No Gunpowder

First off, how can the development of gunpowder technology realistically be stopped? And after that, what weapons/tactics become dominant?

First off, how can the development of gunpowder technology realistically be stopped?

It can't. You'd have to mess with physics and chemistry Dies the Fire/ASB style to do it.

And after that, what weapons/tactics become dominant?

If you're simply stopping gunpowder, eventually nitrocellulose smokeless powders or other propellants will be developed, and along with them, firearms.

If you stop all possiple propellants, you've really stepped into ASB territory, and it's going to affect other things as well, so more input's probably necessary.

There were some decent predictions in last month's version of this question.

Highlander

Banned
Although not meant to replace gunpowder, along this topic, I wonder what would have happened in the repeating crossbow became more popular? Could it replace early arquebus?

Although not meant to replace gunpowder, along this topic, I wonder what would have happened in the repeating crossbow became more popular? Could it replace early arquebus?

Probabaly not, on both accounts, due to lack of both power and accuracy.

Yeah, I should have put "Can the developement of gunpowder be stopped, and if so, what weapons and tactics become dominant"

More reasonable, how could this technology be slown down, so it is discovered later and where would it be discovered?

Stopped is utter ASB.

Slowed down will depend on your PoD.

You'll have to retard Taoist alchmey, Arab alchemy, Greco-Roman-Western science, etc....

I proposed something like this earlier. one sugstion was that europe rejects gunpowder due to slow firing rate at the time (six arrows per minute compared to 2 to 3 musket shots a minute.) this would allow invaders from the east.

It would take a BIG tradity in ancient china to prevent their discovery. Italy wouold have been on the verge afterwards.

"Can the developement of gunpowder be stopped, and if so, what weapons and tactics become dominant"
Stopped is unrealistic. To my knowledge no civilization has truly refused gunpowder, once discovered. China and Japan limited its use for several specific reasons, but they never actually rejected it.

To slow the development of fireweapons in the West, I would suggest a more peaceful and united western Europe. Gunpowder was initially introduced during the 14th century, a troubled period, and it was used mainly during sieges. The use of cannons precedes the development of personal weapons of nearly a century, IIRC.

If we imagine a more peaceful Europe, maybe united under the Holy Roman Empire flag, we would have the conditions for a slow development of firearms: while you should better weapons that you are not going to use?

I believe that by the 5~6th centuries Animal powered Artillery had reached it's limit of development.
The Medievalists did come up with the Trebucket, but that too rapidly reached state of the art.
New materials could make some minor improvements, but those were usually adopted OTL as soon as developed anyway.

The Bow also had reached it's limit, whether the English Longbow, or the Mongol Shortbow. Both took time to learn, and time to develop the necessary muscles to maintain a rate of fire.
Perhaps if some pre gunpowder genius comes up with the cammed Bow, whe can delay the Gun, as it's early use was considerd slow, clumsy and dangerous.
But once Gunpowder arrived on the battlefield, its use in Sieges, can't be stopped. From there it's use is going to expand.