No Spanish Civil War in 1936 (my new Timeline)

Status
Not open for further replies.
just curious...

With Puerto Rico a US colony and heavily garrisoned by them, including training camps for the conscripts and major naval facilities (Rooevelt Roads, OTL commisoned as a Naval Operatons base in 1943), I expected the Spanish forces to be sent there for training, and for some tpe of relationship emerging, seeing as we were the last place the Spanish flag flew over on 22 October 1898.

Unfortunately, I found that San Juan only appears as the mustering-out port for Manuel Fraga...

Dr. Strangelove, I was surfing the web for some old legislation and found this: A List of Opposition candidates for the National Assembly of the OTL Portuguese "Estado Novo" (1945-1973). It might came handy to check potential Portuguese politicians for the post-war.:)

Thank you, this will come in handy.

I've said this before, but this TL is all sorts of awesome. I'm jonesing for an update.

Thank you, thank you. I am sorry I can't write more often, but I hit a serious case of writer's block.

I would like to know more about the international context, notably in Latin America. For example, there will be Peronism in Argentina?

Nope.

As for Spain, is formally annexed Spanish Morocco, staying as several Spanish provinces which later formed an autonomous region?
It did, in May 1942, which sparked a short-lived riffian revolt that was suppressed with Allied help.

With Puerto Rico a US colony and heavily garrisoned by them, including training camps for the conscripts and major naval facilities (Rooevelt Roads, OTL commisoned as a Naval Operatons base in 1943), I expected the Spanish forces to be sent there for training, and for some tpe of relationship emerging, seeing as we were the last place the Spanish flag flew over on 22 October 1898.

Unfortunately, I found that San Juan only appears as the mustering-out port for Manuel Fraga...

I didn't even think of it, but it wouldn't be unlikely. San Juan is an important base for the spanish ships that patrol the Western Atlantic, though.

first things first

Actually, I apologize: the first thing I should have posted is that your work, as we say in PR, está cabrón!!!!!! Which, no matter the usual meaning of the word, is meant as a great compliment.

¡más, más, más!

Goldstein

Banned
Bump. Still longing for an update.

Just to add something to the TL, here's my interpretation on how a Prim tank looks like. Sorry about the poor quality:

TanquesPrim.png

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]From The second World War, by Winston Churchill, 1951[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...after the sucess brought by allied conferences in Rejkiavik, Freetown and Stalingrad; Eden, Wallace, De Gaulle and Stalin agreed that a new conference to discuss the ordenation of postwar Europe and in which way Germany's spoils would be split was necessary. Another, unspoken, but no doubt most pressing, issue was in which way Central and Eastern Europe would be set up, and whose influence would be felt the most. It is most unfortunate, however, that Eden and Wallace were unable to secure real democracy for the whole of Europe. Despite Stalin's demise, as I write these lines the Soviet menace is again creeping toward Central Europe...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...after his uncle Hashim Khan's untimely demise in late 1942, the afghan king Zahir Shah had installed his cousin Daoud Khan as Prime Minister, in what every concerned part saw but did not describe as a relatively bloodless palace coup that sidestepped Zahir Shah's other uncle, suddenly banished to a lucrative post in Kandahar. Daoud's position lurched toward the Soviet Union, after the flow of german and italian development help had decreased due to the war. During 1943 and early 1944 soviet-afghan relations warmed up as soviet help began to flow -the Soviet Union was aware of Afghanistan's importance and was willing to sacrifice much needed wartime resources to improve its position, in a process that does not seem to have ended yet...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]... in this neutral location, and after Zahir Shah had agreed to hosting the event, the leaders of almost every major allied power met from July 23 to August 1, 1944. Just what "major allied power" meant proved to be a point of contention in the weeks leading to the conference: while initial plans were that only the "big four" would attend, Eden and De Gaulle soon insisted that other leaders were invited, even if only as observers. Back in the day this seemed as only a graceful response to Durruti and Chiang's insistance in taking part in the design of the postwar world: a more truthful answer would be that Wallace and Stalin seemed intent in splitting Germany and Europe between them. Despite having opposed many of Durruti's petitions in the past and having fought to contain his influence, I advised Eden that the Empire's position at the bargain table would be improved by other minor powers supporting it. Durruti's friendship toward Wallace would also be useful in mediating between the british and american positions. Eden took my advice...[1][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...in the end, the leaders of Spain, Canada, China, Portugal and Australia assisted to the conference together with the Big Four. The foreign Ministers of Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, South Africa and Siam also assisted as observers. A delegation of the polish government in exile also attempted to assist, but would be vetoed by the soviets...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...many seemingly minor issues were easily agreed upon: that the war would not stop until Germany's final surrender, that german leadership would be judged and condemned, and the nature and amount of german war reparations. In the issue of german leadership, all leaders agreed, as it would be revealed, that it was very unlikely that Hitler was in charge of the Reich anymore.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...seemingly concerned by the allied breaktrhough in the Palatinate and the stiffening of german resistance in Poland, Stalin insisted that the division of Germany in occupation zones was to be determined as soon as possible. Since at the time preparations for Matador were well underway and it was expected that most of Germany west of the Oder would end in western hands, Eden's position was that, while the number and allocation of occupation zones could and in fact should be decided in Kabul, its exact disposition should match realities in the battlefield. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...Eden's policy was, for once, helped by Durruti and Lopes' insistance that Spain and Portugal, whose contribution to victoy had been perhaps disproportionate to both countries' actual military and economic might, were allowed to share part of Germany's spoils. In this case, whatever territory was pledged to Spain or Portugal could not go to the Soviets. Eden and De Gaulle also supported Durruti's claims of higher war reparations toward Spain.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...the issue of occupation zones nearly broke down the conference, but Eden was adamant and in the end Durruti's lobbying brought Wallace on his side. It was finally decided that Germany would be split into eight occupation zones, allocated to the Big Four, plus Poland, Canada and two international zones shared by Spain, Portugal, the United States, the Soviet Union, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico and France, since it was agreed that neither Spain nor Portugal were in shape to sustain occupation efforts over a sizable part of Germany. The canadian zone was a last minute addition by Eden to forestall Stalin's proposal of a Polish zone: Eden had no illusions with regards to Stalin's intentions there and did not fight much to ensure a free and democratic Poland after the war. Similar arrangements were made toward Austria, but the happenings of the last week of the war would make them void. The last day, Stalin also proposed that the national self-determination wishes of peoples in Central Europe were respected in their entirety: an incredibly hypocritical claim after his own annexation of Estonia and Latvia, which hid his intention to split Czechoslovakia now that it seemed likely that western forces would beat the Red Army to Prague, or maybe too to divide a puppet Yugoslavia into smaller, manageable states. Eden, however, felt he had no choice but to accept this...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...the issue of Polish borders was also difficult. While Stalin accepted to step back from the post-Ribbentrop-Molotov borders, he was adamant in insisting to keep the Curzon Line as Poland's eastern border, but accepted to compensate Poland either by german territory or by fostering a new union between Poland and Lithuania. In the end it was decided that parts of Pomerania and Silesia would be annexed to Poland, together with the entirety of Eastern Prussia. Lithuania's fate would be decided in a following conference, but all parts agreed that a strong Poland-Lithuania would act as a bulwark against any future german expansionism eastwards. It was surprising to me that Stalin supported this instead of the obvious step of annexing Lithuania to the Soviet Union: I assume that he wanted to throw the West a bone to distract us from his intended sovietization of Poland...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...after agreeing to join the war against Japan within 90 to 120 days after Germany's defeat, Stalin also asked that, while he would welcome any help, the Red Army would not need western assistance to complete the war against the fascist states of the Balkans and Italy. This put Eden and De Gaulle in a very difficult position: the idea of a soviet-occupied Italy becoming Stalin's puppet in the Western Mediterranean and bordering France was unthinkable to the western leaders, but there was little that could be done directly...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...neither Turkey nor greece, who were officialy neutral, were, as far as I could know, mentioned during the conference. A fact we would lament a few months later...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][1]Yes, Winston, we'll take your word for it. [/FONT]

Well, you have implied that Italy remains fascist for the forseeable future. I do remember you saying that Umberto Eco was Duce:eek: and that part of India went Fascist ("Those little Cianos in Bombay" was it?)

Great update, Dr. Strangelove.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In the end it was decided that parts of Pomerania and Silesia would be annexed to Poland, together with the entirety of Eastern Prussia.[/FONT]

No... *sobs quietly*

Oder. Border. Must. Be. Minimum.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]two international zones shared by Spain, Portugal, the United States, the Soviet Union, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico and France[/FONT]

How on earth am I ever going to draw that?

pictured: Postwar Europe??

Making predictions about an unsure future is unlikely to yield any results. Plus it's a waste of map making time. :p

Oh, and what does Ciano think he's doing? I know he wouldn't want to anger the Germans too much while they still possess some force, but Great Scott, the way he's going he won't ask for peace until the Soviets are at Fiume!

Well, you have implied that Italy remains fascist for the forseeable future. I do remember you saying that Umberto Eco was Duce:eek: and that part of India went Fascist ("Those little Cianos in Bombay" was it?)
Italy remains fascist until the 80's indeed.

pictured: Postwar Europe??

Germany will lose more territory in the west and the Italians are certainly not going to get out of this with all their allies unscathed, specially since by the time the Kabul Conference ends the Red Army is already pushing into Hungary.

The agreement on Poland is preliminary, though. Maybe Poland will end annexing its occupation zone, and the soviets will insist in having Poland lease Konigsberg.

How on earth am I ever going to draw that?

With a bigger map. :p

Instead of 4 zones as IOTL, Germany will be divided in 8 zones. 6 will be allocated to a single power, while the other two under the shared responsability of the aforementioned countries.

Oh, and what does Ciano think he's doing? I know he wouldn't want to anger the Germans too much while they still possess some force, but Great Scott, the way he's going he won't ask for peace until the Soviets are at Fiume!

It's not like asking for peace would do him well by this point. He is trying desperately to get leverage with the Western Allies by shipping jewish refugees from Eastern Europe and selling intel to the allies, but after Kabul he realizes he will have to up his game a lot.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Haphazardly built with the blood and tears of hapless civilians in a few months, the Wotan Line was never really intended as an effective defense: the Rhine river is formidable enough. It was primarily intended as a psychological deterrent, trying to convince the Allies that breaking themselves against the Siegfried Line would be a futile enterprise. This way, Himmler hoped that they would stop in the german border and humor his and Heydrich's goal of a giant unified front against the Soviets. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It has not worked out too well, for since the french captured Saarbrucken in June, the Wotan Line is effectively the Reich's last line of defense in the West. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]From A war to be won, history of the second World War, by Alan Millett; Harvard University Press, 2000[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...the final offensives until the fall of Berlin seemed to elicite surprisingly visceral metaphors: Auchinleck had described the assault on the Siegfried Line and the Palatinate Campaign as "punching Germany in the trachea". Operation Matador's aim was described by Marshal O'Connor as much more than simply securing a crossing of the Rhine: the goal was to "eviscerate Germany and then swoop up the carcass"...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...the summer was spent in rebuilding the American army in Europe and securing conquered terrain in the Palatinate. Despite being surrounded by the Wehrmacht in three sides, the Palatinate Salient was easily secured, as those behind the Rhine preferred to entrench behind the Wotan Line, while half-hearted offensives directed to recapture Trier failed to have any effect. It did certainly not help that these offensives were personally and amateurishly directed by Himmler himself, who had always fancied himself as a military commander... [1][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...allied administrators in the occupied Palatinate during these weeks had time to find out about how life in the Reich had taken a turn for the worse in the last months. The first thing that disturbed most allied soldiers was Hitler's omnipresence in almost each wall. While Germany had in theory gone to Total War footing in 1941 to sustain the invasion of Iberia after the almost-debacle of May 1940, it had not been until the very beginning of 1944 that Goebbels had made public the new "Armee zuerst!" policy, devoting every available resource into military consumption. All of a sudden, civilian rations, that had diminished steadily since 1940, became the bare minimum for subsistance. Through 1944, the german people had been fed mostly propaganda and terror: another disturbing image that haunted many allied soldiers would be the not uncommon sight of publicly hanged civilians accused of derrotism, in many cases children or women. It is no wonder that german civilians cooperated easily or that the morale of many fresh german units collapsed right after engaging in combat...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...Matador had at first been intended as the only axis of advance into central Germany. It was hoped it would draw the Wehrmacht's last exhausted forces away from the Ruhr towards the North German Plain where they could be destroyed piecemeal. Then, the allies would advance to the Elbe and meet the soviets there. Considering the scale of the Wehrmacht's collapse, the speed of the allied advance and where the meetup with the Red Army was finally achieved, it is safe to conclude that their experiences in prior years had scarred allied commanders enough to overstate the Wehrmacht's staying power...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][1]Himmler also pulled this stunt IOTL, making up in March 1945 a grandiosely named Vistula Army Group that was not even an army, had not seen the Vistula in quite a while and performed as well as you can imagine against the soviet tide. [/FONT]

Pic_Buffalo3.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It begins shortly before dawn, September 12 1944. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The autumn is near, and everybody assumes that the army will be bogged down in the rain before reaching the Elbe. However, as Field Marshal (or, as his spanish title says, Generalisimo) Vicente Rojo will say that "we had earned the right to be reckless". Nobody wants to see the war in Europe lagging on for another winter, and if the armies of the United Nations must get bogged down, it's better if it is in the middle of Germany. Preparations for the final offensive have been going on for the whole summer, even before the Palatinate Salient was completely liberated. As soon as the Siegfried Line defenses were broken around Saarbrucken, allied engineers descended over the region to rebuild bridges and roads, build improvised airfields and ammunition depots. Soon, amphibious landing barges begin to arrive next to fresh troops. With the americans still reeling after Antwerp, the first wave will be mostly of british troops, with french, spanish and latin americans holding on in reserve. The americans and canadians will press in Belgium and the Netherlands to keep the OKH guessing. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Nobody wants this to last more than necessary, and discovering how conditions are for the average german civilian and how they may be for war prisoners and concentration camp inmates only stiffens the resolve to make the initial strike as brutal as possible. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The main blow comes where the enemy wass less expecting an attack. Throughout the night sustained artillery bombing shatters the german positions east of the Rhine between Mainz and Worms. Earlier in the night, more than one thousand bombers have turned Frankfurt am Main into cinder. By this point, the Lufwaffe almost does not bother with retaliation. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When the sun rises over the Rhine, the sight to those who will go in the first wave as they enter the landing vehicles is that the eastern border is engulfed in fire, for hundreds of bombers and thousands of rockets have dropped napalm over every place suspected of holding a fortified position. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As the first barges cross the river, they can see the mushroom clouds left by the bunker-busting bombs dropped over main positions of the Wotan Line. Resistance on the eastern bank is weaker than expected. By noon the bridgehead extends a few miles east. With no Luftwaffe in sight and enemy artillery put out of comission -either by aerial bombing or the hundreds of paratroopers and commandos that were dropped via gyrodyne throughout the morning- work begins in pontoon bridges. The Wotan Line has been broken almost effortlessly.[/FONT]
1945RhineCrossingJeeps.jpg
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]By the end of the day, Auchinlek's armored forces have cleared the way through the Main river valley towards Frankfurt, whose ruins they will enter the day after. Most Wehrmacht forces in the west are still protecting the Ruhr and the Lower Rhine, and stuck there trying to contain the attack by american and canadian forces toward Nijmegen, Cleve and Arnhem. While this offensive was supposed to be a diversion to allow for a breakout from the Palatinate, it soon achieves a major breakthrough as canadian forces capture intact the bridges over the Rhine at Arnhem while Patton's 3[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]rd[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] American Army drives through the Rhine valley in the direction of Duisburg. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In September 15, allied Intelligence reports that, with up to 75% of all the Wehrmacht's remaining forces trying to contain the soviet tide in Central Poland and Hungary,[1] and the bulk of german forces in the west trying to protect the Ruhr, there are no significant enemy orces between the bridgehead and the Elbe river. As the french and spaniards begin crossing the Rhine south of Mannheim, entering Baden, all german forces in the area begin retreating towards either Bavaria or the Ruhr, leaving wide open a gap in their lines around Fulda.[2] Aunchinleck enters Fulda in September 20, the same day canadian forces in the Netherlands capture Enschede and begin to drive towards Bremen. German counterattacks, while furious, are useless against allied air superiority. From this point on, the campaign becomes only a furious fight against fuel and ammunition depletion in one side, and a desperate attempt to escape northwards in the other. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In the south, the franco-spanish, hampered by the lack of fuel and the rain, advance slowly towards Baden. In the north, the canadians drive unopposed to the Weser while Patton forces all remaining german forces west of the Rhine to retreat towards the Ruhr. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In Central Germany, however, british forces soon show the Wehrmacht that they too have finally learned about lightning warfare, advancing through Hesse towards the North German Plain. While Auchinlek's advance slows as it deepens into Germany, the Wehrmacht's half-hearted counterattacks never really threaten it. Kassel falls in October 1, the same day the canadians reach the Weser and two days before Karlsruhe and Wurzburg finally fall to french and spanish forces. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][1]There was originally being to be an update covering the Soviet invasion of Poland, Hungary and Eastern Prussia during August, but I couldn't make it sound interesting for my life, so it's going to happen offscreen for now. This is a decision I should have made much earlier. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][2]Sorry, couldn't resist[/FONT]

villani-a-polish-allied-troops-fraternize-with-citizens-during-liberation-piazza-del-nettuno-bologna-1945.jpg

Lister's troops in downtown Nuremberg,October 1944

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]From: Down Like Inglorious Bastards. The last year of the Third Reich, by Rai Mohinder Pérez. Ed Alfaguara, Madrid, 2009[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...the sudden collapse of the Wehrmacht's will to fight sent shockwaves through Berlin's leadership. However, by this point it was too late for any sort of military solution as city after city fell to the allied juggernaut. Still, until early October Himmler clinged to the idea of repulsing the invaders, nursing the idea of being a gifted military commander and, according to witnesses, constantly giving frantical orders to repulse the invasion to armies that either did not exist anymore, did not have the strength to fight a much more superior enemy or, simply, just wanted the war to end. As if to underscore his military inability, state repression intensified in the last weeks, with hundreds of civilians being summarily executed for the slightest of reasons...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...while Heydrich and other members of the Kamarilla had already fled south, Himmler probably stayed in Berlin a few more days, until the defeat of Kesselring's attempt to prevent the british from breaking through the Harz mountains towards Dessau and the Elbe river became a granted fact...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]...this final cowardice, coupled with the ever increasing insanity of the regime's policies in its last days, was perhaps the final insult of nazism to Germany...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]One month after Matador began, Buenaventura Durruti is able to celebrate the national holiday with the propaganda stunt he so much wished, as the tanks of General Lister enter Nuremberg, the ideological centre of Nazi Germany: the symbolism is not lost on anyone. The next day, all newspapers open with a gigantic picture of the tricolor flag over the Zeppelinfeld. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]That day, after brushing aside the german 8th Army's attempts to prevent it, british tanks reach the Elbe river. Two days later, as the soviets enter the ruins of Warsaw to be (coldly) greeted by the Polish Home Army, the junction of british and canadian forces is achieved south of Hanover. Most of the forces trapped in the Ruhr escaped, but in such disarray that they are barely a threat now. In the East, the Red Army has crossed the Vistula, entered Slovakia and is fighting for Budapest. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The end has come to the Thousand Year Reich which collapsed in a spectacular way in only a few days. The matter is now what to do with its remains: from these final weeks of fighting, of whose flag is flying over which city, will be born many of the issues to plague the rest of the 20th century. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]At the outskirts of Pforzheim, southern Germany[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]September 23 1944[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]So this is Germany, thought Miguel Gila. I can understand they wanted to invade us: they must freeze to death in winter if this is their weather at the end of summer. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A few miles down the road, Pforzheim is a few columns of smoke, and a bridge over the river, and a road that leads to Stuttgart and Munich and the Alps. The smoke is barely visible over the dreary grey northern sky. Despite being near noon, there are still traces of frost in the trees that line the road. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Their division crossed the Rhine three days ago, across the burned husks of what had been the Wotan Line. The germans had decided to retreat deeper into Germany rather than being outflanked, but it's not going to do them much well. The spanish have advanced eastwards into Pforzheim and then will cut through Southern Germany into Austria with american and french help. Whatever's left from the Wehrmacht behind them will just surrender sooner or later. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Now they have broken through the northern reaches of the Black Forest, straight into the south german plain, the Swabian Alps a faint presence to their right in the short hours a shy autumn sun shines. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Miguel Gila is starting to get sick of this. He notices now that war has always been boring and horrible, but the first months he was able to hide it behind the novelty and all the propaganda he was fed about liberating the Motherland. But that ennui only grew during the slow slog through France and the tedious months his division was pulled back from the front. Now that he's back into duty and that they have finally Broken Through Into the Beast's Lair, Germany is kind of underwhelming. The main sensations Miguel Gila feels (he still cannot know it, but he will turn them into a cult novel twenty years from now) are a combination of drear at the northern landscape, and vague revulsion at how everything seems so luxurious and well kept. These weeks, he has searched for poor shanty houses for poor peasants like the ones down in Spain; but so far it seems like even the poorest german lived like a bourgeois. This disgusts him in an unexplainable way. He is not the only one. A very common phrase amongst his comrades these days is: They live so well here! Why did they bother? Why did they have to come to [insert hometown in Spain] and bomb it when they lived so well? These words are usually followed by smashing some german's porcelain. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Three days ago, in a village near Karlsbad, he finally indulged in sacking one of those houses. He stole some silver cutlery and smashed the porcelain. He did not really enjoy it, but it relieved his ennui somewhat. The family had taken refuge in a nearby barn, and he was thankful they had enough sense to just look and not try anything stupid, and kept women well hidden. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Right now, his patrol is tasked with capturing a farm, a couple of miles southwest of the city, in a strategic position overlooking the road that leads to Pforzheim. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The battle itself is almost routine by this point. Twenty soldiers assault the farm from three sides, a mortar supporting the assault from behind, a radio operator ready to call for reinforcements in case there's more than they can handle there. The unseen defenders shoot with little conviction, failing to do more than graze Sgt Gomez's shoulder. When the mortar starts firing from beyond the road and the first shell lands on the house roof, creating a nice hole and vaporizing every single window pane in the building, the shooting from inside stops. Shortly after, a white flag appears. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The men who leave the farm, their arms above their heads, are a sorry collection of 1914 veterans and highschool boys. A few cry (relief, shame). The only one resembling a Wehrmacht soldier is a sergeant, dead in the courtyard in front of the house. Gila is not sure of who has actually shot him. He has already seen enough entry wounds in these years, though, to recognize one in the back of the corpse. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He looks at his brand new Garand rifle and his shiny uniform, woven in an american factory, of american issue but dyed in the spanish army's dull brown. He looks at the germans that surrender the farm. The few who hold a gun clearly don't know much about using it. Even less actually have a service gun: a few of the Volkssturm use hunting rifles and even revolvers. They all wear uniform but, a hodgepodge of teenagers and old men, all seem to wear it like a carnival disguise. They seem to be genuinely afraid of the mighty machine that smote their comrades and where Gila plays a small cog. From a wall, a couple of Adolf Hitlers watch the scene, unfazed, claiming to see everything. He's lost count of how many of those he has seen since he entered Germany. They are everywhere. They have stopped tearing them from the walls. There are just too many. He can stay there if he wants so he can see what these untermenschen from down south do to his Reich. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The realization punches him as he gives a cigarette to one of the prisoners, little more than a kid that maybe has never smoked. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]That kid is him, in 1941. He is that kid's father, or older brother, in 1941. There was a time where he was an untrained militiaman, fighting to defend his homeland from an alien and terrible force. At some point (at training in Puerto Rico? The beaches of Andalucia? Defending Chateauroux?), there was a mutation and the roles reversed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Suddenly, Miguel Gila is not sure if the land he will return to once this war is over will be less alien than this northern land he is conquering. He gives the german the entire cigarette box. From a wall, the Adolfs keep watching Germany's defeat, unfazed.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

great update, i hope that in the post war the Soviet Union will be forced to stay in their Border.:) And europe freed from the tirany of Nazism and Comunism.

Great update Strangelove, I really like the contrast between Spain and Germany seen through the soldiers eyes, it looks like you took some inspiration from Soviet experiences on that one. Given this and the amount of pain, Spain had to endure at the hands of the Germans, will/is the Spanish Army engage in a lot of plunder in Germany?

From another dimension, far from our own, a man frozen in expression stares. He can only watch, for he cannot scream.
:D

Whoa, Doctor, I must say I am really impressed! This is probably your best update yet :)
Thank you!

Great update Strangelove, I really like the contrast between Spain and Germany seen through the soldiers eyes, it looks like you took some inspiration from Soviet experiences on that one. Given this and the amount of pain, Spain had to endure at the hands of the Germans, will/is the Spanish Army engage in a lot of plunder in Germany?

Yes, indeed. I took inspiration for that passage from several testimonies by Soviet soldiers I read in Antony Beevor's Berlin about their confusion and anger once they invaded Germany: most of their wrath was not directed as revenge for the german invasion of Russia, but rather came from their inability to understand why somebody who lived so well as the average german would bother invading their Motherland. Most of them took plundering (and, it is implied, raping) not as a way to make a profit, but to deal with those feelings by engaging in wanton destruction. The main motivation of plunder was not making a profit off plundered objects, but rather just smashing and destroying anything they could find as a final fuck you to the germans.

That for the average soldier. The good folks at the Oficina de Reconstruccion Nacional, however, will soon descend over industrial areas so plunder of factories and equipment can be made in a more constructive way.

Status
Not open for further replies.