Nauru: Into the Abyss. How would they manage? A WI/AHQ

The island country of Nauru, located in Oceania, is infamous for its rags-to-riches-to-rags-again story. In the late 90s, the country was going belly up until it managed to find a few lifelines in the new millenium. Around the early 2000s, 2 sources of money primarily keeping Nauru afloat were:
1. Money from hosting Australia bound migrants, payed by the Australian government
2. Compensation from Australian government for mismanagement of the island's resources

Now my question is: how would an ATL Nauru develop if it neither had money coming from Australia to host migrants nor from compensation?

There two simple PODs for the this. The first one is that Nauru never wins a court case against Australia so never gets compensation. The next one is that the Australian government just lets the MV Tampa enter Australian waters in 2001, opting to deal with the migrants on board themselves; avoiding the whole saga and the development of offshore detention centres in Nauru.

Without these sources of income: Nauru would be truely going into the abyss around the turn of the millenium

For those who don't know, here's a link to the story(which I typed myself):