid to get involved abroad, you see more American involvement in the Portuguese colonies and Nicaragua.