No Jets

• Thread starter Deleted member 6086
  • Start date

Deleted member 6086

What if jets were never invented in WW2?
What would propellor planes look like today.
10000 hp quadruple Wasps?
40000 hp Super Merlins?
What do you think?

40000 hp Super Merlins?
What do you think?

No jets make for a sad day. :(

But seriously, I believe that the technology would have been invented eventually, but if it wasn't, I would think we would see aircraft similar to that seen on Crimson Skies.

Piston engine/Prop technology was pretty close to maxed out in terms of speed. Speeds of around 500MPH should of been possible but larger engines bring their own problems. Wright CO actually ran the 42 cylinder Tornado on test stands (to my knowledge it never flew) and had plans for a 70 cylinder version of the same engine. The engine was basically built up around mutiple 14 cynder units consisting of two sven cynder banks. The crankshafts of each unit were not joined to the other cranks but transfered their output through lay shafts that ran between the cylinders

Although not one myself, I'd think airship lovers would be a fan of a no jet world. Probably more use of them in different roles.

Two things to ask:

1. What about rocket-propelled planes? In other words, they would carry a liquid oxygen supply instead f getting it from an air intake. I suggest these may however be impractical due to the need to carry your oxgen with you, in terms of keeping weight down. Might as well have jets...

2. What was the situation for, say, transatlantic and other long-distance flying prior to the introduction of passenger jets? could it still be possible, and with slower speeds, how much worse will 'jet lag' (the term won't for obvious reasons be invented, can anyone think of an alternative?) be?

If such is impractical, will we have to bring back the dreaded airships? (I suppose there are some on here who will like that...)

Deleted member 6086

Two things to ask:

1. What about rocket-propelled planes? In other words, they would carry a liquid oxygen supply instead f getting it from an air intake. I suggest these may however be impractical due to the need to carry your oxgen with you, in terms of keeping weight down. Might as well have jets...

2. What was the situation for, say, transatlantic and other long-distance flying prior to the introduction of passenger jets? could it still be possible, and with slower speeds, how much worse will 'jet lag' (the term won't for obvious reasons be invented, can anyone think of an alternative?) be?

If such is impractical, will we have to bring back the dreaded airships? (I suppose there are some on here who will like that...)
Actually,jet lag would actually be much better of we flew slower.
Jet lag comes from a fast and frequent change of time zones,and our body clock would be able to adjust better if we flew in propeller planes or the much-loved(by steampunk writers) airships.

40000 hp Super Merlins?
What do you think?

Unfortunatly for this thread, Frank Whittle submited his first patent for a jet engine in 1930. The world's first jet plane, the He 178, flew in August 1939. So jet engines are going to develop anyways in our world, although their development may be somewhat retarded.

Unfortunatly for this thread, Frank Whittle submited his first patent for a jet engine in 1930. The world's first jet plane, the He 178, flew in August 1939. So jet engines are going to develop anyways in our world, although their development may be somewhat retarded.

Or we could just move the POD back to '30.

bard32

Banned
40000 hp Super Merlins?
What do you think?

No jets in World War II? That would be impossible. Piston engine airplanes had
gone as far as they could go. The possibilities could have been either more
piston engine airplanes, or a hybrid, like the XP-81. Go to www.wikipedia.com/xp81 for more information.

Surely they can us the oxygen present in the atmosphere? At least to some extent? In any case, I think rocket planes were only ever going to be useful as a short-range interceptor, like the Me-163, or as a hybrid piston-rocket plane. Like the experimental Sunders-Roe interceptor of the 1950s, but with a mix of rocket-and-piston engines, rather than rocket-and-jet. With the same rationale - high-altitude bomber interceptor.
That would look great, but the problem is then how you protect the propeller at high - possibly supersonic - speeds.
...If such is impractical, will we have to bring back the dreaded airships? (I suppose there are some on here who will like that...)
Burn the Heretic!
;)

The Soviets had several mixed power fighters in the war. Even the old Polikarpov I-16 was given rocket assist.

LA-5R, propeller with rocket assist

il2fb%202006-12-04%2015-03-35-98.jpg

Yak-3R propeller with rocket assist

il2fb%202006-12-04%2015-04-00-93.jpg

MiG I-250 propeller with motorjet (technically a jet but no turbine neccessary)

il2fb%202006-12-04%2014-50-33-07.jpg

Images from Il-2 1946

Before and during World War II, the Soviets were experimenting with prop/ramjet hybrids, but these never got past the design stage.

If not the jet, the turboprop will definately come into existance at some point.

EDIT: tallwingedgoat beat me to it! with pictures!!! :D

Before and during World War II, the Soviets were experimenting with prop/ramjet hybrids, but these never got past the design stage.

If not the jet, the turboprop will definately come into existance at some point.

Turboprop is actually a turbojet plus propellers. So it's actually harder to make than a conventional jet engine.

EDIT: tallwingedgoat beat me to it! with pictures!!! :D

Here's some of the Soviet experiments you're talking about.

Bereznyakov-Isaev BI-1. A rocket fighter that predates the Me-163

standard.jpg

BI-6, a BI-1 variant with two plusejets on the wingtips in addition to the main rocket.

il2fb%202006-12-04%2015-49-42-64.jpg