Muslim terrorist attack on New York and Washington D.C. during the 1960s

What would happen if there was a Muslim terrorist attack against both New York and Washington D.C. during the 1960s? How would it affect the hippie counterculture movement? Edit:Given that it would pose a challenge to pacifism which is one of the movement's main rallying points, if not discredit it. Would it come to an end earlier than OTL? Also, how would it affect the Cold War? Would the United States shift it's focus away from the Soviet Union?

Last edited:
Wasn't there any extremist Muslims in the United States in the 1960s? The only radical group I know is the Nation of Islam led by Louis Farrakhan, which was a black supremacist group rather than something like AQ or ISIS.

At that time muslim fundamentalist literature was being published by US universities , there is zero chance of this happening.It’s like saying RN bombarding Boston harbor or Canada attacking US in same time period.
Earliest such attack could be early 80s
Anti Sadat Sunni and pro khomeini Shia groups could

Wasn't there any extremist Muslims in the United States in the 1960s? The only radical group I know is the Nation of Islam led by Louis Farrakhan, which was a black supremacist group rather than something like AQ or ISIS.

Yeah, if the NOI had commited atrocities in the 1960s, public-opinion woulda lumped it together with other forms of "black militancy", along with the Panthers and company, rather than "Islam".

In the 1960s, there were a lot of third-world resistance movements whose members were either Muslim or from Muslim backgrounds, but they tended to channel their greivances through left-wing movements, rather than religious ones.

This might actually work better as a Challenge than as a WI, ie. find a way to have militant Islam emerge about a decade earlier.

At that time muslim fundamentalist literature was being published by US universities , there is zero chance of this happening.It’s like saying RN bombarding Boston harbor or Canada attacking US in same time period.
Earliest such attack could be early 80s
Anti Sadat Sunni and pro khomeini Shia groups could
Not to mention, this was the first well-known case of Arabs hijacking a plane. This predated 9/11 by 16 years.

In the 1960s, there were a lot of third-world resistance movements whose members were either Muslim or from Muslim backgrounds, but they tended to channel their greivances through left-wing movements, rather than religious ones.
There were Muslim terrorist organizations in the 1970s-80s.

Here in the Philippines, the Moro National Liberation Front was established in 1972. The cause of establishment was growing discontent with Ferdinand Marcos and the Jabidah Masacre in 1968. During the 1970s, the group attempted to have the island of Mindanao secede from the Republic. This culminated it an all out war in the 1970s which saw the bloodiest battle the AFP had since WWII. The city of Jolo was destroyed in an intense bombing, naval bombardment, and urban warfare.

Sadly can't find videos of it in English, but I did find this AP Archive from 1975:

The PLO is one of them. It's the reason why Israel invaded Lebanon in 1982.

The bombing of the U.S. Marine barracks in Lebanon in 1983 was suspected to be committed by Hezbollah under the name Islamic Jihad Organization. Admittedly, this is the first time I heard the word "jihad" used in terrorism, correct me if I'm wrong.