Most interesting scenario to you.

I'm curious what may have happened if the marriage of Arthur Tudor and Catherine of Aragon was officially regarded as having been consummated, all while the ill-fated Arthur dies more or less on schedule. One of three things occurs from here:

1. Catherine does not get pregnant, but did perform her wifely duties (they were married for about 5 or 6 months and were both young and attractive, so it's perfectly plausible for this to happen). One of the main reasons Catherine was allowed to marry Henry in the first place was that the marriage was never consummated, which satisfied a condition that prohibited a widow from marrying her late husband's brother. So with Catherine and Henry going their separate ways, whom do they each marry afterwards? Catherine is still a fine prospective bride for any ruling European house at this point.

2. Catherine is a pregnant widow and is fortunate enough to deliver a healthy male heir. This is especially intriguing to me because now, as the mother of the future King of England, Catherine is now afforded far more privilege and consideration than the raw deal she got in OTL. Is Catherine allowed to even re-marry? And does she get to play a large role in raising the new Prince of Wales?

3. Catherine is pregnant, but gives birth to a healthy female...but will this little girl be allowed to become the official heir. This to me causes the most amount of conflict because this infant girl would immediately become the most sought after bride in Europe once she comes of age, like a super-charged Eleanor of Aquitaine. However, could this also plunge England into an eventual succession crisis? Poor Catherine would be caught in the middle here. This scenario opens up way more possibilities to me than the other two, and what Henry decides to do is critical.
1) A wedding between Catherine and Henry will still be possible (as while the wedding was regarded as non consummated the dispensation issued for Henry and Catherine covered also the possibility who her wedding to Arthur was consummated).
2) The Duke of York will be the regent for the young King (likely ATL Henry VIII) and is not impossible who he and Katherine married (because Henry wanted Katherine and marrying him would have secured better her son’s crown)
3) Henry, Duke of York will be the new Prince of Wales and heir of his father (no way the Tudors will risk another Maud so close to the War of the Roses with an healthy male heir). For Katherine’s daughter you have three options: a) she marry her uncle the King b) she is sent in the church c) Henry’s eldest son is born early enough to marry Catherine’s daughter (pretty unlikely with Arthur dying at the OTL time)

Some more I may have briefly mentioned:
  1. Portugal manages to colonise Australia and New Zealand before the British
  2. The Russians manage to settle Western North America and then move from the Pacific Northwest to colonise Hawaii
  3. Central America industrialises before Europe or East Asia, leaving the US and Europe more agricultural and Mesoamerica more deeply tied to the US
  4. The US repatriate their slaves (and even free blacks) to Africa, and become the power that develops or controls that continent
  5. A conservative coup occurred in Russia in the 1910s, preventing the Bolshevik Revolution and perhaps (as I previously suggested for China) founding a new dynasty to replace the Romanovs
    • see ‘Did the Russian Revolution Have to Happen?’ by Richard Pipes from The American Scholar Vol. 63, No. 2 (Spring 1994), pp. 215-238
  6. “West Austria” and “East Austria” are partitioned as Germany was – how would that lead up to the present
  7. Pakistan, rather than China or India, becomes Asia’s second industrial superpower after Japan

Last edited:
South African civil war timelines. Especially if they turn into a free-for-all between "moderate" Whites and Coloureds vs radical Afrikaners vs Zulu vs Xhosa, with various other groups aligning as suits their interests.

In a Cold War context, so many potential interested parties:

• The Soviets (obviously), although their power projection is pretty low. Likely to support the Xhosa-dominated ANC.
  • The Chinese, probably supporting the Zulus (Or any Maoist-oriented anti-apartheid group).
  • The Cubans, more likely to give more active support than the Russians a la Mozambique and Ethiopia.
  • The Americans, State Department likely supporting the moderates, whilst the CIA assists the Afrikaner nationalists.
  • Various African neighbours (Botswana in support of the moderates, Mozambique in favour of the Zulu and Angola in favour of the ANC).

Alternative languages, like Romano-Greek. Timelines that address people who really never show up in timelines, like Native Americans, Aboriginal Australians, and Khoisan. I also really like utterly unrecognizeable worlds.

Personally I was always intrigued by Carthaginian victory scenarios. As much as I like Hannibal the First Punic War doesn’t get enough notoriety so POD’s involving that are cool. To me what’s most interesting is that Carthage winning either the First or Second Punic War is not going to lead to a total collapse of Rome, meaning that they are still around to play a major role after the war ends even if Carthage is the dominant player in the Med.

Last edited:
Let’s see

Blacks winning the Russian Civil war

Austro-Hungary colonizing in Africa and or Asia

A Danube federation

The Irish potato famine getting worse and leading to a communist Ireland

Operation Market Garden being successful

One of the Diadochi states successfully fending off Rome and lasting at least a few centuries longer. Probably requires an early PoD, though.

Austro-Hungary colonizing in Africa and or Asia
That’s an interesting one. It would certainly mean a different culture for independent Africa or Asia, perhaps one that would be even more authoritarian yet more able to develop economically. The problem is that the Austro-Hungarian Empire, although almost uniformly natural-resource-poor, had such low development and fertile farmland (like Central America whose early industrialisation I have always though a very good alternate history) that it was not likely to industrialise as early as the coastal states of Europe.
It's practically ASB, but I love a scenario where the horse and camel don't go extinct in the Americas and are eventually domesticated. It butterflies all Native American culture as we know it away, but does this newfound interconnectivity allow for other technology to he discovered and invented by the alternate indigenous populations, like sailing and iron working?
I have noted this in a previous post, but absence of selection for hierarchical social structures means that the horse and camel (at least the horse) not going extinct in the Americas is more local protein and hence less development of civilisation.

Last edited:
Like I always say on these sort of threads - Percy Bysshe Shelley lives a long life and becomes a British revolutionary leader leading the Chartist movement to become a radical populist republican movement.

To quote a passage from A Song to the Men of England:

"The seed ye sow, another reaps;
The wealth ye find, another keeps;
The robes ye weave, another wears;
The arms ye forge, another bears.

Sow seed—but let no tyrant reap:
Find wealth—let no imposter heap:
Weave robes—let not the idle wear:
Forge arms—in your defence to bear."

VVD0D95

Banned
Like I always say on these sort of threads - Percy Bysshe Shelley lives a long life and becomes a British revolutionary leader leading the Chartist movement to become a radical populist republican movement.

To quote a passage from A Song to the Men of England:

"The seed ye sow, another reaps;
The wealth ye find, another keeps;
The robes ye weave, another wears;
The arms ye forge, another bears.

Sow seed—but let no tyrant reap:
Find wealth—let no imposter heap:
Weave robes—let not the idle wear:
Forge arms—in your defence to bear."

Or better yet a hard core British monarchist.