I am very proud to announce my choice for America’s next Secretary of State -- John Kerry.

In a sense, John’s entire life has prepared him for this role. As the son of a Foreign Service officer, he has a deep respect for the men and women of the State Department -- the role they play in advancing our interests and values, the risks that they undertake and the sacrifices that they make along with their families.

Having served with valor in Vietnam, he understands that we have a responsibility to use American power wisely, especially our military power. And he knows, from personal experience, that when we send our troops into harm’s way, we must give them the sound strategy, a clear mission, and the resources that they need to get the job done.

Barack Obama - November 21, 2008

"This is going to be a very short political career. I am not running for office. I'm not a candidate for public service at any time today or in the future."

Mo Cowan - December 1, 2008

Clinton Calls for Increased Child Tax Credits as Part of Stimulus

The New York Times - January 10, 2009

We're going to be in the Hudson

Captain Chesley Sullenberger - January 15, 2009

On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord. On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn-out dogmas that for far too long have strangled our politics. We remain a young nation. But in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness.

Barack Obama, Inaugural Address - January 20, 2009

Last edited:
Secretary Kerry Highlights Relationships with Asia on First Foreign Trip

The Washington Post - February 15, 2009

Government is promoting bad behavior. . . . Do we really want to subsidize the losers’ mortgages? This is America! How many of you people want to pay for your neighbor’s mortgage? President Obama, are you listening? How about we all stop paying our mortgages! It’s a moral hazard.

Rick Santelli - February 15, 2009

Clinton Calls for Increased Troop Presence in Afghanistan

The New York Times - February 16, 2009

Far from retreating from public life, Senator Clinton has approached her role as Senator with renewed vigor. Sources tell ABC news she was instrumental in securing the inclusion of a child tax credit and increased funding for lead removal and Head Start in the stimulus bill President Obama signed earlier today, and she was the lead sponsor of the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. In the coming weeks, her attention will turn to health care reform, where she is expected to push for the inclusion of family leave insurance...

Jonathan Karl - February 27, 2009

Houston Joins Other Cities Nationwide in Tea Party Protest

Houstonist - February 27, 2009

Last edited:
Coakley Elected to Senate

Boston Globe - April 15, 2009

“New York and the nation are ready to start a new chapter. The time has come for full marriage equality. I commend the Governor for his leadership on this important issue. If Iowa can do it, so can we.”
Senator Hillary Clinton - April 16, 2009

"The President continues to believe that this is an issue for the states to decide."

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs - April 17, 2009

In Washington today, Senator Clinton introduced a bill to regulate airlines. The bill comes in response to the crash of Continental Connection Flight 3407 in Buffalo, New York, and one day ahead of Senator Clinton's anticipated speech announcing a family leave bill...

Katie Couric, CBS Evening News - May 14, 2009

I told Carrie she needed to get back to work and honor her contract with the Miss California USA organisation and I gave her the opportunity to do so.Unfortunately it just doesn't look like it's going to happen and I offered Keith my full support in making this decision.

Donald Trump - June 11, 2009

Protests Flare in Tehran as Opposition Disputes Vote

The New York Times - June 13, 2009

We are deeply troubled by the reports of violent arrests and possible voting irregularities.

Secretary of State John Kerry - June 15, 2009

We must hold the clerics accountable. That is why I was pleased to cosponsor Senator Menendez's bill establishing tough new sanctions on indivuals found to have violated human rights.

Senator Hillary Clinton - June 16, 2009

The Constitution: Another Document They Never Read

Sign at a Tea Party rally on the national mall - July 4, 2009

And Here's Senator Franken

The New York Times - July 7, 2009

An American icon of politics is dead. Massachusetts senator Edward Kennedy passed away Tuesday night after suffering from brain cancer.

Michelle Geilan, CBS Evening News - August 26, 2009

You lie!

Representative Joe Wilson, during a Presidential address on health care reform - September 9, 2009

Americans want health care reform, but they don't want government takeover.

Representative Mike Pence, Taxpayer March on Washington - September 12, 2009

The Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama’s vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

Norwegian Nobel Committee - October 9, 2009

Americans were mesmerized today by an incredible drama playing out on live television. A homemade helium mylar balloon believed to be carrying a six-year-old boy was racing out of control across the skies of Colorado.

Katie Couric, CBS Evening News - October 15, 2009

Affordable, quality healthcare must be a basic right for all, and not a privilege for the few

Senator Paul G. Kirk - October 27, 2009

Senator Clinton has scored another legislative victory as President Obama signs the Quality Child Care for America Act, but it remains to be seen whether her proposal to include family leave insurance in the health care bill will survive contact with more conservative senators.

Wolf Blitzer, CNN - October 17, 2009

This race is about me and Jon Corzine, and I think the public will ultimately decide it on that basis.

Chris Christie - October 22, 2009

I am a strong supporter of civil unions. As you say, I have been to this point unwilling to sign on to same-sex marriage primarily because of my understandings of the traditional definitions of marriage. But I also think you’re right that attitudes evolve, including mine. And I think that it is an issue that I wrestle with and think about because I have a whole host of friends who are in gay partnerships. I have staff members who are in committed, monogamous relationships, who are raising children, who are wonderful parents. And I care about them deeply. And so while I’m not prepared to reverse myself here, sitting in the Roosevelt Room at 3:30 in the afternoon, I think it’s fair to say that it’s something that I think a lot about. That’s probably the best you’ll do out of me today.

Barack Obama - October 27, 2009

Obama Signs Hate Crimes Bill

New York Times - October 28, 2009

I am ready to go to work, to serve you, and to help lead Virginia

Virginia Governor-Elect Bob McDonnell - November 3, 2009

The Caribbean island of Haiti has been rocked by its biggest earthquake in more than 200 years.

ABC News Australia - January 13, 2010

The President ordered a swift, coordinated, aggressive response and that's exactly what we've been doing.

Secretary of State John Kerry - January 14, 2010

I thank the people of Massachusetts for electing me as your next United States senator!

Ed Markey - January 19, 2010

It's tempting to look back on these moments and assume that our progress was inevitable -– that America was always destined to succeed. But when the Union was turned back at Bull Run, and the Allies first landed at Omaha Beach, victory was very much in doubt. When the market crashed on Black Tuesday, and civil rights marchers were beaten on Bloody Sunday, the future was anything but certain. These were the times that tested the courage of our convictions, and the strength of our union. And despite all our divisions and disagreements, our hesitations and our fears, America prevailed because we chose to move forward as one nation, as one people.

Again, we are tested. And again, we must answer history's call.

Barack Obama, First Official State of the Union Address - January 27, 2010

As the health care negotiations enter another day, the inclusion of a family leave insurance plan continues to form a major sticking point...

Anderson Cooper - February 2, 2010

The Obama-Pelosi-Reid agenda is going to leave us less secure, more in debt, and more under the thumb of big government.

Sarah Palin, Keynote Speech at the National Tea Party Convention - February 5, 2010

This is a big fucking deal.

Joe Biden - February 22, 2010

The final health care bill, which includes an optional family leave plan and no public option, is certainly less than what liberals in Congress wanted, but certainly a major victory for President Obama. It remains to be seen whether he can translate that victory into momentum for the next item on his legislative agenda, the cap-and-trade bill.

Anderson Cooper - February 23, 2010

The U.S. Coast Guard has confirmed that an oil rig off the coast of Mexico has sunk and now poses a major environmental threat.

Ali Velshi, CNN - April 22, 2010

Standard & Poor's downgrade Greek credit rating to junk status

The Guaridan - April 27, 2010

Democrats Withdraw Offshore Drilling Provisions from Energy Bill

The New York Times - May 8, 2010

The American people should know that from the moment this disaster began, the federal government has been in charge of the response effort.

Barack Obama - May 27, 2010

BP installs bigger cap on ruptured Gulf wellhead

Reuters - July 13, 2010

Financial Overhaul Signals Shift on Deregulation

New York Times - Juy 15, 2010

Carte Goodwin Says No to Cap on Emissions

Politico - July 16, 2010

Obama Signs Legislation Overhauling Financial Rules

New York Times - July 21, 2010

Afghanistan war logs: Massive leak of secret files exposes truth of occupation

The Guardian - July 25, 2010

Plaintiffs challenge Proposition 8 under the Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment. Each challenge is independently meritorious, as Proposition 8 both unconstitutionally burdens the exercise of the fundamental right to marry and creates an irrational classification on the basis of sexual orientation.

Judge Vaughn Walker, ruling in Perry vs. Schwarzenegger - August 4, 2010

Operation Iraqi Freedom is over, and the Iraqi people now have lead responsibility for the security of their country.

Barack Obama - August 31, 2010