Native Americans wipe out the Europeans

What if when the Europeans came to colonize America, they didn't wipe out most of the Native Americans with virus' and other illnesses? But the AH in this thread is that the Native Americans have a the virus' and they wipe out the Europeans.

Discuss

geez, i'm sorry! Am i on your ignore list again becuase i'm not an avid historian? I would've read ot probobly but i was 5 in 1997! GIVE ME A BREAK!

just asay it nicer, maybe a "we have already heard that here" or something.

geez, i'm sorry! Am i on your ignore list again becuase i'm not an avid historian? I would've read ot probobly but i was 5 in 1997! GIVE ME A BREAK!

just asay it nicer, maybe a "we have already heard that here" or something.

Age is no excuse! I'm a mere year older than you, and it's on this year's reading list.

And if you wanted me to link every single 'Native American diseases wipe out Europeans' thread, we'ed be here all day.

Sorry for yelling, but that's kinda getting on my nerves.

AAAGGGHHH!!!

Now that it's out of my system....

What would be more interesting, but only slightly less implausible, would be Columbus' crew being wiped out by the local tribes. But the sea is much more likely to do the job if that were to happen.

This would require the Amerinds to develop a "universal antidote", and probably a super virus as well, without really any knowledge of epidemiology (how could they have much knowledge of something that has never really affected them?).
Rather implausible, obviously.

Or maybe they could invade and exterminate Europe with a weaponized hantavirus, or something, and just never physically interact with the Europeans.

What would be more interesting, but only slightly less implausible, would be Columbus' crew being wiped out by the local tribes. But the sea is much more likely to do the job if that were to happen.

This, to me, seems highly more likely than the original premise. Columbus had, what, seventy or eighty men? (if you have time to check feel free to correct) It's certainly possible for a tribe of hostile natives to overwhelm them, despite advantages in weaponry and armor.

As I recall syphillis was an American export!!!
Make this more leathal and you'll have a Europe depopulated by sexually mature individuals. If this is going to dawn upon the Amerinds is another matter and hardly interesting bearing their lack of sea-faring in mind. Could make for an Islamic/Ottoman Europe or Mongol European Khanate or a Rus Europe, however!!!:D :D :D

What if when the Europeans came to colonize America, they didn't wipe out most of the Native Americans with virus' and other illnesses? But the AH in this thread is that the Native Americans have a the virus' and they wipe out the Europeans.

Discuss

It is implausible, but not entirely impossible. Not every severe disease has to be a species-jumper. The numer of american natives and the time they spent in the Americas, is sufficient that there could have evolved a native disease that would have hit the europeans hard.

We could have, say, a 50% fatality among the europeans in North America, and a bit more in europe, where the percentage of old and very young were larger.

The problem is that this is not an "instead of".
It is an "in addition to".

It would make the germ destruction mutural. The Native Americans would still perish from European diseases in just as large numbers.

I would consider that given the population placement in the Americas and the general areas that the Europeans settled that a Native American Disease would not be present thru out the Americas, but present in geographical locations. European settlement in one area may be different than in another.

The native Americans don't have to have a disease to see off the Europeans. A mixture of brute force plus declining to support any colony actually founded would reduce the European's ability to colonise.

Tactics like this saw off the Vikings in Nova Scotia. It plus European diseases plus scurvy hit the Pilgrim Fathers so hard that they were down to fifty people of which only six or seven could work.

Of course it is not going to stop the native Americans being hit by disease. However, if the Europeans knew that colonisation of the New World was a death sentence, they might limit their excursions there to just trading expeditions.

The ceasing of European colonisation would allow the development of a disease resistant native American population