No Corsica for France

In the second half of the 18th century, the island of Corsica was a curious place. Starting this time under Italian rule (as it was since before the time of Caesar), it rebelled and created the first nation founded under the ideals of the Enlightenment, beating the US by a few decades. Sadly for them, their Genoan rulers sold the island to France, who swiftly took control of the island. At first, it didn't seem it was that different from other territorial acquisitions. But because of a young Napoleon Bonaparte, one of the greatest military minds of history, the fate of France would never be the same again.

But what if France never acquires the island? Suppose either Genoa manages to get Corsica back, or the Corsican republic succeeds in getting its independence. For the short term, I can imagine it won't be considered that much of a deal, but what happens when the Little General grows up? Will he unify the Italian city-states, turn Corsica/Genoa into a world power, or God knows what?

So tell me, what happens?

Corsica was a Republic? Theodor I was crowned as King. But i don't know if he wanted a constitutional Monarchy. Or was thera another Rebellion, i don't know

what happens when the Little General grows up? Will he unify the Italian city-states, turn Corsica/Genoa into a world power, or God knows what?
Too chaotic to know. The French purchase and conquest of Corsica predates the birth of Napoleon. That means his parents' life experience will alter and that will probably prevent his birth (their parents will have sex a minute sooner or later and a different spermatozoon will fertilize the egg). Napoleon's alt-brother may be a genius or an idiot, a freedom fighter or a serial killer...

If you want a Napoleon as we know him not being butterflied away and still toy with an independent Corsica you may need a later PoD. Napoleon isn't sent to study to Mainland France (or returns early) and stays to lead the Corsicans. Still, his life experiences will change and he may evolve as a different person... but not the essential, I believe.
These events won't butterfly the French Revolution away and an Anglo-Corsican Kingdom is still likely to occur...

Too chaotic to know. The French purchase and conquest of Corsica predates the birth of Napoleon. That means his parents' life experience will alter and that will probably prevent his birth (their parents will have sex a minute sooner or later and a different spermatozoon will fertilize the egg). Napoleon's alt-brother may be a genius or an idiot, a freedom fighter or a serial killer...

If you want a Napoleon as we know him not being butterflied away and still toy with an independent Corsica you may need a later PoD. Napoleon isn't sent to study to Mainland France (or returns early) and stays to lead the Corsicans. Still, his life experiences will change and he may evolve as a different person... but not the essential, I believe.
These events won't butterfly the French Revolution away and an Anglo-Corsican Kingdom is still likely to occur...

Fair enough. So let's just say he isn't born here, and the world never gets to meet the Little General, which alone would have big consequences.

I can't really tell... but a "No Napoleon" scenario is a more common question. This thread and this other one address that possibility.

Interesting ideas.

Now let's try something else. A Butterfly Net surrounds the Bonapartes and makes sure they give birth to Napoleon Bonaparte. I know it borders ASB, but I still think it could be considered a legitimate question where either Genoa (a powerful Italian city-state) or the Corsican Republic (strong Enlightenment values), not France, has one of the greatest military minds in history.

Interesting ideas.

Now let's try something else. A Butterfly Net surrounds the Bonapartes and makes sure they give birth to Napoleon Bonaparte. I know it borders ASB, but I still think it could be considered a legitimate question where either Genoa (a powerful Italian city-state) or the Corsican Republic (strong Enlightenment values), not France, has one of the greatest military minds in history.

But what made him a military genius was his education in the military academy in France. If he stays in Corsica or his greatest possibility of getting education outside the island is limited to Genoa then probably the only thing he would become is an engineer or rather a lawyer as his father.

But what made him a military genius was his education in the military academy in France. If he stays in Corsica or his greatest possibility of getting education outside the island is limited to Genoa then probably the only thing he would become is an engineer or rather a lawyer as his father.
His father is supposed to have considered the possibility of trying to obtain him a midshipman's place in the Royal Navy...

As for a different fate for the Corsican Republic, that regime apparently received some support from the British government [IOTL] during Paoli's time: In the TL that I'm working on, 'Wider Still, And Wider', Britain learns about French plans to buy-out the Genoese claim in time to pre-empt these and sends a strong enough naval force into the area to convince Genoa that going ahead with that sale would be a bad idea: Then, as the island's formal acquisition by Britain itself (even if only as a protectorate) at that point doesn't seem advisable, "lends" our ally the King of Sardinia the money to make the purchase instead on the conditions that he only reigns over Corsica with it in a 'personal union' with his other lands, rather than with it actually incorporated into his main kingdom, and that he respects its constitution and elected government...

Thande

Donor
I used the Corsican Republic in my TL: it still gets defeated by the French, but (like OTL) comes back during the French Revolution, but with British help manages to avoid being conquered again, and Corsica becomes a model for republican government in the 19th century. One interesting aspect is that (although the extent of it is much debated) Corsica was apparently the first country to let women vote in elections in the republic's brief OTL existence, so I'm also taking advantage of that to do an alt-history of feminism and women's suffrage.

Britain refusing to accept the transfer to france and putting a small flottilla at the island to stop french occupation would have been 'easy'. Iirc the french were surprised she didnt. This also gave the french the idea that they could push the brits harder.