MotF 249: The Early Bird

MotF 249: The Early Bird

The Challenge

Make a map showing the effects of a technology being invented or widely adopted earlier than in our world.

The Restrictions

There are no restrictions on when the PoD of your map should be. Fantasy, sci-fi, and future maps are allowed.

If you're not sure whether your idea meets the criteria of this challenge, please feel free to PM me or comment in the main thread.
---
Entries will end for this round when the voting thread is posted on Monday, February 15, 2022 (Extended by a week).
---
PLEASE KEEP ALL DISCUSSION ON THE CONTEST OR ITS ENTRIES TO THE MAIN THREAD.
Any discussion must take place in the main thread. If you post anything other than a map entry (or a description accompanying a map entry) in this thread, you will be asked to delete the post.

Don't forget to vote on MotF 248!

Last edited:
2UpiXHP.jpg

"Once you see it, the bomb is amazingly simple."

If ever an event in human history can be said to have been resolved by deus ex machina, the Second World War qualifies. By December 2, 1942, the Axis powers seemed to be on the verge of victory - in the east, German armies had seized Stalingrad and the north Caucasian oil fields, while in the west, the Western Allies' Operation Sledgehammer had been contained in Brittany and was slowly being pushed back into the sea. On the other side of the world, however, in an uninhabited valley north of Fontana Lake, TN, American scientists successfully tested the world's first atomic bomb.

When the so-called 'Manhattan Project' was authorized in January 1942, no one - not political leadership, not the military, nor its own scientists - expected such a quick result. The bomb turned out to be simple enough that arguably, any major power which had chosen to invest seriously into nuclear research could have produced one - as borne out by the rapid proliferation of atomic capabilities in the post-war era.

In April 1943, an atomic bomb was dropped over Essen - the first ever used in wartime. After this, the formidable Axis war machine quickly began to evaporate. In May, Marshall Petain abrogated the Armistice of Compiègne and brought France back to the Allied side. In July, a royal coup in Italy removed Mussolini from power and sought an armistice with the Allies. By October, American forces had entered the smoldering ruins of Berlin and by early November, Fuhrer Goring unconditionally surrendered the rest of Germany's forces.

The Allies' wartime unity began to fray almost as soon as the last shot was fired. The first and sorest flashpoint was the fate of eastern Poland, which remained under brutal Soviet occupation. The Polish government - returned from London to Warsaw to greet the victorious Home Army in early 1944 - and its British and French partners were enraged by Roosevelt's lack of willingness to press Stalin on the issue. Starting in 1945, President Wallace's even softer line on the Soviet Union and insistence on emphasizing the need for decolonization drove a even deeper wedge between the Western powers.

Similarly tense was the relationship between the restored French Fourth Republic in Paris, headed by Pierre Laval, and General de Gaulle's competing Free French faction, which retained control of much of France's African colonies. Britain withdrew its support for de Gaulle in mid-1943, but Washington continued to press for a power-sharing arrangement - something neither side was willing to accept.

On the far side of the world the victorious Kuomingtang government in China retained deep grudges against the Western powers for their perceived condescending attitude, betrayal of Chinese forces deployed to Burma, unwillingness to renegotiate the status of the remaining three Western colonies in China, and refusal to allow Chinese forces more than a symbolic role in the occupation of Japan.

Ten years have now passed since the end of the war, and the world has been divided into quarters. In the Western hemisphere, the United States under President Dewey seeks to balance the dual goals of dismantling the European empires while containing the spread of Communism. Across the Atlantic, the colonial powers of the Western Union - headed by Prime Minister Churchill and President Darlan - face the near-impossible task of simultaneously maintaining their global empires and keeping Soviet influence out of Eastern Europe. For its part, the Soviet Union under newly-minted Chairman Beria seeks to break the dual containment of the WU in the West and the Americans in the East by funding communist movements across the world - an approach which is increasingly successful in Asia and the Middle East. Finally, the so-called 'Fourth World,' led by the rising powers of China, India, and Egypt, seek to carve out new spheres of influence for themselves outside of the great powers of old.

Last edited:
WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US?
a Britannic Manifesto

FxAo6PK.png

So, this was a tough one for me to decide, but I think I finally reached a good idea and pulled it well.

The essential idea is a Roman industrial revolution, specifically one starting in the late reign of Augustus and kickstarted by the inventions of Vitruvius, who hence gets to have his name attached to the notion of "industrial". I know it's a cliché, that's why I ditched my original idea of a pan-Empire map (which would have the twist that the Roman industrial revolution had led to an end of slavery as a system and generally improved lives, even if still dealing with many great societal injustices), and decided to focus on a province. My first thought was Hispania, but I wasn't seeing what twist to give it; I just happened to be reading a book including a few articles about the Indian independence movement, so the idea of a coal-rich Britannia revolting against a Roman Empire that takes a lot and gives back to little would be interesting. So here we have it, with a Monty Python reference to tie it all together.

Now, there's a bunch of things I thought about including in the map that I didn't have the space/time to put, so here's some extra depth:

1. I imagine the Britannic independence movement would be internally divided among different class interests, namely between a Briton working class, toiling under what must imagine were horrific even for OTL's standards of early industrial economy, wanting to improve their livelihoods, get decent paychecks and actually gain something from their labour; the traditional chieftains and druids, wanting their old privileges and power back and to kick out the Romans, but reactionary towards the new machinery that they associate with Roman exploitation and with further social tensions, and a rising Briton bourgeoisie (mostly traders) who just want their country's mineral wealth to be in their hands, rather than the hands of faraway Romans. Whether these three parts would stick together to kick out the Romans and then fight, or whether they would split first and oppose the Romans individually, I'm not sure. Both are plausible scenarios that have happened historically.

2. I can imagine Roman Britannia to be a quagmire for the Empire, indispensably wealthy and yet so difficult of controlling, with the legions being forced to repress the population on a quotidian basis, causing a climate of further hatred. It would even be possible for Roman soldiers, returning to Britannia for the nth time, to deal with further uprisings there to protect the coal mines of the wealthy, would start to wonder who the true liability to their lives are, the Britons or the Empire...

3. I can just see global warming happening like crazy here. In fact, I have this idea for a sequel to this map that would just be the Roman Empire facing all of the above + an agricultural crisis over the fact that the climate is shifting and the Nile's Delta is UNDERWATER

TSR in decembrist russia.png

Fulton on Wheels:

An earlier railroad
In a world where beyond all odds, Lazare Hoche's expedition to Ireland succeeded, Robert Fulton had a major breakthrough on his travels to France-the rail road. Like in our timeline, Fulton showed the Emperor everything he knew about steam ships. But the little Corporal remained unimpressed. In order to win over NapoleonFulton showed Napoleon his rough ideas for a steam locomotive and a rail road. Napoleon, a master of military movement, realized the possibilities of such an idea and he spends as much as he's able to build these railroads all over Europe.

Russian troops marching westward in a doomed effort to defeat Napoleon on the battlefield find a Europe much more different from Russia than they'd imagine. Steam engines on wheels, constitutions, nationalism, etc. Less than a generation later, many of these same soldiers got a chance to take what they saw and implement it when they seized power in a coup not too dissimilar from OTL's Decembrist Uprising. This allowed for a more energetic colonization of Alaska and the Russian Far East, and a MUCH earlier Trans-Siberian Railway.

z4d1qiR.jpg

I've got an essay due tomorrow so I don't have the time to do a proper writeup on this, but TL;DR, earlier discovery of nitric acid + general luck leads to dynamite (or roughly analogous nitre-derived explosives) being developed in Medieval Europe prior to the invention of gunpowder. An explosive process of war, centralisation and consolidation occurs until by the close of the 14th century, Europe is under the control of three 'Dynamite Empires' essentially analogous to OTL's gunpowder empires.