Nearly-Dr. Thande's MSPaint Tutorial - Learn recolouring, diagonal stripes and more!

Ah, thanks. Hm, now I've got to ask you another question. So, on the subject of photoshop-type programs, which one would you recommend? I'm wondering about how I should go about getting involved with map making, and, well, the edges thing is really a bit of an irritant at the moment - especially since the setting I was thinking of doing a map for has more puppet states than the average!

Well, anyways, thanks for your answers, and thanks in advance about the new one. :)

I use Adobe Photoshop for these sort of things, and a word of warning: it's complicated to use at times for fine details. It has a lot of different tools, but due to it being 'better' the brush tool fades from the center to the background color, so if you're doing borders in that program, be aware that they will not be clear and sharp, unless you use either a very specific brush (which I'm not aware of), or use the Pencil tool.

Thande's method of Paint like programs are simpler tools, but much more versatile in this arena, and if you are more familiar with it, I'd recommend them over Photoshop, as that takes a bit of time to learn.

I use Adobe Photoshop for these sort of things, and a word of warning: it's complicated to use at times for fine details. It has a lot of different tools, but due to it being 'better' the brush tool fades from the center to the background color, so if you're doing borders in that program, be aware that they will not be clear and sharp, unless you use either a very specific brush (which I'm not aware of), or use the Pencil tool.

Thande's method of Paint like programs are simpler tools, but much more versatile in this arena, and if you are more familiar with it, I'd recommend them over Photoshop, as that takes a bit of time to learn.

Or you could just use vectors in Photoshop, which are more reliable then the brush tool. I'm not here to advertise vectors, just responding to your post.

@Thande: This is a pretty good guide for MSPaint, especially for those just starting out.

Hm, well, thanks for the advice, although considering that I'm broke and Photoshop is a tad bit expensive, I can't help but doubt that it will be of much use to me in the near future... :(

Hm, I might think about checking out Paint.net, if I ever have the time...

Hm, I might think about checking out Paint.net, if I ever have the time...
You must. It is extremely user-friendly, and can do nearly everything photoshop can do. And you can turn off anti-aliasing (the fuzzy edges on paintbrush-coloured areas in photoshop) very easily.

Hapsburg

Banned
Finally, what Krall wanted: good-looking diagonal stripes.

Let's work backwards here from what we know: you want the stripes to fill a country but not spill over. In order to do that, colour your country as a
particular colour, then set that colour as the secondary colour and choose the transparent option in the left box. Then select-box around your country and
paste it over the area you want to appear in the country (in this case, some stripes).

Importantly then choose a different secondary colour (a good choice is the ocean colour, or the colour of a neighbouring country - that will make that
bit transparent and make it easier to line up the borders) and copy-paste or select and drag your stripe-filled country until it lines up over the old one.

See below.
TBH, I've never actually thought of doing that. Whenever I make stripes and such, I do it manually. It's a pain in the ass. :D

You must. It is extremely user-friendly, and can do nearly everything photoshop can do. And you can turn off anti-aliasing (the fuzzy edges on paintbrush-coloured areas in photoshop) very easily.

Hm, well, I guess I might give it a try... it's just, I'm intimidated by the fact that it's an online product, I can't help but wonder if my not-so-good internet connection will be able to take it if I try to access it...

Thande

Donor
Hm, well, I guess I might give it a try... it's just, I'm intimidated by the fact that it's an online product, I can't help but wonder if my not-so-good internet connection will be able to take it if I try to access it...

You don't access it online, you download it and then install it.

Thande, would you reccomend anything for good arrows? Whether it's the sknny 'line-like' arrows or the classic fat WW2-style arrows.
campaign2.gif