Most likely administrative divisions/states/provinces of an un-partitioned India

In a TL where India is never partitioned, what would its administrative divisions be like? (the territory I mean is modern-day India + Pakistan + Bangladesh; only these three, no Sri Lanka, Maldives, Nepal, etc.), something similar to the present day with some alterations?

This topic can be at any time period or POD that you wish, does not specifically needs to be the present-day, this can also be in a TL where India still splinters into other countries later on.

I think that it is either close of OTL with some alternatives or then modified internal borders of the Raj. Or something between of them.

Generally I would imaginate Punjab being still unified and probably West Bengal and Bangladesh remain as unified Province of Bengal.

Literally the same as Pakistan's provinces.

Punjab would for sure be united. Bengal may be as well. Jammu and Kashmir would be united. But Sindh, Balochistan, NWFP(KPk) would simply be another Indian state.

Literally the same as Pakistan's provinces.

Punjab would for sure be united. Bengal may be as well. Jammu and Kashmir would be united. But Sindh, Balochistan, NWFP(KPk) would simply be another Indian state.
So, pretty much a mixture of OTL Pakistan's provinces and India's states, except that Punjab and Bengal are united? I also wonder how Hyderabad would be doing, I am trying to find historical resources of what historical precedents led to each subdivision being created, which politicians did it, what was the reaction of the population to it, and what AH scenarios could cause them to not exist today, but this topic is more complex that I thought.

Edit: Randomly found this map, if you count only India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, could this be the most likely provinces of an unpartitioned India?

cfb1f60798bba6d6fa301b258528e5b3.jpg

Last edited:
So, pretty much a mixture of OTL Pakistan's provinces and India's states, except that Punjab and Bengal are united? I also wonder how Hyderabad would be doing, I am trying to find historical resources of what historical precedents led to each subdivision being created, which politicians did it, what was the reaction of the population to it, and what AH scenarios could cause them to not exist today, but this topic is more complex that I thought.

Edit: Randomly found this map, if you count only India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, could this be the most likely provinces of an unpartitioned India?

cfb1f60798bba6d6fa301b258528e5b3.jpg
Yes it is a complex topic.

The borders look a bit weird but those would look accurate yes except for the fact KPK would not be called Waziristan. Waziristan is just one district in KPK.