Most Updated UCS

Since I joined the board several years ago as a different user the UCS seems to have evolved and expanded so could members post the most current version of the UCS and overtime it could be updated using this thread...

UCS Various Colours

This is the version used by Thande on his ATL Map Database, representing what he considers to be the bare-bones UCS for the OTL timeline. Crackersncheese posted a rather more in-depth UCS key here, which he claims to have been approved as the most recent expanded UCS.

Here's a little something I whipped up a while ago - all the colours put forward for the various countries condensed into a single UCS map. I won't claim this to be complete by any means, but it does include most of the 'official' UCS keys floating around and gives a good idea of the kind of range of colours that have been used. Note that I've folded in some of the ancient and divergent shades - American French successor (Quebec), CSA, Aragon, HRE, Hunnic Empire (Ukraine), Venice (also the EU colour/s).

UCS Colours.png

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
This is the version used by Thande on his ATL Map Database, representing what he considers to be the bare-bones UCS for the OTL timeline. Crackersncheese posted a rather more in-depth UCS key here, which he claims to have been approved as the most recent expanded UCS.

Here's a little something I whipped up a while ago - all the colours put forward for the various countries condensed into a single UCS map. I won't claim this to be complete by any means, but it does include most of the 'official' UCS keys floating around and gives a good idea of the kind of range of colours that have been used. Note that I've folded in some of the ancient and divergent shades - American French successor (Quebec), CSA, Aragon, HRE, Hunnic Empire (Ukraine), Venice (also the EU colour/s).

I'm glad someone keeps track of that, the varying shades on different UCS maps (which I think originally emerged from GIF-PNG conversion) give me a headache sometimes.

Also, that map wants me to start humming Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds ;)

I'm glad someone keeps track of that, the varying shades on different UCS maps (which I think originally emerged from GIF-PNG conversion) give me a headache sometimes.

Also, that map wants me to start humming Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds ;)

Thanks - I've actually just updated it to add a few more shades from a version I thought I'd included. Conversion between formats would probably account for some of the more imperceptible differences - if you try filling in the pixels of the Papal States blob I included, there are five different shades :(

Mind you, I'm working on a slight variation using different tiers of colours to encompass the breadth of colours needed, but without getting the map over full.

Here is the first draft of my proposal for a new section, the future. In case you're wondering, the auxiliary colours are used to show an entity that is important in a certain work but has no colour (e.g. to show a Algerian puppet state). Feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• UCS Future proposal (draft 1).svg
    44.6 KB · Views: 843
Here is the first draft of my proposal for a new section, the future. In case you're wondering, the auxiliary colours are used to show an entity that is important in a certain work but has no colour (e.g. to show a Algerian puppet state). Feedback would be appreciated.

Draft looks good but svg files tend to be hard to look at on basic computers any chance it good be changed to png.

Draft looks good but svg files tend to be hard to look at on basic computers any chance it good be changed to png.

Huh? It is in PNG! The link in the word "here" shows the PNG version and the attached file is the SVG version.

In any case, would you like to make any suggestions, for example things to remove, add, change etc.?

My only issue with that version is that you have colours for countries that don't exist (Cascadia), for states part of the USA (California and Texas) yet you do not have them for Germany, Italy and the like, which are countries with importance in nearly every timeline. Additionally, isn't Democratic China just Taiwan?

Other than that it's fine :)

Edit: Upon rereading your post I see you've made a UCS for the future, which could, I suppose, explain Texas, Cali and Cascadia, so my point there is void. Would still like to see some Germany, et al though.

Erm the thing about democratic China and Taiwan is that the ROC (Taiwan) was a authoritarian state after WWII for a long time then progressed into democracy like today so it is quite confusing to have a Taiwan and Democratic China colour. It would be best to have one key for different states and another key for political structure like democracy, communist state, theocracy etc. but a version of this political spectrum idea has already been done so maybe you could modify it. Other than that seems quite good.

ocean.png

wormyguy

Banned
(At extreme risk of provoking controversy) I tried out the government shading on a current world map.

You should probably make it so that the colors for "social democracy" and "lawless anarchy" aren't the same. Or, on second thought, keep it the way it is. That way, I can annoy Hendryk with "social democratic Somalia."

worldgovernmentmap.png

Here is the second draft of my future UCS proposal and here is the current situation in the proposed scheme. The EU puppet states thing is just a joke by the way.

An explanation of the "auxiliary" colours is in my first post in this thread.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• UCS Future proposal (draft 2).svg
    55.7 KB · Views: 859
Last edited:
(At extreme risk of provoking controversy) I tried out the government shading on a current world map.

You should probably make it so that the colors for "social democracy" and "lawless anarchy" aren't the same. Or, on second thought, keep it the way it is. That way, I can annoy Hendryk with "social democratic Somalia."

The USA should be a conservative democracy. A multi party democracy is one with more than two parties. And Republicans are right wing, Democrats centrist.

And practically every muslim country should be a islamist state. Except Turkey and Albania.

The ignorance within this map is painful.

And this political scale is too cyberpunkish IMHO - I'm not complaining about the "AI Controled" government, but about the lack of classifications that could describe the OTL world.

As others said, most of those orange countries are not limited democracies, and the USA aren't exactly a good example of Multi-Party country.

Wow, that map sucks. Anything that sticks Brazil, Mexico and Russia together, while leaving SA alone in its own category... :rolleyes:

The USA should be a conservative democracy. A multi party democracy is one with more than two parties. And Republicans are right wing, Democrats centrist.
Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that. It certainly is more multi than, say, Sweden effectively were between the 40s and the 70s, what with not being dominated by a single party.