Neon Genesis Evangelion Fully Aired on Toonami?

I know. This is more than a bit of a stretch. But the damn thing has been itching in the back of my head since I thought it up earlier today.

Let's say that, when deciding what show they should broadcast as their first mecha program, the employees of Cartoon Network who organize the Toonami program decide to go with Neon Genesis Evangelion, rather than Gundam Wing. They (somehow) manage to sneak... Well, everything about the series past their bosses, and get it approved to be broadcast, rather than Gundam Wing was OTL.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is promptly broadcast to thousands upon thousands of children across the United States, in it's entirety.

What sort of effects does this have on the children who end up watching the entire series? (Let's say the show manages to sneak past the radar that far. Maybe even long enough to have a special broadcast of "End of Evangelion" as well.) Any effects on American culture due to a widespread broadcasting of the show, rather than having any knowledge of it limited to American otaku? Also, how badly does Cartoon Network get sued?

Last edited:
Final Toonami Moltar/First Toonami TOM1 lineup

4:00 PM - Sailor Moon
4:30 PM - ReBoot
5:00 PM - Dragon Ball Z
5:30 PM - The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
This schedule lasted from March 15 - September 24, 1999.

First Toonami 4PM-7PM lineup

This schedule consisted of
4:00 PM - Sailor Moon
4:30 PM - ReBoot
5:00 PM - Dragon Ball Z
5:30 PM - Gundam Wing
6:00 PM - Tenchi Muyo!
6:30 PM - Batman: The Animated Series
This schedule existed from July 3 - 17, 2000

If the first contact with mecha for most North American kids was NGE instead of Wing... perhaps we'll see an earlier emo movement in music.

If the first contact with mecha for most North American kids was NGE instead of Wing... perhaps we'll see an earlier emo movement in music.

Thank you for the research, kind sir.

Let me revise the OP, now.

EDIT: P.S. Gundam Wing WAS actually my first contact with Mecha as an eight year old child. I shudder to think what would have happened had I been born and raised in TTL.

P.P.S. Fuckin' nostalgia time now.

Last edited:
Effects? Possibly a set back in when Anime starts becoming mainstream popular in places that got Toonami since it introduced a lot of people to Anime, as I am sure this would have got it canceled fast.

This does make me wonder how hard the Toonami people had to work just to show the first two episodes of Evangelion during the giant robot special they had.

Effects? Possibly a set back in when Anime starts becoming mainstream popular in places that got Toonami since it introduced a lot of people to Anime, as I am sure this would have got it canceled fast.

This does make me wonder how hard the Toonami people had to work just to show the first two episodes of Evangelion during the giant robot special they had.

As I said, let's say they manage to sneak all of it past the radar and broadcast all 26 episodes.

didn't they air some episodes for Giant Robot week?
both were heavily censored if I remember correctly.

if Somehow it gets aired, the latter episodes will either be heavily censored or skipped.
Anyway, it might lead to more people realizing "cartoons =/= kids stuff".
It will set back the anime movement, and it might weaken the popularity of the Giant Mecha in the USA.

Evas on Cartoon Network?! That show is... warped would be a polite way of putting it.

Yes. I know. That's the point.

Mind you, worse stuff has gotten full runs on Toonami. Okay, well, not worse. But relatively "adult" stuff has gotten on there, at least. See Tenchi and Outlaw Star.

I could see it being on Adult Swim.

Yeah, but adults can handle the show, in terms of the... Ah-hem... Mental effects it causes.

I'm talking about exposing a significant number of children to it at a young age. How does it affect this current generation psychologically, is what I'm asking.

Have them first air Akira on July 1998 for its tenth anniversary. Handwave it so that it becomes a huge hit, North American audiences are incredibly intrigued by its style. Thus the 1999 schedule may offer Sailor Moon and DBZ, but instead of NorAm stuff like ReBoot and Johnny Quest, they have a later block of more mature shows: Eva, and Ghost in the Shell.

Of course, both would be heavily edited. But this could have changed the shape of North American anime fandom as we know it.

*facepalm*

Why was this move? We aren't talking about a show related to alternate history. Rather, we're talking about the alternate history of a SHOW.

*facepalm*

Why was this move? We aren't talking about a show related to alternate history. Rather, we're talking about the alternate history of a SHOW.
no, we are talking about the possible effects a show would have in an alternate history where it is introduced to america differently. An Alternate history of the show would be like Misato not being near Unit-03 when it is turned on and goes on a rampage.

fero

Banned
Mientras Dios se quede en su Cielo, todo en la Tierra estara bien.

Evangelion was on latinamerican cable channel "Locomotion" during years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotion_(TV_channel)
spanish version say first time in year 2000, same chapter twice at day M-F, weekend again 5chapter in line.
Also special "Maraton de Evangelion" when 26 chapter in line in a day, dont remember they show the movie, I see that one in internet.

Locomotion was a... "adult swin" channel, mostly full of "adult" animation... then Animax come, not the same, animax dub suck, seriously in mostly every animax serie, Evangelion have 2 latinos dub the origina-locomotion-good and the new-animax-gay-badtraslate-wrongvoices, seriously every fan know that, second version say "eivas", "el Eiva uno".

Also Locomotion was the first canal with South Park to Latinamerica, years before that MTVLA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBHZ_fN3ljo good original antique locomotion evangelion commercial, bad grabation sorry

Regardless, this is in the wrong subforum because this is an alternate history about television programming, not television programming about AH.

Anyways could someone please look at my Akira post and critique?

@Strategos: I haven't seen Akira yet (Don't hit me) but from what I've heard about it sounds like it too would have to be heavily edited before being allowed on CN.

But I can definitely see a positive response to Akira bringing on NGE and GITS onto CN as well.

Perhaps, even if the two were edited, there will be enough interest in them by the audience that watches it that they'll go out and find the unedited versions.

So, back to my original question:

What sort of psychological and cultural impact does having children aged 6-13 watching Evangelion in 1999 have? AFAIK, all Toonami ever showed were rather idealistic shows. They certainly never showed something with the pessimism the caliber of NGE. Having such a large dose of... Well, just plain downer has to have some sort of effect on all of these ATL kids.

EDIT: Although, I will miss ReBoot and Johnny Quest. :(

Last edited: