New Zealand settled 65.000 years ago

What if aboriginal settlers reached New Zealand this early instead of the island only settled by Austronesians about 1300 AD. What would happen to the Megafauna that historically persisted until ablut 1500 AD ? Would human settlement have the same devasting effect this early ? What would happen to the hypothetical human settlers given that they isolate for this long on very far off in the Pacific ? Which ethnic group could be realistic in this scenario ? What would be the ecological and genetic consequences ? Could speciation of human settlers occur ?

Last edited:
Regarding ecology, I'd say it depends on whether or not these alternate settlers bring rats and similar animals along with them - they probably will, considering how small, hardy and ubiquitous the damned things are. The megafauna are certainly toast either way, given how they were adapted to deal with giant eagles instead of terrestrial predators. As for the settlers, I doubt they'd bring stuff like crops and domesticates this early, so their population will most likely be relatively sparse.

Last edited:
The distance between Australia and New Zealand is over a thousand miles. While Aboriginals did have canoes, they never developed deep-sea sailing like the Polynesians did, so I think an Aboriginal settling of New Zealand is highly unlikely, especially 65,000 years ago, which was shortly after they got to Australia in the first place.

As for the settlers, I doubt they'd bring stuff like crops and domesticates this early, so their population will most likely be relatively sparse.
Probably honestly a lot more sparse than the Maori were OTL as they at least brought some Kumara over if IIRC

What if aboriginal settlers reached New Zealand this early instead of the island only settled by Austronesians about 1300 AD. What would happen to the Megafauna that historically persisted until ablut 1500 AD ? Would human settlement have the same devasting effect this early ? What would happen to the hypothetical human settlers given that they isolate for this long on very far off in the Pacific ? Which ethnic group could be realistic in this scenario ? What would be the ecological and genetic consequences ? Could speciation of human settlers occur ?
No speciation of humans-not nearly enough time for something that major!

Megafauna-the great eagles are probably doomed, as are multiple moa species. However, IOTL Polynesian rats may have been a significant contributing factor to the destruction of native bird life in New Zealand. While Australia did have native rat species, none seems to have become as invasive as the Polynesian rat, so it is possible that ITTL some megafauna species, like the smaller alpine varieties of moa, could survive the initial human contact though later contact with Polynesian and Eurasian colonists could wipe those birds out.

The people of New Zealand ITTL would be hunter-gatherers, a small and widely-dispersed population living off of fishing/seafood and wild plants. The last time this question was brought up in a thread, fern roots were suggested as a potential staple food for the hunter gatherers in the interior. Their culture could look like that of the Aboriginal Tasmanians, their probable ancestors and closest human population. However, there's definitely environmental factors that lead to their culture differentiating-no native mammals, and much more rugged mountains and colder latitudes would create different pressures and incentives on their existence.

IMO, with the largest species of moa probably extinct and New Zealand existing on the fringe of Polynesian agriculture, we would not see Polynesians replacing the Aboriginal population wholesale, but the north shore of New Zealand's north island could see farming colonies of Polynesians develop and intermarrying with the aboriginal population, creating a hybrid culture.

Proto-Australian aboriginals would never be able to migrate out there.

I do believe that the earliest time would be 1350 bce with the New Caledonians who had the same domesticated animals and plants but most importantly the seafaring ability as later maori. From there I believe these peoples could perhaps migrate to Australia.

I do not believe that it would be possible to have South Island settle, in fact until the Far East Polynesians come in with Sweet Potato theres no chance of agriculture to take place down there below Nelson.

This would help reduce Moa, also limiting the introduction Pigs and rats would help.