Most Naval-Dominated Major War?

IIRC, the First Punic War had a bit of fighting between the naval forces of Carthage and Rome. Also, the Quasi War was a naval war between France and the United States.

altamiro

Banned
Pacific War between Chile and Bolivia/Peru was pretty much dominated by the naval battles, and naval support of land battles.

The Pacific Theater of World War 2, since if your navy loses, you're stuck on an island, can't be resupplied, and will get starved out before dying to enemy assaults.

WW2. Navy was instrumental in protection of supply lines from the USA, invasion of North Africa, invasion of Sicily, invasion of Italy mainland, invasion of Normandy. Pacific Theater as mentioned above.

In second place would be the Spanish-American War, Naval forces in Cuba, Puerto Rico, Guam, and Manila were instrumental, and the Spanish even heavily fortified the Canary Islands expecting an American invasion there.

IIRC, the First Punic War had a bit of fighting between the naval forces of Carthage and Rome. Also, the Quasi War was a naval war between France and the United States.

The first Punic war was a major naval war. Probably the biggest ancient naval war.

Since the third Anglo-Dutch war was basicly a minor part of the Franco-Dutch war, I would say that one wasn't primarily a naval war.

The first and the second saw the French neutral and French on the Dutch side in that order. The third had the Dutch fight the french, even then the Dutch were still fighting a majority of battles against the English at sea.

The first and the second saw the French neutral and French on the Dutch side in that order. The third had the Dutch fight the french, even then the Dutch were still fighting a majority of battles against the English at sea.
You are right. The third Anglo-Dutch war was mainly a naval conflict. What I meant was that the Franco-Dutch war wasn't a naval conflict. It was a war fought on land. The Anglo-Dutch war was part of the Franco-Dutch war, so the larger conflict was not mainly a naval conflict. It is kind of like saying the Pacific war against Japan was mainly a naval conflict, but World War 2 wasn't.

The war between the Italian states and the Ottomans around 1570. I'm fairly sure Lepanto was instrumental in telling the Ottomans to get out of Europe's affairs.

- BNC